Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
An Slí Gaeleach Céad 's a hAon (Phase one done, please pos Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:10 am
I gave this a spin and ended up with this:

User Image

Assuming I didn't translate between horizontal and circular incorrectly, this should be Nuin (Ash), Coll (Hazel), Quert (Apple), and Eadha (Poplar). The attempt was for clear sight and quick but appropriate decision making in the material realm.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:17 pm
phoenix shadowwolf
is it then, almost like they are part of the same family, but "cousins"?

i'm fine with the same name for a people and a place. it seems to be fairly common, and some sense in made. i just get a little confused when most of the sources (what little i have) seem to imply that the current faeries are actually the Tuatha De Dannan.
For them to be a "subset" there would have to be other "subsets" in the overarching term for them not merely be the overarching term.  

TeaDidikai

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:37 pm
reagun ban
Stop.

Put the pen down.

You do NOT want to know what your name would look like in that script.

Ogham is not a font. It is not a toy. It is a magical language. Bind your name in it and you're ******** class="clear">
I picked up a book on codes when I was a kid and I remember that one of the codes looked suspiciously like Ogham and while I don't actually remember its presence I'm fairly sure there was a little blurb about druids.

So I guess I have some questions about the "bind your name in it and you're ********" property.

I'm gathering by your statement that the power of the script is contained more in its own character than in the intention with which it is used--is that so? And if so, does intention not matter a whit or does intention augment when it's used on purpose but not save your a** if you use it cluelessly?

Or does it come under the "contract with the gods of my people" thing--in which case, are there negative consequences for ill-use and you just get ignored if you're seriously using it but you're not a Celt?

I don't think I'm wording this very well. Am I making sense?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:54 am
TheDisreputableDog
So I guess I have some questions about the "bind your name in it and you're ********" property.

I'm gathering by your statement that the power of the script is contained more in its own character than in the intention with which it is used--is that so? And if so, does intention not matter a whit or does intention augment when it's used on purpose but not save your a** if you use it cluelessly?

Or does it come under the "contract with the gods of my people" thing--in which case, are there negative consequences for ill-use and you just get ignored if you're seriously using it but you're not a Celt?

I don't think I'm wording this very well. Am I making sense?

Without stepping on Reagun's toes- the first thing I will note is that as a mystic script, the idea that the symbols for phonetic values already have meaning is important.

I also think Reagun tends to err on the side of assuming that people don't know how to undo things that they do.

If I bound myself to script- and I knew how to unbind it, it would be one thing.

Also, if I recall correctly, every letter of Ogham is accountable to the god from whom the script gains it's name. Not sure I would recommend putting something in script that I wasn't able to justify to the deity in question.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:50 pm
Can you tell me your opinion of the other "scales" of Ogham found within the Book of Ballymote?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:22 pm
Tea, that was a fantastic response. It pretty much highlights why there's a problem, in the phonetic values ascribed to Ogham can spell out your name, you can bind your name in it. This is ok if you know how to unbind something, but if you don't you're leaving Parts of Yourself lying around that anyThing that happens to be wandering by can take.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:14 am
Cuchullain
Tea, that was a fantastic response. It pretty much highlights why there's a problem, in the phonetic values ascribed to Ogham can spell out your name, you can bind your name in it. This is ok if you know how to unbind something, but if you don't you're leaving Parts of Yourself lying around that anyThing that happens to be wandering by can take.

Runes avoid that because the presumption is they have to be blooded to "activate" them.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:17 pm
Cuchullain
Tea, that was a fantastic response.

Thanks. I try.

Deoridhe

Runes avoid that because the presumption is they have to be blooded to "activate" them.
Interesting... without side tracking Reagun's thread- I thought intonation worked as well, and as a result, there could be a problem with scribing runes- especially if the letters themselves were put on a stave together.  

TeaDidikai

TatteredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:00 pm
Cuchullain
I figured I'd hop in on this, I'm not sure if this is a silly question or not, but I've been wondering ever since I read the name-binding part. If the phonetics are what is important, if a name matches meaning but not phonetics, is that at all relevant?

Specifically, and the reason I'm curious, my name is Rowan, and I have received things (from adamantly nonmagical folks, mind you) inscribed with the Ogham that means the rowan tree, but I know that the phonetics do not match at all. Given that, does that mean that it amounts to nothing, or is something still going on with the script?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:34 pm
TatteredAngel
Cuchullain
I figured I'd hop in on this, I'm not sure if this is a silly question or not, but I've been wondering ever since I read the name-binding part. If the phonetics are what is important, if a name matches meaning but not phonetics, is that at all relevant?

Specifically, and the reason I'm curious, my name is Rowan, and I have received things (from adamantly nonmagical folks, mind you) inscribed with the Ogham that means the rowan tree, but I know that the phonetics do not match at all. Given that, does that mean that it amounts to nothing, or is something still going on with the script?
To me- that would depend on two things. 1) If you are named after the tree, rather than the name itself. 2) If you have come to use it as a sigil yourself.  

TeaDidikai

TatteredAngel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:34 pm
TeaDidikai
To me- that would depend on two things. 1) If you are named after the tree, rather than the name itself. 2) If you have come to use it as a sigil yourself.
On the first, the answer is sort of. My parents realized how much they liked the the name due to its use in The Wicker Man, but both were perfectly aware of the tree as well. I think the tree was an influence, how much of one I can't say for sure. On the second, no. I don't generally futz with things in that sense that I know next to nothing about.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:36 am
TatteredAngel
I figured I'd hop in on this, I'm not sure if this is a silly question or not, but I've been wondering ever since I read the name-binding part.

No, it's not a silly question.
It's quite a good question.

TatteredAngel
If the phonetics are what is important, if a name matches meaning but not phonetics, is that at all relevant?

As it happens, the phonetics of most bound Ogham don't make sense.

While Ogham was used in a phonetic context by the Druids. I'm not going to take responsibility for people doing it, hence the warning. The Druids were a lot smarter than I am. That, and they used it to specifically bind people to the land. I mean, when you're gonna go to the effort of carving something into rock that's going to last the ages, it had better be for a damn good reason.

TatteredAngel

They'd be considered piseoigí, or little spells, if they're done by nonmagical folks. The wellwishing in the gift would be the intention and their chosing something with your name in a language of binding would make it so.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:45 am
TeaDidikai

Interesting side tangent, that.
The Gaels wouldn't see a difference.
If you are named for someone who was named for someone who was named for someone, the line goes back to the Tree.
Your name is the Tree.
The tree is your name.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:32 pm
Cuchullain
TeaDidikai

Interesting side tangent, that.
The Gaels wouldn't see a difference.
If you are named for someone who was named for someone who was named for someone, the line goes back to the Tree.
Your name is the Tree.
The tree is your name.
The reason I would question that is that someone named "Gift", could be named after a present or poison. Follow?  

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:59 am
TeaDidikai
The reason I would question that is that someone named "Gift", could be named after a present or poison. Follow?

Indeed. And as a Gaelic mystic/priest/what-have-you, I would tend to say that this will have impact on their life regardless of whether or not they know their name's entymological origins because of the resonance between a name and the thing it represents.

I intend to give my children intentionally ambiguous soul names for this very reason, but then I'm a b*****d. I even have one picked out especially for if I have a son and I'm working on one for if I have a daughter.

Within the context of a Gaelic m/p/w, as opposed to a person, I'd have to call a sloppy choice on the first person to choose that name, unless of course the ambiguity didn't exist then in which case, the person in question has a problem wink  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff