Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Who would/will you vote for? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zoutout

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:59 am
Damn that film - i'm still boycotting it after, how many years?

Is it possible for us to convince the authorities that Tony Blair is Scottish, thne take him to York? If so, it'd be legal to shoot him with a longbow.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:56 pm
Invictus_88
Hm, still traditional links.

Tories/Conservatives = Landowners, middle to upper class, slightly to very xenophobic, spit on the lower classes, a bit up themselves.

Whigs/Old Labour = hardworking, proletariat, the downtrodden masses, rebellious sons of Tory lords.

Just working from stereotypes, here...  

Ph_ish

Ph_ish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:02 pm
Zoutout
Damn that film - i'm still boycotting it after, how many years?

Is it possible for us to convince the authorities that Tony Blair is Scottish, thne take him to York? If so, it'd be legal to shoot him with a longbow.

I think it has to be after midnight or something... and within the city walls.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:22 pm
whapcapn
Lizbeth_r9
I'm still undecided as to wether to do a vote of no-confidence or vote lib-dem.

I don't trust a party who's leader would lie to his own party members aswell as the population as a whole, and frankly the thought of the conservatives taking control of the economy terrorfies me. Ideally I would like a complete overhaul of the entire system, providing us with far more options (we call our selves a democracy, when we make one decision from two choices once every four years!).

____

We currently have higher emigration from this country than immigration. The population is ageing, and choosing to have children at an older age, and its the young ones who are running off to sunnier climates. So we need more immigration, before we end up with the kind of crisis that we had in th1960's.

I don't believe Tony Blair lied to the nation. I think he acted in good faith; only as it happens he was wholly misguided. I'm not doubtful of his integrity, just of his judgement.

so our leader isn't a liar just gullible?

lol... I really don't know which is worse eek  

Lizbeth_r9

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:24 pm
Lizbeth_r9
whapcapn
Lizbeth_r9
I'm still undecided as to wether to do a vote of no-confidence or vote lib-dem.

I don't trust a party who's leader would lie to his own party members aswell as the population as a whole, and frankly the thought of the conservatives taking control of the economy terrorfies me. Ideally I would like a complete overhaul of the entire system, providing us with far more options (we call our selves a democracy, when we make one decision from two choices once every four years!).

____

We currently have higher emigration from this country than immigration. The population is ageing, and choosing to have children at an older age, and its the young ones who are running off to sunnier climates. So we need more immigration, before we end up with the kind of crisis that we had in th1960's.

I don't believe Tony Blair lied to the nation. I think he acted in good faith; only as it happens he was wholly misguided. I'm not doubtful of his integrity, just of his judgement.

so our leader isn't a liar just gullible?

lol... I really don't know which is worse eek

I'm not saying it's any better, just that it's the case.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:02 am
whapcapn

I very much doubt he was acting in good faith at all. I may not like the man, but I will grant that he is incredibly intelligent. There is no way on the gods' green earth he was misled. He knew all along, no question in my mind on that matter.

Fact is, that when the people of this country go on the biggest demonstrations the UK has ever seen; when some are even willing to cause a scene in the House of Commons itself - the politicians should pay attention. Instead, Tony laughed it off - laughed off the concerns of the people, laughed off the grief of families who have lost loved ones to the illegal war his friend Bush wanted.

If John Smith had lived, I honestly think the Labour Party could have been a worthwhile party. But with Tony Blair in charge, I have nothing but contempt.

The only tiny ray of light came from unexpected sources. I say bravo to Robin Cook and Claire Short. Pity the rest of their colleagues still seem to need to develop spines of their own.  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:06 am
illyrianth
whapcapn

I very much doubt he was acting in good faith at all. I may not like the man, but I will grant that he is incredibly intelligent. There is no way on the gods' green earth he was misled. He knew all along, no question in my mind on that matter.

Fact is, that when the people of this country go on the biggest demonstrations the UK has ever seen; when some are even willing to cause a scene in the House of Commons itself - the politicians should pay attention. Instead, Tony laughed it off - laughed off the concerns of the people, laughed off the grief of families who have lost loved ones to the illegal war his friend Bush wanted.

If John Smith had lived, I honestly think the Labour Party could have been a worthwhile party. But with Tony Blair in charge, I have nothing but contempt.

The only tiny ray of light came from unexpected sources. I say bravo to Robin Cook and Claire Short. Pity the rest of their colleagues still seem to need to develop spines of their own.

Well, what motive would he have for going to war other than thinking it was the right thing to do? As I see it, he knew perfectly well that his popularity would plummet if he went ahead with the war - he knew he couldn't gain anything politically out of the war. He simply did what he thought would be the right course of action, irrespective of public opinion. I actually think that is a very brave thing to do, and I admire him in a way for that. However, it still stands that he was wrong.

P.S. Many intelligent people were misled and supported the war, you know.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:10 am
whapcapn

But most people were not - and have still not been - given the full story about how this whole mess came to be. I honestly believe that Blair was in receipt of all the facts and went ahead solely to benefit Bush. He may not gain politically as such, but what does that matter when one stands to gain financially?

It's no surprise that Iraq had chosen to start selling their oil in Euros instead of dollars and THEN they got invaded. Funnily enough, as soon as oil sales started up again, it had gone straight back to be traded in dollars. Coincidence? I think not.  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Lizbeth_r9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:44 am
whapcapn

Well, what motive would he have for going to war other than thinking it was the right thing to do? As I see it, he knew perfectly well that his popularity would plummet if he went ahead with the war - he knew he couldn't gain anything politically out of the war. He simply did what he thought would be the right course of action, irrespective of public opinion. I actually think that is a very brave thing to do, and I admire him in a way for that. However, it still stands that he was wrong.

pressure from America. Politically and economically we are heading towards a time where either America, Europe, or Asia (Japan n China) are going to tak dominance. This was Tony Blair taking his side.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:43 am
Damn it all, make our own side. Reunite the Commonwealth, form up the armies and form the sort of economic links that strasngle everyone except those inside the unit.  

Invictus_88
Captain

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:52 am
Invictus_88
Damn it all, make our own side. Reunite the Commonwealth, form up the armies and form the sort of economic links that strasngle everyone except those inside the unit.

Not, we help the workers in order to form a strong bond with China, then we invade America with their help  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:57 am
Sounds good to me.  

Wiggster

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:23 am
Lizbeth_r9
whapcapn

pressure from America. Politically and economically we are heading towards a time where either America, Europe, or Asia (Japan n China) are going to tak dominance. This was Tony Blair taking his side.

That's really purely economic. He's just getting himself in the pocket of a president who will be gone in two years time.
It's not a good move to leap to America's side, either; Europe is the way ahead.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:49 pm
whapcapn
That's really purely economic. He's just getting himself in the pocket of a president who will be gone in two years time.
It's not a good move to leap to America's side, either; Europe is the way ahead.

No, trust me. It's commonwealth. Commonwealth and empire.

wink heart

Invictus_88
Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:27 am
illyrianth
But most people were not - and have still not been - given the full story about how this whole mess came to be. I honestly believe that Blair was in receipt of all the facts and went ahead solely to benefit Bush. He may not gain politically as such, but what does that matter when one stands to gain financially?

It's no surprise that Iraq had chosen to start selling their oil in Euros instead of dollars and THEN they got invaded. Funnily enough, as soon as oil sales started up again, it had gone straight back to be traded in dollars. Coincidence? I think not.

Illy > Hanlon's Razor.

biggrin

The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games