Reply Extended Discussion
What does Goth Mean? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

darkest_hour91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:21 pm
goth would be like people who are dressed in black with some black make up but hey it's probley listening to all types of rock also but hmmmm maybe later i will get back to that.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:10 pm
dead can dance

Two very different things. And those who buy those cheap bondage s**t/pants and stuff at hot topic is going through some sort of fad in high school. Everyone I see here in AZ is a poser. It makes me angry. gonk

Well, I don't believe that the Tripp pants are insta-poser. I found that if combined with an untucked dress shirt (purple, by my preference) and boots, they can actually look pretty good.
However, if they are wearing Tripp pants, an MM band shirt, cheap-looking boots, and several plastic wristbands... then yes, they're certainly following a fad. And I know what you mean - I also live in Arizona, and know many who would just look at you funny if you said "Siouxsie and the Banshees"

*Ahem* anyway, in accordance to the thread, I believe that goth isn't just tied to music preference or fashion, but also that it means accepting or enjoying things that most people would think are weird; it also means having a slightly odd sense of humor (in terms of gallows humor, sarcasm, or the like; even a standard sense of humor can fit here) and having a creative mind.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

DR490N

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:17 pm
darkest_hour91
goth would be like people who are dressed in black with some black make up but hey it's probley listening to all types of rock also but hmmmm maybe later i will get back to that.

you fail.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:35 pm
DR490N
darkest_hour91

you fail.

now now, no need to be so harsh. he said he might get back to that.
who knows, maybe he'll mention leather pants and satanism.....THEN, he'll fail.  

lysseee

6,100 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:58 pm
lysseee
DR490N
darkest_hour91

you fail.

now now, no need to be so harsh. he said he might get back to that.
who knows, maybe he'll mention leather pants and satanism.....THEN, he'll fail.

The only real insta-fail is when someone brings up Satan worhip. Or Marilyn Manson-ism.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:48 pm
hey man, Manson is, like, totally awesome.  

cold.wire.lips

L3ts S3t Th3 Stag3 OnF1re

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:48 pm
Really, i dont really know what it means either. i sort of think its the ppl from Germany in the 12-18 century. but i also think its the dressing and stuff. but im sort of on the side of the dressing part.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:18 pm
This is somthing I wrote up a while ago, but...
Quote:
I don't want to put myself in a box, but there are certain behaviours, interests, and attitudes which I posess, and consider to be somewhat 'gothic', mind you many of these things can be categorized as other things as well, such as 'intellectual', 'artistic', or 'cultured'. However, here's my stance on the situation.

No one is purely a goth, just like no one is purely an artist. There are some aspects of the lifestyle which may have a strong hold on how you experience life, but it isn't the pure controlling factor of ones life. I am an artist. That makes me very aware of light, color, expression, texture, and whatnot. Art is important to me, but that dosn't mean that I am solely an artist, just like my affinity to the gothic subculture dosn't make me solely a goth.

As for 'what is goth'? I suppose it is all in the eye of the beholder.

To me it lies in many areas of life, and encompasses many tendancies I posessed far before I started dressing in black velvet and listening to Voltaire. To me goth is about intellectualism and the ability to percieve things in a way which many cannot. It means that you can find beauty in things which many people fear. It involves a certain level of introspection as well. I spend a lot of time alone in reflection. I feel that I know myself byfar better than how well most people know themselves. Goth, in my opinion, emphasiazes intellectualism and a love of the arts and literature.

I may do another write-up later, but it's 2.30am, I'm sleepy, and I can't think properly...  

DreamerSpirit

Sorinchako

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:03 am
I believe that there is no singular definition of Goth. Everyone in the Gothic sub-culture is somewhat similar, but is very different and is their own individual. For me, not everyone, Goth means being able to embrace the darkness inside me and be myself without caring what the 'normal people' think. Then I can be as free and creative as I wish.

I don't care if people stereotype me, that's not who I am. That's who they think I am, and that proves that they don't think much at all.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff