Welcome to Gaia! ::

Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Back to Guilds

Reply Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People
Why do asian parents have their children take piano?? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you play piano?
  Yes.
  No.
View Results

miname_sohma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:23 pm
Good question. Pretty much all of my asian friends either took piano or violin ... and some of them quit once they were old enough to rebel against it xp

I've been playing since I was just barely 6. My mom was the one who totally forced me to take those stupid classes... 9 years later... AND I STILL TAKE THOSE CLASSES. *bangs head against computer class*... well at least I'm good at it now I suppose... But at least I started the violin and the guitar volentarily, so I have more motivation for those instruments, and I play them more than the piano nowadays.

And my mom ALWAYS has to ask me, "So did you practice piano?"
Me: Um... I practiced the violin?
Mom: You have to practice the piano!
Me: But I need to get better at the violin too.
Mom: The piano is more important.

And so on and so forth.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:16 pm
my parents never made me take piano..it was suggested buh i decided not to  

sexii_boo

Raina Hitaru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:57 pm
I know my mom wanted me to play piano when I was younger but I went with Violin instead.. Yet she always has to say something about I would have made a better piano player.. ::rolls eyes:: Wasn't she happy enough that my brother played Piano? No I guess she thought two Piano players are better then one..  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:35 am
miname_sohma
Good question. Pretty much all of my asian friends either took piano or violin ... and some of them quit once they were old enough to rebel against it xp

I've been playing since I was just barely 6. My mom was the one who totally forced me to take those stupid classes... 9 years later... AND I STILL TAKE THOSE CLASSES. *bangs head against computer class*... well at least I'm good at it now I suppose... But at least I started the violin and the guitar volentarily, so I have more motivation for those instruments, and I play them more than the piano nowadays.

And my mom ALWAYS has to ask me, "So did you practice piano?"
Me: Um... I practiced the violin?
Mom: You have to practice the piano!
Me: But I need to get better at the violin too.
Mom: The piano is more important.

And so on and so forth.

I aggee with you..I started when I was 5 almost 6 like in a month and then I finnaly quit after 7 long years but my mom got all angry but she still makes me play.When I was younger all my recitals were only asians or chinese...i think it was because my teacher was chinese but still..now that i take violin to my mom still wants me to practice alot of piano and less violin  

lollerskater123321

P o o

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:38 am

.____. my parents made me play like...4-6instruments,
but I quit when I got 16, because I just don't...like it that much...
and also no piano xD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:43 am
I gave up piano (and violin, another asian loved instrument) when I was 11. Felt bad doing it though. Fully regret it now.  

DesireCanKill

Jelai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:06 pm
My parents never forced me. I actually wanted to play piano.
I heart piano and it's the only instrument I want to play. <3

I started to play piano when I was 12. I wanted to start at 7, but we couldn't find a teacher at that time.

I haven't had any recitals yet, and I just recently continued my lessons because we moved from Japan to U.S., so yeah.

There's this one Chinese girl in my class that I'm jealous of. She's a better piano player than I am! uggh! She's in Advanced Piano and already had her recitals, and she gets straight-A's! stressed
She kinda seems like the stereotypical Asian girl, though. :/

I think the reason why Asian parents want their kids to play piano or violin is because they make beautiful sound and are prettier and better looking than other instruments. :/ I don't know, but that's what I think.
And I guess, also because there a ton of piano scores out there that you can play for hours on end on the piano. *shrug*

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:41 pm
My mom makes me practice piano every day of the week for 1 hour a day. Even when my friends are over.

[.Dancing.Melon.]

-kiristal_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:55 pm
Yeah, I play piano.
I've been playing for nine years.
And I'm not even taking the exams [you know..the thing where I get graded on my playing..]
And I'm Grade 4 Royal Conservatory, and I still suck.
When my teacher asked me if i was coming back this September
I said I had to ask my parents.
So yeahh..my parents said that it was up to me and that they'd "support" my decision.
The minute I told them that I didn't wanna play anymore,
my dad got all pissed off and made me go back.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:28 pm
I only play piano because I play violin. You need it to get your certificates for ARCT Performer or Teacher in every other instrument I think. So that's why I play piano. I like it though, so it's no problem. I've an exam on Thursday though stressed  

sasquatchpolice

Lay-San

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:43 pm
Hitman1
i dont play piano and im chinese

ditto  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:01 pm
I don't play the piano, i don't got any problems with it i wouldn't complain if i played the piano  

Fuzaki

Mikanne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:19 pm
Lots of Filipino parents like their children to play piano too o_o--almost all my cousins and other relatives play the piano sweatdrop . Of course, I play the piano.

I started sometime during elementary school[say, 4th-5th grade?]due to my mom noticing that all her friends' children play piano and I didn't like it--it stressed me out and my teacher was mean [ crying ]. Really, D: he made me cry! @_@;;
I was not motivated to practice at all...=__=;; I'd throw little fits whenever my parents told me to practice.

And so, because of that, I quit lessons at the end of my 5th grade year. However, mom didn't like it so she found me a new [and far more nicer] piano teacher a few months later biggrin . Indeed, she was way better and very calm and gentle. x3 She's stll my teacher today, actually! biggrin

Unfortunately,I'm not as good as I should be for my age .___.--I did not like piano till about three years ago [I'm 17--gonna be 18 btw] and I didn't practice much before all that. I feel like I just got kicked in the head or something everytime I hear that I should be playing high level music by now or hear/see pianists far more younger than me playing something like Fantasie Impromtu [Chopin]. gonk

Nowadays, I freakin' love piano--I'm even planning to continue lessons even when I'm in college whee ! Ahaha, I don't even have to wait till my parents tell me to practice XDDD. I want to try to make up for what I couldn't do years ago >< and hopefully, be able to be pro at it. sweatdrop

I'm currently focusing on two songs: Fantasie in D. minor [Mozart] and River Flows in You by Yiruma x3;;

[/end of lame storytelling D:]

And emmm yea...@_@ to keep this more on topic: at the place where I take lessons, almost every piano student is Asian xd !  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:44 am
My mom made me play piano, but then after a while I liked it. I started in 3rd grade. :] I`m now in 6th~ I know alot of asian people who play piano~  

[ iNY0UNG ]

Ouiaboo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:40 pm
I played the piano since I was five or six and the violin since I was nine. I take instruments because I wanted to, and it kind of runs in the family because my mother's uncle was a famous musician in New York.

I'd like to play some Asian instruments if I ever got the chance too… I'd love to play the Japanese shamisen.  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff