Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:39 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly
Hitler was also a very sadistic man. If he was truly a Christian and had allowed the Spirit to guide his interpretations of the Scriptures he would have understood that Jesus' frustration towards the money-changers and prostitutes and everyone that had gathered in the temple that had caused His outburst was towards them only, not towards Jews in general. And that Jesus' statement towards the Pharisees was towards the Pharisees only. When Jesus makes generalizations they're usually pretty easy to point out. These situations are clearly specific to the situaiton and people.

Not my problem. Adolf Hitler was still a very devout Christian. If it weren't for the Bible he wouldn't have misinterpreted it in the first place and the Holocaust may never have happened. That's all I'm trying to prove.

That may be so, but in his devotion he was twisted and gave a terrible representation of what Christianity is actually about. The Bible and those who compiled it did not intend for it to be so grossly misinterpreted and Hitler should not be taken as the poster child of Christianity. Yes, the Bible has led to misinterpretations and possibly even Hitler, but so has the Koran; if it weren't for that, 9/11 never would have happened.

That's debatable.

You're talking to a "conspiracy theorist".

It's also beside the point. I never said Islam was right.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly
Hitler was also a very sadistic man. If he was truly a Christian and had allowed the Spirit to guide his interpretations of the Scriptures he would have understood that Jesus' frustration towards the money-changers and prostitutes and everyone that had gathered in the temple that had caused His outburst was towards them only, not towards Jews in general. And that Jesus' statement towards the Pharisees was towards the Pharisees only. When Jesus makes generalizations they're usually pretty easy to point out. These situations are clearly specific to the situaiton and people.

Not my problem. Adolf Hitler was still a very devout Christian. If it weren't for the Bible he wouldn't have misinterpreted it in the first place and the Holocaust may never have happened. That's all I'm trying to prove.

That may be so, but in his devotion he was twisted and gave a terrible representation of what Christianity is actually about. The Bible and those who compiled it did not intend for it to be so grossly misinterpreted and Hitler should not be taken as the poster child of Christianity. Yes, the Bible has led to misinterpretations and possibly even Hitler, but so has the Koran; if it weren't for that, 9/11 never would have happened.

That's debatable.

You're right; the point is that Christianity and the Bible's teachings are not necessarily wrong.  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

That's debatable.

You're right; the point is that Christianity and the Bible's teachings are not necessarily wrong.

No, but bad things come from them that could be avoided with a lack of religion.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:49 pm
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

That's debatable.

No, but bad things come from them that could be avoided with a lack of religion.

You'll have religion even if there is no god at the center of it. Relgion is almost synonymous with cult. It's just a set of beliefs and doctrines that tie a group together. Kinda like government.  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:52 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

That's debatable.

You'll have religion even if there is no god at the center of it. Relgion is almost synonymous with cult. It's just a set of beliefs and doctrines that tie a group together. Kinda like government.

Yup. Point?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:33 pm
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

That's debatable.

Yup. Point?

I'm trying to figure out yours as well. I think on both ends it's a bit moot. Maybe a lack of religion would solve alot of problems, but it would also create some, just the same as anarchy might solve some things, but it might make things worse. It's also a matter of should vs. reality. Alot of things shouldn't happen or exist, but they do. Nothing anyone can do about it though, is there?  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:16 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

Yup. Point?

I'm trying to figure out yours as well. I think on both ends it's a bit moot. Maybe a lack of religion would solve alot of problems, but it would also create some, just the same as anarchy might solve some things, but it might make things worse. It's also a matter of should vs. reality. Alot of things shouldn't happen or exist, but they do. Nothing anyone can do about it though, is there?

What sort of problems would their be without religion?

And please, please don't tell me that there would be no moral codes or I will smack you with so many articles about developing atheist morals it'll make your head spin.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:22 pm
Oh, goodness, no. eek Please don't tell me after all we've been through you would actually expect that out of me. eek Just cuz I don't agree with your morals or values doesn't mean yours don't exist. I agree anyone who does think that should be hit upside the head.

As for the problems it would cause- I don't know if it's so much that problems would be cause so much as it's a situation where people are better off having faith in something. Scientific American Mind (a psychology magazine I read- yes, I'm a dorkfish, what of it) had an article on religion and faith and pretty much summarized that it's good for the brain, because it needs a way of organizing chaos, and meditation and prayer are good ways of relaxing. I guess that's really the only point there is to make on that though. Not sure what else to say.

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:25 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Oh, goodness, no. eek Please don't tell me after all we've been through you would actually expect that out of me. eek Just cuz I don't agree with your morals or values doesn't mean yours don't exist. I agree anyone who does think that should be hit upside the head.

As for the problems it would cause- I don't know if it's so much that problems would be cause so much as it's a situation where people are better off having faith in something. Scientific American Mind (a psychology magazine I read- yes, I'm a dorkfish, what of it) had an article on religion and faith and pretty much summarized that it's good for the brain, because it needs a way of organizing chaos, and meditation and prayer are good ways of relaxing. I guess that's really the only point there is to make on that though. Not sure what else to say.

You can still meditate as an atheist.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:41 pm
I'm not saying you can't. But even you as a weak atheist believes that there might be some kinda of deity out there, which is what the brain tries to do, because it's the easiest way for it to make sense of the universe.  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:03 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
I'm not saying you can't. But even you as a weak atheist believes that there might be some kinda of deity out there, which is what the brain tries to do, because it's the easiest way for it to make sense of the universe.

Not at all. I simply believe there could be a deity because I accept the fact that logic (However improbably) could be wrong. I don't "feel" anything, though.

I believe science is the easiest and most orderly way to make sense of the universe. After all, that's its purpose.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:04 pm
You don't do anything, but your brain does. Your brain does lots of things you aren't aware of, which is probably good, because if we were aware of every function of the brain we'd probably be in alot of pain and discomfort. confused  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:50 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
You don't do anything, but your brain does. Your brain does lots of things you aren't aware of, which is probably good, because if we were aware of every function of the brain we'd probably be in alot of pain and discomfort. confused

Point?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:52 pm
So my point is that religion is actually good for you, or at least faith or belief in something is, because it creates positive energy. Even if everything I believe in turns out to be wrong, at least my brain was happy (I'm not saying yours isn't, because as far as I understand you do believe in something). And a happy brain leads to a happy person. smile  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:41 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
So my point is that religion is actually good for you, or at least faith or belief in something is, because it creates positive energy. Even if everything I believe in turns out to be wrong, at least my brain was happy (I'm not saying yours isn't, because as far as I understand you do believe in something). And a happy brain leads to a happy person. smile

Actually, studies show that a hopeful attitude doesn't help in the recovery of illnesses at all.  
Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff