Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]
Astronomy Summer Term [FINAL is UP] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Astronomy Class outdoors !?
  Sounds about right...
  Awww, I wanted class in the Tower !
View Results

SharpProcess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:49 pm
ApostleOfTheWind13
That may be so but wouldn't you rather her father have permitted her to Perseus without her say than her father promising her to his brother, her uncle, without her say so? I know that was sort of common in those days but it's still really creepy and disturbing for me.

I'd rather Perseus and her father were decent enough to set her free to marry whomever she wants.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:54 am
Mothette x
ApostleOfTheWind13
That may be so but wouldn't you rather her father have permitted her to Perseus without her say than her father promising her to his brother, her uncle, without her say so? I know that was sort of common in those days but it's still really creepy and disturbing for me.

I'd rather Perseus and her father were decent enough to set her free to marry whomever she wants.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hailey Redgrave, first year Ravenclaw at Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

I agree, however, I just assumed that women had hardly any freedom in those days so the thought never occurred to me.

Hazel, 10 3/4"
Firm with Phoenix feather core

ApostleOfTheWind13
Crew

Sweet Gaian

SharpProcess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:00 pm
ApostleOfTheWind13
I agree, however, I just assumed that women had hardly any freedom in those days so the thought never occurred to me.

I'm a bit rusty on my history here, but I think there were places that were egalitarian even back then, we just don't hear much about them because the most oppressing cultures are usually victors, and victors tell history. Anyway I've never found culture an acceptable excuse for trampling rights, so bringing them up is usually the first thing I do.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:33 pm
Gah! I love mythology and all, but these multiple affairs and promising hands to multiple people, I mean come on. I know people say marriage is sacred and that people today are messing it up, but look at what these people used to do. Some people must be looking at the past with rose colored glasses to think that history was better than today. I mean at least now you don't have two brothers "accidentally" engaged to the same woman, and then kill each other over her.  

Tohru_luvs_catz

Tipsy Friend

5,900 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Tohru_luvs_catz

Tipsy Friend

5,900 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:46 pm
Mothette x
ApostleOfTheWind13

I'm a bit rusty on my history here, but I think there were places that were egalitarian even back then, we just don't hear much about them because the most oppressing cultures are usually victors, and victors tell history. Anyway I've never found culture an acceptable excuse for trampling rights, so bringing them up is usually the first thing I do.

Well back then they didn't think of it as "trampling rights." because women/daughters were thought of as property/inferior. They were things to be provided for and that was so common of thought that even women thought of themselves that way. So her father was probably actually thought of as "decent enough" for promising her to a strong powerful man, a "hero", who could provide for her well.

You are correct though that there were some cultures that were egalitarian, usually they were nomadic groups where it was more necessary for a woman to help in the providing. There were even few cultures where the more dominant (as in "wearing the pants in the relationship.") was in fact women, again this was typically nomadic groups who viewed women as stronger for being able to bear childeren, so rather that the common of the woman leaving her family to join the man's (taking the man's last name.) It was acctually the other way around.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:55 pm
wahmbulance Announcement ! I will be gone for about a week's time on important RL business, so i would like for you to complete your HW and classwork for this lesson, i may have the charm's professor post the next lesson within next week if that does't happen just wait for me to return sorry for any inconvenience PM me for any questions and submit everything to me as usual ! wahmbulance

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

SharpProcess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:58 pm
Tohru_luvs_catz
Well back then they didn't think of it as "trampling rights." because women/daughters were thought of as property/inferior. They were things to be provided for and that was so common of thought that even women thought of themselves that way. So her father was probably actually thought of as "decent enough" for promising her to a strong powerful man, a "hero", who could provide for her well.

You are correct though that there were some cultures that were egalitarian, usually they were nomadic groups where it was more necessary for a woman to help in the providing. There were even few cultures where the more dominant (as in "wearing the pants in the relationship.") was in fact women, again this was typically nomadic groups who viewed women as stronger for being able to bear childeren, so rather that the common of the woman leaving her family to join the man's (taking the man's last name.) It was acctually the other way around.

I know, but I still feel the need to bring them up wherever. It's always at the front of my mind.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:20 am
Mothette x

Yeah women's rights is always an interesting topic/debate, and even harder when (as I had a guy do to me) people then start argueing chivalry. I've seen some guys I know get yelled at for trying to do something for a girl, trying to be chivalrous, and she thinks he's degrading her for not letting her do it herself. Then see the same guy get yelled at for not doing something for a girl, and that girl calling it not respecting her. I mean dang. Guys don't know what to do with us anymore, cause it's either one way or the other, and both can be wrong. I've had many family members in the army, and every guy will agree, that the reason for the longest that women were not allowed to be in combat is because a woman out on a battlefeild makes a man a bad soldier. If there is a call for a retreat, and the enemy has made it past the lines, and there is a woman in the ranks, the man is less likely to follow his orders and save himself, he will try to save the woman first, and that in army standards makes him a bad soldier. As much as we argue for equality in ranks and society what the real debate comes down to chivalry, what is their instinct to provide and protect and what is supressing rights?  

Tohru_luvs_catz

Tipsy Friend

5,900 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:45 pm
So not many completed the second assignment even with my leave of absence many students had a great opportunity to take advantage of hose points will be deducted if the assignments are not done by tomorrow morning for those who already submitted them extra credit will be rewarded
BY TOMORROW NIGHT LESSON 3 WILL BE UP LAST CHANCE TO COMPLETE YOUR ASSIGNMENT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:31 pm
Points awarded for lesson two is as follows:
Gryffindor: - 10 pts
Ravenclaw: +15 points
ApostleOfTheWind13 +20 points +5 pts
vvwinter114: -10 points

Hufflepuff: +20 points +5 pts
Slytherin: 0 pts
Mothette x +10 points
TheBlackCheshireCatsLover -10 points

Because the hufflepuff and ravenclw students were the only ones who turned in the assignment with the time frame they recieve +5 extra credit each
Lesson 3 is now up ! Please complete the ssignment no classwork will be due for this assignment but class participation is required...
Also lesson two can be completed but only half credit will be awarded classwork can not me made up for lesson two

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

SharpProcess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:33 pm
Aunt Slappy

Professor what am I missing I thought I did it all? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:41 am
I like dragons. Has anyone here read the Percy Jackson series? It's very interesting and I would really recommend it, from my knowledge of Greek/Roman Mythology, it is a fairly accurate series, keeping in mind it's modern day and the intended audience is about middle school/junior high to about high school. Though being in college I still find this series entertaining. The Dragon Landon does make a few appearances in the series.  

Tohru_luvs_catz

Tipsy Friend

5,900 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

ApostleOfTheWind13
Crew

Sweet Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:47 pm
Tohru_luvs_catz
I like dragons. Has anyone here read the Percy Jackson series? It's very interesting and I would really recommend it, from my knowledge of Greek/Roman Mythology, it is a fairly accurate series, keeping in mind it's modern day and the intended audience is about middle school/junior high to about high school. Though being in college I still find this series entertaining. The Dragon Landon does make a few appearances in the series.

I have always LOVED dragons! They're my favorite mythical creature followed closely by mermaids and unicorns. I've been curious about the Percy Jackson series since I found out about it.

Hazel, 10 3/4"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:42 pm
ApostleOfTheWind13

I have always LOVED dragons! They're my favorite mythical creature followed closely by mermaids and unicorns. I've been curious about the Percy Jackson series since I found out about it.

Hazel, 10 3/4"

It is a good series. I have not personally read the series. Back in high school my mom would read it out loud to my younger brother, and what I heard from the series is very good. I was usually busy with homework though, and missed several parts of the books. My mom and my brother really enjoyed the series though, and I have considered going back and reading them.
(Don't think that just cause it was read at bed time makes it childish, my mom also read the Harry Potter series to us when we were younger. That and many others.)

Tohru_luvs_catz

Tipsy Friend

5,900 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

ApostleOfTheWind13
Crew

Sweet Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:00 pm
Tohru_luvs_catz
ApostleOfTheWind13

Oh no I wasn't thinking they were childish at all! I STILL go back and read the HP books and I'm turning 24 in late August. Heck, I even semi-frequently read HP fanfics. Anyway, I may have to make a trip to the library as soon as I can. Probably won't be very soon though.

Hazel, 10 3/4"

Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas