Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Merits and Flaws of the Broom Closet Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

godhi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:45 am
Reijin-chan
I follow a loose "don't ask, don't tell" policy. I feel that spirituality is personal, and is really not any of anyone else's business. I do, however, wear a small pentacle, and if someone asked me about it (and didn't seem confrontational or creepy) I'd tell them what it was.

But I don't agree with Silver's telling everyone she passes. I've told my family my close friends, and my boyfriend. And I do make sure my roommates are aware of it, so if they smell incense or hear chanting or something coming from my bedroom, it doesn't freak them out. But if I'm on a job interview, it's none of their business, and they don't need to know.

That's pretty much my view on the subject. My particular problem with living in the Broom Closet that as a matter of personal safety, I am often forced to hide the true nature of my faith.
I happen to live in Orange County, California--the Bible Belt of the West, although there are a few other places (such as Bakersfield) that might be considered just as "right wing" conservative. There are more fishes on bumpers per capita in Orange County than just about anywhere in the state, and only a few blocks away from my place of residence is a house owned by the Set Free Church--a conservative Christian fellowship under the leadership of Pastor Phil Aguilar which borders on the status of a cult. The members are reformed outlaw bikers, drug addicts, and ex-convicts who have a long history of harassing Pagans, and there are rumors that Set Free members have physically threatened and abused Pagans who have worn pentacles and other non-Christian religious symbols or made the mistake of mentioning their faith to them. These people frighten me, and I'm not someone who is usually intimidated.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:31 am
godhi

That's pretty much my view on the subject. My particular problem with living in the Broom Closet that as a matter of personal safety, I am often forced to hide the true nature of my faith.-snip-
It reminds me of the Asatru Blot v. KKK thing that happened in the south a while ago- only it doesn't look like yours turned out so well.  

TeaDidikai

VisasMarr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:12 pm
I had not really put much thought into the subject until this topic was posted.

TeaDidikai

So- how do folks feel about "The Broom Closet"?

After reading this thread, the closet seems like a nice place to be. I think I'll keep it handy.

TeaDidikai

How do folks feel about avoiding the subject?

I know some people find lying abhorrent, I suppose it's not really lying, just an omission of the truth. When people ask now, I just say that I'm not christian. As that is what people typically assume a white women in Canada would be.

TeaDidikai

How about telling people a lie to hide your faith?

In general, I think it is inappropriate to ask someone of their religious/spiritual leanings unless in a community (such as this one) or a rapport has been built. So when someone asks me, and I believe that they have crossed the line, so to speak - I simply don't tell them anything, and if they're really persistant, I might lie about it. I have not, as of yet lied about my religious/spiritual choice, but I would if the situation calls for it.

TeaDidikai

So- Parents and the Broom Closet.

Now- my father's side of the family is where I get most of my tradition. My Mother's side of the family, is where I find causual interests. (Nana, my mother's mother- took me to "Psychic Camp" when I was a kid. ~shrugs~ )

Now- to this day, my mother believes her mother is going to hell for "consorting with spirits". She also thinks I "worship witches".

But then, I wasn't shy about disagreeing with my mother because of the relationship she and I had.

I avoid the subject with my parents. In my fluffier days I told my family I was "Wiccan." True or not, my parents constantly put me down for it. I don't think they meant to be malicious, but it hurt. So now I just tell them that I am not christian, and my religious choice is my own. The conversation doesn't usually go beyond that.

TeaDidikai

Do I advocate children breaking hospitality? No. But that hospitality begins and ends with actions. Not beliefs.

I don't understand this, could you explain it to me either here or by pm? I am confused o.O  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:40 pm
VisasMarr

TeaDidikai

Do I advocate children breaking hospitality? No. But that hospitality begins and ends with actions. Not beliefs.

I don't understand this, could you explain it to me either here or by pm? I am confused o.O

Hospitality, that is respect for those who are guests and those who are hosts (in this case, the Parent or legal guardian), extends to actions, but not to opinions, thoughts, beliefs or faiths.

For example, racial slurs are a strict tabboo in my household. When Reagun came to visit, he had to change the way he naturally spoke in order to avoid breaking hospitality.

Within my mother's household, after my father's death I was not allowed to follow family traditions that his side of the family kept. My candles were taken away, as were my bowls and my Baba's rosary was not passed on to me the way it should have been.

Do I think children should sneak candles and the like? No. But that won't stop them from praying silently to themselves. And good on them for doing so.  

TeaDidikai

Pelta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:28 am
VisasMarr
In my fluffier days I told my family I was "Wiccan." True or not, my parents constantly put me down for it.
Funny, when I first told my parents I was pagan they assumed I meant Wicca. My dad asked out of curiousity if the stones spreads I was using were Wiccan, and I kindly explained to him that I'm not. They don't really know where I stand because I tend to laugh at pop pagan mumbo jumbo, yet they know I'm also somehow a part of it.

For example, I laughed out loud at the photos of the stonehenge solstice celebrations this year. They wore wizard hats and called themselves druids! rofl  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:24 am
i've been completly out of the broom closet and i've stayed in totally at diffrent points in my life....
personally i find the best approach is to not talk about it unless a religious debate springs up (And really how many of those spring up in everyday life)  

ketchakik

Boadicia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:41 pm
missmagpie
VisasMarr
In my fluffier days I told my family I was "Wiccan." True or not, my parents constantly put me down for it.
Funny, when I first told my parents I was pagan they assumed I meant Wicca. My dad asked out of curiousity if the stones spreads I was using were Wiccan, and I kindly explained to him that I'm not. They don't really know where I stand because I tend to laugh at pop pagan mumbo jumbo, yet they know I'm also somehow a part of it.

For example, I laughed out loud at the photos of the stonehenge solstice celebrations this year. They wore wizard hats and called themselves druids! rofl

Seriously? They wore wizard hats? Like Harry Potter, or Mickey Mouse as the Sorceror's Apprentice? eek  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:56 pm
I don't generally tell people I'm Pagan right away. I've had too many bad experiences with people I thought were friends to want to tell a perfect stranger. That said, I don't particularly take pains to hide it, either. I wear my significant symbols, like any Christian would. That is my right. I answer questions when asked and try to dispel any myths that may come about during canversation.
I'm never the first to bring it up, but I don't dodge the issue.  

spaceprincess18

Pelta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:25 am
Boadicia
missmagpie

Seriously? They wore wizard hats? Like Harry Potter, or Mickey Mouse as the Sorceror's Apprentice? eek
YES! I was looking for photos to post up here but they were all for subscription newspapers.

It was hilarious. The Guardian had this fantastic photo of two pointy hats in robes walking towards Stonehenge with a caption reading something like "Wizards and Witches gather at Stonehenge for Solstice Celebrations."

There's even a "druid" who officiates over the ceremonies there for both solstices who calls himself King Arthur Uther Pendragon. I'm actually not kidding...  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:59 am
missmagpie

Was there someone in dirty and tattered robes wearing a pointy hat which spelled out 'WIZZARD' in tacky sequins? blaugh  

godhi

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:26 am
godhi
missmagpie

Was there someone in dirty and tattered robes wearing a pointy hat which spelled out 'WIZZARD' in tacky sequins? blaugh
Pratchett LOVE. heart

If I lived anywhere near Stonehenge I would totally do that.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:31 am
I suppose you could say I'm completely out of the broomcloset - insofar as I now constantly wear the main symbol of my religion, my Thor's Hammer. It is small and silver and I love it. heart Funny thing is, I went from never wearing jewelry regularly to wearing a necklace and ring constantly, and no one has said a word. It'll be interesting to see if anyone ever asks about the necklace.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:42 am
TheDisreputableDog
godhi
missmagpie

Pratchett LOVE. heart

You realize it would only count as a true homage if you ran thru Stonehenge, screaming for mercy while running in absolute terror right? wink  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:45 am
Deoridhe
I suppose you could say I'm completely out of the broomcloset - insofar as I now constantly wear the main symbol of my religion, my Thor's Hammer.
Nobody ever asks about mine either. I've been wearing the symbol of my god for three years straight now, never taking it off. Nobody ever clicks. Except my dad. ninja

But people just assume it's a pretty necklace. They say, "Ooh I really like your necklace," and never ask anything else. They never even wonder about why it's sunstone and not amber...

People really aren't that observant. I took off my Claddagh ring because I thought it made things too easy. Makes no difference.  

Pelta

Pelta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:47 am
Kuroiban
TheDisreputableDog
godhi
missmagpie

Pratchett LOVE. heart

You realize it would only count as a true homage if you ran thru Stonehenge, screaming for mercy while running in absolute terror right? wink
With a Luggage with hundreds of legs close behind! blaugh  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces