Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
What makes a Wiccan a Wiccan Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:59 pm
Neko_Bast
TeaDidikai
Other examples would be people who make the Bassat claim that Christmas = Yule.

I can understand why people would do that. They celebrate the birth of the Sun/Son.(at least I celebrate the birth of the sun).....lol When you say that, people will think what they think since the two words sound the same. I know that they are not the same holiday but I feel they are very similar.

Yule is light-in-the-darkness, not the rebirth of the sun; Sunna dies at Ragnorak, not yearly. The Wiccan "Yule" has a rebirth of the son who is associated with the sun; perhaps you got them confused?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:42 pm
Neko_Bast

I can understand why people would do that. They celebrate the birth of the Sun/Son
Which "they" are you speaking of?

The Norse celebrate no such thing for Yule.
Quote:

.(at least I celebrate the birth of the sun)
Which is why it isn't a correct title for your holiday.

Quote:
I know that they are not the same holiday but I feel they are very similar.

Let's see- the birth of an incarnation of a Henothestic mortal-deity who sacrifices himself to build a new code of conduct v. a "s**t! The nasty part of the winter is over, everyone warm up together and drink mead!".

Yeah. No.  

TeaDidikai

Kalyani Srijoi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:36 am
While the names used are obviously silly, as you've shown, I don't think using them is grounds to call a person not Wiccan. Not to say that it isn't wrong or stupid to do, or even Un-Wiccan. Just saying that I don't think we should kick anyone out of our 1337 WIXXX0RZ club over it. dig?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:38 am
Kalyani Srijoi
While the names used are obviously silly, as you've shown, I don't think using them is grounds to call a person not Wiccan. Not to say that it isn't wrong or stupid to do, or even Un-Wiccan. Just saying that I don't think we should kick anyone out of our 1337 WIXXX0RZ club over it. dig?

Are you forgetting how selective Wicca is? I mean you have heard the charge of the Goddess, right?  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:23 pm
Deoridhe
Neko_Bast
TeaDidikai

I can understand why people would do that. They celebrate the birth of the Sun/Son.(at least I celebrate the birth of the sun).....lol When you say that, people will think what they think since the two words sound the same. I know that they are not the same holiday but I feel they are very similar.

Yule is light-in-the-darkness, not the rebirth of the sun; Sunna dies at Ragnorak, not yearly. The Wiccan "Yule" has a rebirth of the son who is associated with the sun; perhaps you got them confused?

I have allways heard the winter solsitce called Yule. You know ,like Yuletide greetings.... Yule is a title for the Witer Solstice that is used in more then one faith, but they might celebrate them differently. So in yours it might not be the birth/return of the sun, or son, but in mine it is. I said sun to diferenceat it from the birth of jesus (sp?) on christmas.

TeaDidikai

Which "they" are you speaking of?

The Norse celebrate no such thing for Yule.

I don't know much about the Norse so I'm sorry I assumed.

TeaDidikai

Which is why it isn't a correct title for your holiday.

Old habits die hard. I usually call it the Winter solsitce.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:11 pm
Neko_Bast
Deoridhe
Neko_Bast
TeaDidikai

I have allways heard the winter solsitce called Yule. You know ,like Yuletide greetings....

Yes, that would be the Christian misuse of a German term applied to the wrong period of time.

Neko_Bast
Yule is a title for the Witer Solstice that is used in more then one faith, but they might celebrate them differently.

Yule is originally a Germanic and Norse religious term which was appropriated,first by the Christians and later by the Wiccans. Neither of those religions observe the original holiday.

Neko_Bast
So in yours it might not be the birth/return of the sun, or son, but in mine it is. I said sun to diferenceat it from the birth of jesus (sp?) on christmas.

Yes, you are using the Wiccan meaning of the word, which was appropriated from my religion. Your welcome.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:25 pm
Deoridhe
Yes, you are using the Wiccan meaning of the word, which was appropriated from my religion. Your welcome.

Do they pronounce your religion's one correctly?
I am sick to ******** death of hearing that sam hane is a valid pronunciation or that Wiccans are entitled to co-opt the name or that they have set up a different holiday with the same name and are allowed to do so....  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:21 pm
Neko_Bast
I know that they are not the same holiday but I feel they are very similar.

Neko_Bast
So in yours it might not be the birth/return of the sun, or son, but in mine it is.

Deoridhe

Yule is light-in-the-darkness, not the rebirth of the sun; Sunna dies at Ragnorak, not yearly.

Re-arranged to make the point clear.

The holidays are not similar. Period. You are using the wrong word for your Holiday- unless we need to go into the "I'm a Tree" argument again.

It reminds me of this damn ignorant "G~Wiccan" who said she celebrated "Krystallnacht", the "Night of Crystals" celebrated on Nov. 10th.

She said it was an "ancient G~ Holiday". ~spits~ She earned a pretty crossing for that one.

Quote:
I don't know much about the Norse so I'm sorry I assumed.
That kind of assumption is the root of Fluffydom. Not a slander- just pointing it out.

Quote:

Old habits die hard.
Not really. Being told you're wrong and why you are wrong is usually a good way to go cold turkey.

Quote:
I usually call it the Winter solsitce.
Good. Keep it that way eh?  

TeaDidikai

Henry Dorsett Case

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:18 pm
TeaDidikai
It reminds me of this damn ignorant "G~Wiccan" who said she celebrated "Krystallnacht", the "Night of Crystals" celebrated on Nov. 10th.

She said it was an "ancient G~ Holiday". ~spits~ She earned a pretty crossing for that one.
Huh. I wasn't aware that Rroma celebrated the pogroms. (Fluffy)How enlightening! Perhaps you should research the history of your religion a bit better, Tea!(End Fluffy)

Eww. I feel *really* dirty for imitating a fluffy there. And my cognac isn't within ten miles of my house...I have got to get that home.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:33 am
TeaDidikai

I have, like, eighteen godbilliion ( wink )logical questions which arise from this. That's the problem, though. I'm being logical.

TeaDidikai

I was half tempted to cross that guy in the pagan shop you brought me into. You know, the one with the Ogham and Runes opposing each other. Then, when he mispronounced the word Ogham, I was really biting down the urge. Then, when he said he intended on being in Dublin for 2016, I figured there was no point. The genus loci, and we have a very malign form known locally as "skangers", will dispose of him for me.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:55 am
reagun ban
The genus loci, and we have a very malign form known locally as "skangers", will dispose of him for me.
Ah skangers, the very prominent and protective local city spirits. Usually glimpsed with a heroin syringe on a full moon while running away as fast as you can.

TeaDidikai
Kill! Kill! Kill! *shudder* I hope she was young and just hadn't done history yet....

Did she at least tell you how she celebrated it? Does it involve going around and breaking the windows of everyone in the neighbourhood?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:22 am
missmagpie
reagun ban
The genus loci, and we have a very malign form known locally as "skangers", will dispose of him for me.
Ah skangers, the very prominent and protective local city spirits. Usually glimpsed with a heroin syringe on a full moon while running away as fast as you can.

And their mating call "schweh" can be heard throughout the city.
They truly are an odd city spirit.
Though I wouldn't call them protective, as much as belligerent to all outsiders. "You ******** lookin ah me buherd?"  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:50 am
reagun ban
missmagpie
reagun ban

And their mating call "schweh" can be heard throughout the city.
They truly are an odd city spirit.
Though I wouldn't call them protective, as much as belligerent to all outsiders. "You ******** lookin ah me buherd?"
"Wassa staaary? Gimme'smoke 'ere luv."

You seen this?

Anyway... *stops derailing thread*  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:40 am
reagun ban
Deoridhe

Do they pronounce your religion's one correctly?
I am sick to ******** death of hearing that sam hane is a valid pronunciation or that Wiccans are entitled to co-opt the name or that they have set up a different holiday with the same name and are allowed to do so....

Not so far as I know; it's not a difficult word to pronounce, though. Yes, I think the Celts/Irish have it worse than us; my religion's stuff just go combined into Christianity.

They do sometimes say Yule is Celtic, though. sweatdrop  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:03 am
Deoridhe
They do sometimes say Yule is Celtic, though. sweatdrop

As it happens, there is a festival called Iúil which was celebrated by the ancient Celts. The Asatruar stole it from us when they pillaged our country in the sixth century while Ireland was populated with peace loving Wiccans, who called themselves Druids at the time as well as Wiccan. whee  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff