Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
~SNEEZES~.... Bless you... ~GROWL~ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:58 am
Elfin Brill
In my country we never say anything of the "Bless you!" variant. "Gezondheid!" is said, much like our German neighbours.

Maybe you all could start a trend of saying "Good health to you! " everytime someone sneezes. It could even be shortened to "Good health!".

Gezontid in Flemish, if my better half's spelling is to be trusted (which it generally isn't).
As a person who is not a speaker of either language, I was amazed by how similar they sound. Didn't realise that speakers of the two can actually converse.

(Can we please not get into the which is a dialect of which as the better half is convinced that Dutch is a dialect of Flemish)  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:53 am
i dont bless people normaly unless im feeling cheerful and wanting to spread good luck and health which isnt often im a very moody person and i dont like many people i know. and the phrase Blessed Be gets on my nervs i had a friend who would hop around from one beliefe system to another depending on her boyfriend and she started using Blessed Be every time we would talk and i was going to leave its well intended by most people but if you dont know why you use it other then its a commen frase used on webpages you read on the internet just dont use it. When someone sneees and i say bless you its from habbit but its generaly not in the thought of a blessing from a god its my personal blessing of good health.  

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:48 am
Around one of my circles, sneezes are joke time. We usually hope for three - the first is "Bless you," the second is "Gezuntheit" and the third is "You sneezed." I'm a two sneezer, but we have a few reliable threes. I was sad one day when I three sneezed and there was no one around. emo

As I use it, and as I believe my friends us it, it's the generic 'thing you say" more than the actual meaning. I'm the most religious of the lot of us, fwiw.

As for why "bless you" was used, it was believe the soul exited the body when you sneeze, to return a moment later. Blessing the person kept their body safe from a demonic infestation. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:00 am
Deoridhe

As for why "bless you" was used, it was believe the soul exited the body when you sneeze, to return a moment later. Blessing the person kept their body safe from a demonic infestation. 3nodding
I've heard that. Never seen a reliable source on it. Got one?

Also note I tend to say "Take Care", no idea what I picked it up.

There is also that old diddy "Once a wish, twice a kiss, three times a letter- four something better!"  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:06 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

I've heard that. Never seen a reliable source on it. Got one?

Also note I tend to say "Take Care", no idea what I picked it up.

There is also that old diddy "Once a wish, twice a kiss, three times a letter- four something better!"

Nope! Ye generic "old wives tale". Gods... I wish I got kisses for every time I double sneezed. crying  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:11 am
Deoridhe

Nope! Ye generic "old wives tale". Gods... I wish I got kisses for every time I double sneezed. crying
~snickers~ Me too.  

TeaDidikai

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:09 am
reagun ban

Gezontid in Flemish, if my better half's spelling is to be trusted (which it generally isn't).
As a person who is not a speaker of either language, I was amazed by how similar they sound. Didn't realise that speakers of the two can actually converse.

Belgium is a funny country. There is a Dutch speaking part (Vlaanderen) and a French speaking part. (Walloniƫ)
Flemish is almost simulair to Dutch except that they have this soft G. and do tend to say "Amai!" a lot. (allthough they probably have dialects like our country too, and those might not be easy to be understand by the avarage Dutch person.)
The language is actually so much simulair that we have a cooparation with the Dutch and the Belguim national TV regarding a languagegame called "Tien voor Taal"("Ten for Language"). The Flemish win a lot more then the Dutch people. redface

In the Netherland we do have this saying that goes with triple sneezing. Don't know if that is the same with other countries.
If you sneeze three times people will say: "Ah, tomorrow will be good weather! biggrin "
Something to do with pollenallergies.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces