Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Vegetarian Health Facts! Please read! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think that eating vegetarian makes you unhealthy?
  Yes!
  Yes, until I read this topic.
  No!
  I don't know.
View Results

Lady Schist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:24 pm
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm

According to this, soy beans, spinach, quinoa, collard greens, and lentils are GREAT sources of Iron.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:39 pm
http://www.drgreger.org/talks/#nutrition

Listen to the first set of talks "Optimum Vegetarian Nutrition"  

This Old Oscillator

Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:47 pm
Metaphorical Nonsense
La Violetta
Wow.
I have GOT to show this to my dad.
Thank you.
*applauds for 50 hours straight*

Ditto!

Me too! I just wish there'd be some way for them to actually read it without thinking it's a load of bull sad  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:11 pm
The quote in the original post mentions a "vegan six" and lists the first four. I assume fruit makes a fifth, but what would be their sixth? I looked on the cited website and didn't find it.  

Manzanita_of_Ecotopia

commander carrotsticks

Bashful Bunny

4,250 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:18 am

Also if you want a very good source... read "Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating" by Marcus something who is the person who runs the website www.vegan.com I was very very happy I read the book because sometimes I forget exactly why I am vegetarian other than ethical reasons. I am now more prepared to answer peoples questions and the book wasn't boring at all.

i read that book as well! it was definitely a great choice! n___n  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:14 pm
its also known tht its healthier for ur heart and ur less likely to get blood clots when ur a vegetarian since u eat less meat, and in turn; less fat from meat. biggrin  

reptileluver101

MalevolentChocolate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:06 pm
Most people I know aren't vegetarians only because they think the diet is unhealthy. If they knew what you posted, they would definitely make the change biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:57 pm
I do try and stay healthy being a vegan even though it is very hard.
Did you know that a good percent of vegans become anemic? I actually almost died from anemia because I had so little blood in my body. My blood literally just flushed out of my body every time I had my period because I had so little iron in my blood. I ended up in the hospital because I was dying. sad Luckily, they provided me with iron supplements and a lot of protein shakes...even though they weren't vegan. sweatdrop (I went back to being a vegan after this issue and made sure I got pleanty of protein and iron.
*Fact: Soy products are iron inhibitors. This means that soy takes away the iron in your body. (A simple way to put it.)
Make sure that you are taking pleanty of iron pills if you are eating a lot of soy products. Sometimes vegans and vegetarians are so focused on getting their protein, they forget about their iron! 3nodding
Peace and Love,
Sazzie heart  

Sazzie Lotus Song

Lady Callie G

8,900 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:03 pm
Those are great pieces of information, but if you want to change a meat eaters mind you really need unbiased supporting statements. Try gathering quotes from other sources that support neither vegetarianism or being a meat eater. You will find a lot of interesting stuff!

Bottom line, there is nothing in meat you can't find elsewhere. We are so lucky to have many different culinary resources available to us. As advanced human beings we no longer NEED meat.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:04 pm
Sazzie Lotus Song
I do try and stay healthy being a vegan even though it is very hard.
Did you know that a good percent of vegans become anemic? I actually almost died from anemia because I had so little blood in my body. My blood literally just flushed out of my body every time I had my period because I had so little iron in my blood. I ended up in the hospital because I was dying. sad Luckily, they provided me with iron supplements and a lot of protein shakes...even though they weren't vegan. sweatdrop (I went back to being a vegan after this issue and made sure I got pleanty of protein and iron.
*Fact: Soy products are iron inhibitors. This means that soy takes away the iron in your body. (A simple way to put it.)
Make sure that you are taking pleanty of iron pills if you are eating a lot of soy products. Sometimes vegans and vegetarians are so focused on getting their protein, they forget about their iron! 3nodding
Peace and Love,
Sazzie heart

That's so dangerous! D: It's so important to take vegan friendly iron pills and ensure that you get plenty of nutrients. Not everyone can eat 10 cups of spinach.  

Lady Callie G

8,900 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

lilblitzer99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:48 pm
For some reason there seems to be more girl vegetarians. Is it health for guys?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:30 am
lilblitzer99
For some reason there seems to be more girl vegetarians. Is it health for guys?

Yes, vegan/vegetarian diets are healthy for guys too. In fact, they're even better for guys than they are for girls in some ways. Meat and dairy are often loaded with saturated fat and cholesterol. Those are the things that lead to heart disease. Heart disease is the number one killer in America right now, and it hits men harder than it hits women. So men would be especially wise to at least cut down on the meats and dairy. But I think you see more veg girls because girls, on average, are more interested in things like animal welfare.  

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

Xx0Happy0xX

Badgeless Informer

9,275 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:01 pm
Informative Great Job On The Information It Can Be Helpfull When Needed

As Long As You Get Proten und Nutrians Its Fine Contunuing This Path Am I Correct?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:32 am
I'd like to add to this that there are lots of vegans that complain of fatigue. by eating rice and tofu, this can often be stopped because rice ad tofu are very nutritious and filling.  

nautilus96

2,100 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Junior Trader 100

jacketcat

Friendly Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:43 am
I really love this post >.< It kind of got me riled up, because yesterday night my friend was over, and I was ranting about vegan stuff (because my vegetarian friend is out of town, and I had no one to rant to), and she said something about it being unhealthy to be vegan or vegetarian as a child. I was totally shocked. I tried to to her, "Uhhh... No, that's wrong." But it's really hard to debate with her sometimes, because she doesn't give my side any thought. She just stays with her opinion. She said her sister was a vegetarian when she was young, and that's what stunted her growth (and I'll just say the family isn't very tall, so you get the whole picture). This post just backs up my opinion of it being healthier to be vegetarian than not. You just have to have a balanced meal, or it won't be healthy.

I would love to send her this page, too, but she never believes stuff much on the internet, and she would probably think it was unreliable, so there would be no point. I'll probably end up sending it to her anyways, though.  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff