Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:24 pm
Kortz
I'm an Agnostic Atheist, but I am really contemplating my stance on everything. I have friends from all religions, but I really thing my mindset is shifting towards Atheism..and dismissing Agnostic viewpoints.
I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by this. Agnostic atheists are already atheists. Do you mean leaning towards gnostic atheism (agnostic atheism is "I don't believe in God, but I'm open to being proven otherwise somehow," while gnostic atheism is "I don't believe in God and I AM RIGHT AND KNOW THIS FOR A FACT.")?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:43 am
I just have a question if I may post it.
I'm an atheist but I married into a catholic family. My husband is atheist as well though. During the holidays we went to his brothers and before I could eat they wanted to join hands and say a prayer. I really dislike having to be involved in stuff like that but I didn't know how to excuse myself from that situation without coming off rude. I mentioned to his younger cousin that I really didn't want to be apart of it since I'm atheist and she made a snarky comment about it.
What is a good way to go about stating to them when a situation like that arises again that I don't want to partake in their prayers? I could just suck it up and do it but it makes me feel really uncomfortable to do so.  

Fox on Stilts

Aged Fox

broken_bleeding_angel

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:03 pm
Fox on Stilts
I'm an atheist but I married into a catholic family. My husband is atheist as well though. During the holidays we went to his brothers and before I could eat they wanted to join hands and say a prayer. I really dislike having to be involved in stuff like that but I didn't know how to excuse myself from that situation without coming off rude. I mentioned to his younger cousin that I really didn't want to be apart of it since I'm atheist and she made a snarky comment about it.
What is a good way to go about stating to them when a situation like that arises again that I don't want to partake in their prayers? I could just suck it up and do it but it makes me feel really uncomfortable to do so.

My family does this. They're Baptist and I'm an Atheist, but they know I don't care for it either but I'm expected to join in since "I'm part of the family".
Though if your husband is expected to by his family, I can see why they would expect you to as well. Though expressing to the family, letting them know it makes you uncomfortable, should be the first step you take. After all, would you not show them the same consideration in your house were they all to be there?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:39 pm
Fox on Stilts
I know this feeling all too well. However, I usually stay quiet because it's not worth any of the hassle that can come from dismissing someone else's rituals.

I'll just usually bow my head along with them and stare at the table. If I'm asked to say a blessing, I'll say something like "I'll pass, but thanks," and smile a bit. As uncomfortable as I am when I'm forced to join in a blessing, I don't want to offend anyone. It shouldn't offend them, but it can.

Since it's your husband's family, consider how your standing with them is now. If they like you already, maybe they'll try to respect you (although snarky comments seems to be against that), but if you're on a neutral to iffy standing with them, just go with it. It could create some hostility or tension if not.  

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

Latrans

Devoted Inquisitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:24 pm
Fox on Stilts

In their home, suck it up and do it. They're hosting you; if you're too uncomfortable, leave.

In your home, they need to respect your wishes.

In public, excuse yourself.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:51 pm
User Image

User Image

I am an atheist, and I have a feeling somehow that I have been my whole life.

I remember, a few years ago, when my mother, who is Christian (no idea what kind, but not Catholic), was arguing with my older brother, who is a strong atheist. They were arguing Creationism vs. Evolution, and, for some reason, I took my mother's side. Yet, I remember thinking "I don't believe anything about what I'm saying; there is fossil evidence for evolution, and I know I believe it." I think that's when I really realized I was an atheist. That and the fact that I've never been to church in my life, though I grew up celebrating Christian holidays.

Though I am an atheist, my friends and I always joke about me being a Satanist, just because, for some reason, their beliefs fascinate me.
I've also been known to randomly joke with my friend by saying "Hail Satan" or "Gloire à Satan", depending on the situation.

reshi xx

Tipsy Capitalist

32. ✿ - - - Religious Haven

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas