Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
De-stickying of the BritPol thread. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:49 pm
Reply crafted and sent..

Reply to L0cke, 23:48
L0cke
I spoke with danj about your thread.

He felt that it was more of a hangout thread and didnt have enough solid content for discussion so he moved it. Basically, I think in ED, threads like: "abortion. discuss." are not really welcomed since they are too generalized. Being more specific about your thread such as: "Abortion. At what point does a fetus have human rights? I think, blah, blah, blah for a few sentences or whatnot." and you have a decent thread with some discussion value for people.

While there is plenty to discuss if you just say "British politics" or "abortion" there are too many directions that subject can take and it doesnt lend itself well to overall discussion. I think that Danj's decision was based on that simple fact ^^

If you would like to discuss this case further please pm back and we'll continue :]

best wishes,

-L0cke

Thankyou for starting to look into the issue. Though if it is the case that the thread was actually not of an ED razz olitics standard then could my name be formally cleared of these apparent spam-warnings, as well as the threats by Danjel to take further action against my account.

The generic British thread was made by me at his own suggestion as well as with support of another moderator. I'm not sure I can be blamed entirely for following directly the advice given to me by moderators.

Danjel
Invictus_88
It is simply that British politics has very considerable importance on the world's political stage. An importance which cannot be reflected on the front page because of the great prevalence of US discussion and US repeat threads.

If the UK is so important, then you should feel free to create threads in ED-P just as anyone else does.

This applies specifically to Danjel though, as ED razz is his realm and so his suggested threads should not usually be later dropped to GD with a spam-warning for the thread-creator. I accepted that he would not re-sticky the original thread and followed his suggestion that I make a nation-specific thread in ED razz "just as everyone else does".

To offer advice, and then threaten "further action against" my account when I follow it amounts to what is at best an example of deep misunderstanding which needs immediate correction; and at worst, setting someone up for a fall.

If it was merely a mistake on the part of Danjel, then I should probably have the black marks against my name completely removed as well as having clarification as to whether the inconsistency is in his suggestion that I make a British thread, or in his taking action against me when I did so.

Is it yet safe for me to move gold and items back into this account, or is it still at risk from further action by Danjel?

Thankyou again,

Invictus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:40 pm
Danjel
Invictus_88
It is simply that British politics has very considerable importance on the world's political stage. An importance which cannot be reflected on the front page because of the great prevalence of US discussion and US repeat threads.

If the UK is so important, then you should feel free to create threads in ED-P just as anyone else does.

To be honest, I don't think he meant to make a thread for British politics in general; this seems like more of a suggestion to make threads when and if there are political issues you feel inclined to discuss. In my opinion, the whole affair is probably an example of misunderstanding rather than deliberate persecution by Danjel. He may have been a bit heavy-handed in the issuing of spam warnings, but I really don't believe that he set out with an agenda to set you up and if he didn't have an agenda then it isn't really an abuse of moderator powers; at worst it shows poor judgement.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Ares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:20 pm
What if an American were to make a BritPol thread? I'm not british, so he shouldn't hate me.....

But he probably will simply because of my sig. Oh well. I'll make another one that is more to his liking....*enter evil laugh here*  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:33 pm
Nebelstern
Let's just hope that something positive comes from this. I was under the impression that L0cke was a terribly harsh moderator. I think Illy told me that sometime or other...

I can assure you, L0cke is anything OTHER than harsh. He's fair, balanced and really a rather lovely guy...so I have no idea where you heard otherwise, but it certainly wasn't from me.

Gaulia - well, thanks for the picture...looks great. Kinda makes me wish I hadn't bothered dropping in to send out the last of the gaian gold.

Bye all, take care, have fun and above all, stay off danjel's radar. Saves a lot of problems in the long run.  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:21 am
illyrianth
Nebelstern
Let's just hope that something positive comes from this. I was under the impression that L0cke was a terribly harsh moderator. I think Illy told me that sometime or other...

I can assure you, L0cke is anything OTHER than harsh. He's fair, balanced and really a rather lovely guy...so I have no idea where you heard otherwise, but it certainly wasn't from me.

Gaulia - well, thanks for the picture...looks great. Kinda makes me wish I hadn't bothered dropping in to send out the last of the gaian gold.

Bye all, take care, have fun and above all, stay off danjel's radar. Saves a lot of problems in the long run.

My mistake. I must have confused him with someone else. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:21 am
illyrianth
...and above all, stay off danjel's radar.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8175007

He posted in my brother's thread, I subscribed to it to keep an eye open.

@FiF: His line I quoted came directly after he said that there would have to be stickies for other threads if there was made a British one. That's why the suggestion of a national unstickied thread in ED razz carries weight.

Invictus_88
Captain

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:39 am
Oh, the metaphorical undertones and deep irony that thread implies! I have subscribed too, just to keep posted on things. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:57 am
Nebelstern
Oh, the metaphorical undertones and deep irony that thread implies! I have subscribed too, just to keep posted on things. smile
xp interesting...  

Bono Vox

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:46 am
Invictus_88
Reply crafted and sent..

Reply to L0cke, 23:48
L0cke

He felt that it was more of a hangout thread and didnt have enough solid content for discussion so he moved it. Basically, I think in ED, threads like: "abortion. discuss." are not really welcomed since they are too generalized. Being more specific about your thread such as: "Abortion. At what point does a fetus have human rights? I think, blah, blah, blah for a few sentences or whatnot." and you have a decent thread with some discussion value for people.

While there is plenty to discuss if you just say "British politics" or "abortion" there are too many directions that subject can take and it doesnt lend itself well to overall discussion. I think that Danj's decision was based on that simple fact ^^

If you would like to discuss this case further please pm back and we'll continue :]

best wishes,

-L0cke

Thankyou for starting to look into the issue. Though if it is the case that the thread was actually not of an ED razz olitics standard then could my name be formally cleared of these apparent spam-warnings, as well as the threats by Danjel to take further action against my account.

The generic British thread was made by me at his own suggestion as well as with support of another moderator. I'm not sure I can be blamed entirely for following directly the advice given to me by moderators.

Danjel
Invictus_88

This applies specifically to Danjel though, as ED razz is his realm and so his suggested threads should not usually be later dropped to GD with a spam-warning for the thread-creator. I accepted that he would not re-sticky the original thread and followed his suggestion that I make a nation-specific thread in ED razz "just as everyone else does".

To offer advice, and then threaten "further action against" my account when I follow it amounts to what is at best an example of deep misunderstanding which needs immediate correction; and at worst, setting someone up for a fall.

If it was merely a mistake on the part of Danjel, then I should probably have the black marks against my name completely removed as well as having clarification as to whether the inconsistency is in his suggestion that I make a British thread, or in his taking action against me when I did so.

Is it yet safe for me to move gold and items back into this account, or is it still at risk from further action by Danjel?

Thankyou again,

Invictus

No response yet.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:50 am
Still no reply, and I know he was online yesterday.

I'll PM again if I hear nothing by tomorrow morning.

Invictus_88
Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:40 am
Quote:
This reply to your PM was (I believe) sent to you six days ago, though I am now beginning to doubt whether it actually sent properly.

If not, I appreciate that you are very busy. Though it would be good to have among other things, assurance that it is safe for me to move my gold and items back into my main account.

Thankyou for your time, I await your reply to my message below.

Regards,

Invictus

Quote:
L0cke

best wishes,

-L0cke

Danjel
Invictus_88

Thankyou again,

Invictus

Message sent to L0cke today at 11:38am.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:13 am
Having been away from the guild for a while, I've just the entire thread (and I think that deserves some recognition, as it's four pages long) to find out what's been going on.
It seems to me that it started out as a simple misunderstanding, and has now escalated into full scale war on the evil anti-British foul mannered unfair moderator.
Well, I have to admit that the whole thing is a tad silly, but hey, war can be fun, especially as it doesn't involve actual bloodshed...

...not yet.  

Ph_ish

Bono Vox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:06 pm
has he read the PM's?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:21 pm
Bono Vox
has he read the PM's?

As yet, there is no way of knowing.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Bono Vox

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:25 am
Invictus_88
Bono Vox
has he read the PM's?

As yet, there is no way of knowing.
yes there is. ones that havent been read are in your out box and ones that have been read are in your sent box  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games