Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
what is the great rite? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:22 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:14 pm
well...........I see you like to make people look stupid. I'm sorry you feel the need to be more correct than others.

Sanctified has bad connotations to me. I just don't like it. I would rather used words like sacred or consecrated. (yes, I know they are part of the deffinition)

Quote:
Regardless, answer my question. What is there missing from the ley person's perspective of the Great Rite.

As for what is the differece between them, it is the Mystery. That is quite obvious.  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:28 pm
Neko_Bast
well...........I see you like to make people look stupid. I'm sorry you feel the need to be more correct than others.

Eleanor Roosevelt said: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Bottom line- Reagun is right. Why is he right? Because he knows what he is talking about due to years of study and Initiation.
Quote:

Sanctified has bad connotations to me. I just don't like it. I would rather used words like sacred or consecrated. (yes, I know they are part of the deffinition)
Which means it is presumptuous for you to put words in Reagun's mouth when you take offence to what he says due to your personal bias. Stop it. It isn't helping you any.

Quote:

As for what is the differece between them, it is the Mystery. That is quite obvious.

It's also very obvious that there is more to it than just the Mystery aspect. This isn't even basic Wicca 101, it's Basic Invocation 101. Which is a major source of the conflict in the thread.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:01 pm
TeaDidikai
Neko_Bast

It's also very obvious that there is more to it than just the Mystery aspect. This isn't even basic Wicca 101, it's Basic Invocation 101. Which is a major source of the conflict in the thread.

I'm not going to go into the whole ritual just for this tread. In every Great Rite, or if you must, hieros gamos; you call on the Goddess and the God. The names that are called might be different but the Gods are necessary for the ritual. The participants are, to the best of their ability, making themselves channels for the divine on all levels, physical to spiritual.  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:24 pm
Neko_Bast
I'm not going to go into the whole ritual just for this tread. In every Great Rite, or if you must, hieros gamos; you call on the Goddess and the God. The names that are called might be different but the Gods are necessary for the ritual. The participants are, to the best of their ability, making themselves channels for the divine on all levels, physical to spiritual.

Which, once again brings us back to the age old question- How do you know the Gods you call are the Wiccan Gods?

Further- as a religion of "Right Practice" how do you know that you are doing the ritual as the Wiccan Lord and Lady demand of the Wicca?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:26 am
Neko_Bast
well...........I see you like to make people look stupid.

I really wish I could take credit for that. Truly I do. However, I did not put words in your mouth. I did not make it look like you said those things, you said them. I corrected you in as nice a manner as I could. If your world is so fragile that you can't take corrections, then you'd best wrap yourself in cotton wool and never leave your house again.

Neko_Bast
I'm sorry you feel the need to be more correct than others.

This is a binary set up. Right or Wrong. There is no in between here.

Neko_Bast
Sanctified has bad connotations to me.

Like I said, I am not to be held responsible for your inferrances.

Neko_Bast

So.... how can you have performed the rite if you don't know and understand the mysteries?

Neko_Bast
I'm not going to go into the whole ritual just for this tread. In every Great Rite, or if you must, hieros gamos; you call on the Goddess and the God.

Stop right there. The Hieros Gamos is not equatory to the Great Rite. The Great Rite is a form of Hieros Gamos. A square is a form of rectangle. See where this is going?

Neko_Bast
The names that are called might be different but the Gods are necessary for the ritual. The participants are, to the best of their ability, making themselves channels for the divine on all levels, physical to spiritual.

Not "the Gods". The Lord and Lady of Wicca. Only the Lord and Lady of Wicca. Any other deities and it's not the Great Rite, it may be Heiros Gamos, but not neccessarily  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:42 am
reagun ban
Neko_Bast
well...........I see you like to make people look stupid.

I really wish I could take credit for that. Truly I do. However, I did not put words in your mouth. I did not make it look like you said those things, you said them. I corrected you in as nice a manner as I could. If your world is so fragile that you can't take corrections, then you'd best wrap yourself in cotton wool and never leave your house again.

Neko_Bast
I'm sorry you feel the need to be more correct than others.

This is a binary set up. Right or Wrong. There is no in between here.

Neko_Bast
Sanctified has bad connotations to me.

Like I said, I am not to be held responsible for your inferrances.

rofl

reagun ban
Neko_Bast

So.... how can you have performed the rite if you don't know and understand the mysteries?

oh.....wait.......I forgot, you don't believe I can know the mysteries..... rolleyes

reagun ban
Neko_Bast
I'm not going to go into the whole ritual just for this tread. In every Great Rite, or if you must, hieros gamos; you call on the Goddess and the God.

Stop right there. The Hieros Gamos is not equatory to the Great Rite. The Great Rite is a form of Hieros Gamos. A square is a form of rectangle. See where this is going?

duh.......

reagun ban
Neko_Bast
The names that are called might be different but the Gods are necessary for the ritual. The participants are, to the best of their ability, making themselves channels for the divine on all levels, physical to spiritual.

Not "the Gods". The Lord and Lady of Wicca. Only the Lord and Lady of Wicca. Any other deities and it's not the Great Rite, it may be Heiros Gamos, but not neccessarily

again.....duh.....although, they will usually call on Gods
Herios Gamos:Wikipedia
means a coupling (sometimes marriage) of a god and a man or a woman, often having a symbolic meaning and generally conducted in the spring. It is an ancient ritual in which participants believed that they could gain profound religious experience through sexual intercourse. Participants assumed characteristics of deities, often channeling the deities in question, and by their union provided symbolic and literal fertility for themselves, the land, and their people.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:40 am
Neko_Bast
rofl

And with that swift logic and cutting wit Reagun Ban was smote down..... oh wait. No. That does nothing.

Neko_Bast
oh.....wait.......I forgot, you don't believe I can know the mysteries..... rolleyes

Challenge time.
What are the names of the Lord and Lady of Wicca.
Feel free to pm them to me.

Neko_Bast
again.....duh.....although, they will usually call on Gods

Fallacy: appeal to authority.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

quantum_leaper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:43 am
Sorry was there an original counter arguement buried somewhere in that last post?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:53 am
quantum_leaper
Sorry was there an original counter arguement buried somewhere in that last post?

Who was that directed at man? Me or Neko?  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

quantum_leaper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:01 am
reagun ban
quantum_leaper

Neko,

A total of 20 words(not counting smileys) not saying anything of worth doesnt exaclty could as a counter to an arguement...  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:48 pm
quantum_leaper
reagun ban
quantum_leaper

Neko,

A total of 20 words(not counting smileys) not saying anything of worth doesnt exaclty could as a counter to an arguement...

Neko? Have you looked into the concept of Logical Fallacies yet?  

TeaDidikai

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:34 pm
TeaDidikai
quantum_leaper
reagun ban
quantum_leaper

Neko,

Neko? Have you looked into the concept of Logical Fallacies yet?

(this is to all three)

quantum_leaper.......If you look I'm not really arguing, I was agreeing.

TeaDidikai..........On the logical fallacies, I wasn't appealing to authority because to commit that fallacy my statement would have to come from someone out of their field. Check out the site.

Reagun.......would you really stop questioning me if I told you the sacred names of the God and Goddess?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:18 am
Neko_Bast
Reagun.......would you really stop questioning me if I told you the sacred names of the God and Goddess?

You don't know the sacred names of the God and Goddess.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:42 pm
Neko_Bast
you haven't established any knowledge of the religion you are claiming to be a part of. his is a safe bet that if you can't answer outercourt materia that you wouldn't be able to answer mystery related questions either.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff