Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Human Sacrifice Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:54 am
Gideon Starorzewski
Perhaps I should clarify the joke, since no one seemed to get it at all. My point is that the film adaptation of Silent Hill has several plot elements in common with The Wicker Man, namely someone being lured to an isolated town to find a missing girl at the center of a conspiracy involving a cult that utilizes human sacrifice and ending with the individual being lured there being used as the ultimate sacrifice. Funny that.
I'm not inclined to agree actually.

But then, I am taking in the extended context of the games as well.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:10 am
Reaction to remake = shrug

I remember seeing the film many, many years ago (ie, I remember very, very little of it) so don't really have any comments. In general, though I tend to frown upon remakes, moreso if they're done in the same media as the original. Don't quite get the point I guess. It could be fun to play around with the same idea in another media format (like a graphic novel) but why do what's already been done? They must think it'll sell in the box office, eh?  

Starlock

Pelta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:22 am
Starlock
They must think it'll sell in the box office, eh?
Which it seem is one of the only reasons Hollywood produces films these days... stare  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:42 am
TeaDidikai

You don't even need to bring in the games - the parallel between Silent Hill and The Wicker Man is "freaky cult burns someone alive". The reasonings for the burning in TWM is different than that of the two burnings in SH...

And claiming that Rose became a sacrifice is kind of iffy as well - then again, I'm just hating that they took the god of the Silent Hill cult out of the movie plot...and added in the "searching husband" angle.  

Henry Dorsett Case

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:50 am
Henry Dorsett Case
TeaDidikai

You don't even need to bring in the games - the parallel between Silent Hill and The Wicker Man is "freaky cult burns someone alive". The reasonings for the burning in TWM is different than that of the two burnings in SH...

And claiming that Rose became a sacrifice is kind of iffy as well - then again, I'm just hating that they took the god of the Silent Hill cult out of the movie plot...and added in the "searching husband" angle.
True enough.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:51 am
Religious fanaticism and purging community =/= Sacrifice to the Gods.  

TeaDidikai

Henry Dorsett Case

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:07 am
TeaDidikai
Religious fanaticism and purging community =/= Sacrifice to the Gods.
Strange thought. If one were to misconstrue the first burning in SH, one could claim that it might have been used as a sacrifice, since they were burning the result of sin rather than the sinner.

And WTF was up with making Dahlia Gillespie into some sort of tragic martyr figure?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:17 am
missmagpie
Starlock
They must think it'll sell in the box office, eh?
Which it seem is one of the only reasons Hollywood produces films these days... stare

Seems so. But then, they do have a right to make a living. The independents often put out more original stuff, but one generally has to live in a larger city to get to see those films. A couple great environmental films have come out this year: "An Inconvinent Truth" and "Who Killed the Electric Car?"  

Starlock

Gideon Starorzewski

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:35 am
Henry Dorsett Case

Precisely.

Quote:

Rose wasn't a sacrifice for the cult of course, she sacrificed herself for the demon. It somewhat depends on if you think Rose became objectively dead when the car crashed or when she was stabbed in the Church.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:44 am
Gideon Starorzewski
Rose wasn't a sacrifice for the cult of course, she sacrificed herself for the demon. It somewhat depends on if you think Rose became objectively dead when the car crashed or when she was stabbed in the Church.
Sorry, had to change back to white because the yellow was threatening to etch itself in the back of my skull after it burned through my retinas.

I don't agree that Rose is dead at all, much like Harry wasn't dead (unless you got the bad ending). The problem is that, unlike in SH1 where Harry redeems Alessa by separating her from the god, Rose has allowed Alessa to claim unbridled vengeance and is thus stuck in Otherworld until she puts Alessa to rest. I wonder, if they make a sequel, if they'll involve Valtiel...  

Henry Dorsett Case

Gideon Starorzewski

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:47 am
Henry Dorsett Case
Gideon Starorzewski
Sorry, had to change back to white because the yellow was threatening to etch itself in the back of my skull after it burned through my retinas.

I don't agree that Rose is dead at all, much like Harry wasn't dead (unless you got the bad ending). The problem is that, unlike in SH1 where Harry redeems Alessa by separating her from the god, Rose has allowed Alessa to claim unbridled vengeance and is thus stuck in Otherworld until she puts Alessa to rest. I wonder, if they make a sequel, if they'll involve Valtiel...

I should clarify that having not played the games, I'm interpreting the movie on it's own and not part of the mythos it's derived from. Which I personally think is the best way to go about interpreting any adaptation.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:54 pm
Gideon Starorzewski

I should clarify that having not played the games, I'm interpreting the movie on it's own and not part of the mythos it's derived from. Which I personally think is the best way to go about interpreting any adaptation.
And while I usually would agree- due to the nature of Silent Hill, I don't think it is an accurate way to go about things.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:11 pm
Saw it. It was worth seeing in the theater alone. Wouldn't have wanted to pay for more than myself.

AND IT TAKES PLACE ON THE ISLAND I LIVED ON! (Well, at least they filmed some parts there...)  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:32 am
rofl Tea's a little sister!!! rofl

Um, burning this is good. Yeah. And I onlygo to horror movies if 1) I intend to look away a lot or 2) I have people to warn me of the gross bits or 3) I have osmeone to hide behind.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:01 am
Deoridhe
rofl Tea's a little sister!!! rofl
Wouldn't I have to be pagan for that?

Quote:
Um, burning this is good. Yeah. And I onlygo to horror movies if 1) I intend to look away a lot or 2) I have people to warn me of the gross bits or 3) I have osmeone to hide behind.
You know, The Nightmare Before Christmas is coming out in 3D here in Oly the week you folks are going to be here...  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff