Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord of Ostlandria

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:34 pm
Canas Wainwright
Lethkhar
You know, you don't have to paint them exactly how they paint them in White Dwarf. Do what you want, they're your models.

I do paint how I want. That's why my Slayers beards aren't that horrible orange colour.
I just perfer the lookof the old war machines anyway. They look better I think.

The best models of all are of course the Drunk Dwarf series.
I wish I had more of them...

Do you understand why thier beards are orange ?

And I agree about the new war machines . The bolt thrower at any rate . I'm glad I got a couple of old ones before the new ones came out . But I do really like the new cannon on the other hand. It's much more dwarfish.  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:50 pm
dthed
Canas Wainwright
Lethkhar
You know, you don't have to paint them exactly how they paint them in White Dwarf. Do what you want, they're your models.

I do paint how I want. That's why my Slayers beards aren't that horrible orange colour.

And I agree about the new war machines . The bolt thrower at any rate . I'm glad I got a couple of old ones before the new ones came out . But I do really like the new cannon on the other hand. It's much more dwarfish.
Yeah, I understand the reason but I just don't like the orange colour. It's naff.
Besides, if these lads are wandering around inthe wilderness looking for big drooling nasties to kill, would they really have time to keep up a strict hair dying regiment?
The cannon is cool but the bolt and stone throwers are fails on model design.  

Lesser Nirvana

Lord of Ostlandria

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:51 pm
Canas Wainwright
dthed
Canas Wainwright
Lethkhar

Yeah, I understand the reason but I just don't like the orange colour. It's naff.
Besides, if these lads are wandering around inthe wilderness looking for big drooling nasties to kill, would they really have time to keep up a strict hair dying regiment?
The cannon is cool but the bolt and stone throwers are fails on model design.

I guess.
I really don't like the new bolt thrower. Its like giant crossbow mounted on a box. The old one is much better.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:34 pm
The main thing that some of the new Dwarf warmachines raise, is how the hell do you move them? They have no wheels, so clearly they cannot be moved, and if thats the case, they'd have to be built on the battlefield. Thats fine and dandy, but what happens if its necessary to move them, you just can't... its odd.  

EliotJamesRookwood

Micks 109

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:40 pm
EliotJamesRookwood
The main thing that some of the new Dwarf warmachines raise, is how the hell do you move them? They have no wheels, so clearly they cannot be moved, and if thats the case, they'd have to be built on the battlefield. Thats fine and dandy, but what happens if its necessary to move them, you just can't... its odd.

yes they can be moved, you could just say that the crew pick up the war machine and move it some were else  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:13 pm
Thats just retarded though. Dwarves are supposed to be inventors, and the greatest craft workers. It seems odd that they'd lift up their warmachines and move them. They should have wheels by all means. Though, in retrospect this is a nerdy and pointless argument.  

EliotJamesRookwood

Everlasting Chaos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:38 am
EliotJamesRookwood

They're DWARVES! Moving with anything resembling speed is beyond them.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:44 am
Their cannon has wheels, and in the new set of Skull Pass they have a donkey cart.  

EliotJamesRookwood

EliotJamesRookwood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:39 pm
What is the best thing the dwarves have going for them?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:46 pm
Would the Dwarves make for a good army to start out with in Fantasy?
Also would the Battalion be a wise starting purchase?  

freak_unleashed

3,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

EliotJamesRookwood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:42 pm
I would buy it simply because it is a deal. Dwarves are a solid army of infantry. Not only that, you can play Goblins if you feel like it too. The set is an awesome deal, a friend and I plan to buy 2 boxes, with me getting all the Dwarf stuff, and him getting the goblin stuff. If you work it out, its a real steal.

If you want a breakdown of all the Dwarf units I can give you it as well.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:42 pm
freak_unleashed

It all really depends on what type of army you're looking for. In my experience Dwarves are basically rocks. They aren't moving anywhere fast, and they're a real nuisance to kill. (Actually they have a magic item that quite literally turns them to stone xd ) To make up for their lack of speed they have some nice long-range weapons too. So if you're looking for a speedy army or one that will quickly crush the enemy in any way, Dwarves aren't for you. They don't have anything in the way of magic either.  

Everlasting Chaos

EliotJamesRookwood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:13 am
Everlasting Chaos
freak_unleashed

It all really depends on what type of army you're looking for. In my experience Dwarves are basically rocks. They aren't moving anywhere fast, and they're a real nuisance to kill. (Actually they have a magic item that quite literally turns them to stone xd ) To make up for their lack of speed they have some nice long-range weapons too. So if you're looking for a speedy army or one that will quickly crush the enemy in any way, Dwarves aren't for you. They don't have anything in the way of magic either.

Yeah, no wussy spellcasters in that army. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:48 am
I'm thinking of breaking into Fantasy with a Dwarf army. Specifically, I would like to make an all Slayer army, but when I looked at the specific army list for Slayers, the points and skills seemed outdated compared to the Dwarf army book. Are the costs higher because of them being a speciality army, or is it really just outdated?

Anyways, in the meantime I have composed a 2500 point Dwarf army. I'm not a big fan of shooting in Fantasy. When I think of Fantasy, I think of some guy getting his faced smashed in with a mace, not getting shot up. I love Dwarfs so very much, but I don't like the sit back and shoot playstyle. So please don't tell me that this isn't the army for me, because I'm not all out to win. However, I would like to know if this army is set on a course for my ruin. Without further adieu:

Lord

Dwarf Lord - 246 points
Great axe (Rune of Snorri Spanglehelm, Rune of Fury, Master rune of Kragg the Grim)
Gromril armor (Master rune of Gromril, Rune of Shielding)

Heroes

Runesmith - 147 points
Shield
Master rune of Balance, Rune of Spellbreaking

Runesmith - 147 points
Shield
Master rune of Spellbinding, Rune of Spellbreaking

Dragonslayer - 125 points
Hand Axes (Rune of Fury x3)

Core

Dwarf Warriors x20 - 205 points
Shields, Musician, Standard, Champion

Dwarf Longbeards x20 - 335 points
Great weapons, Musician, Standard (Rune of Slowness), Champion

Great weapons, Musician, Standard (Master Rune of Grugni), Champion

Special

Slayers x20 - 238 points
Musician, Standard

Ironbreakers x15 - 270 points
Musician, Standard (Rune of Guarding, Rune of Sanctuary), Champion

Grudge Thrower - 185 points
Engineer, Master rune of Defense, Rune of Penetrating, Rune of Accuracy

Bolt Thrower - 50 points
Rune of Burning, Rune of Reloading

Grand total ~ 2497  

Pontius Pirate

EliotJamesRookwood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:57 pm
Pontius Pirate
I'm thinking of breaking into Fantasy with a Dwarf army. Specifically, I would like to make an all Slayer army, but when I looked at the specific army list for Slayers, the points and skills seemed outdated compared to the Dwarf army book. Are the costs higher because of them being a speciality army, or is it really just outdated?

Anyways, in the meantime I have composed a 2500 point Dwarf army. I'm not a big fan of shooting in Fantasy. When I think of Fantasy, I think of some guy getting his faced smashed in with a mace, not getting shot up. I love Dwarfs so very much, but I don't like the sit back and shoot playstyle. So please don't tell me that this isn't the army for me, because I'm not all out to win. However, I would like to know if this army is set on a course for my ruin. Without further adieu:

Lord

Dwarf Lord - 246 points
Great axe (Rune of Snorri Spanglehelm, Rune of Fury, Master rune of Kragg the Grim)
Gromril armor (Master rune of Gromril, Rune of Shielding)

Heroes

Runesmith - 147 points
Shield
Master rune of Balance, Rune of Spellbreaking

Runesmith - 147 points
Shield
Master rune of Spellbinding, Rune of Spellbreaking

Dragonslayer - 125 points
Hand Axes (Rune of Fury x3)

Core

Great weapons, Musician, Standard (Rune of Slowness), Champion

Great weapons, Musician, Standard (Master Rune of Grugni), Champion

Special

Slayers x20 - 238 points
Musician, Standard

Ironbreakers x15 - 270 points
Musician, Standard (Rune of Guarding, Rune of Sanctuary), Champion

Grudge Thrower - 185 points
Engineer, Master rune of Defense, Rune of Penetrating, Rune of Accuracy

Bolt Thrower - 50 points
Rune of Burning, Rune of Reloading

Grand total ~ 2497

Alright, I'm assuming you want a smack in your face, "Arrr, we've got axes, and soon we'll be smacking you with em." kind of army.

First of all, your Dwarf Lord seems prepared to fight, and would do very well against normal troops, but you have left yourself very open with him. He may have a 1+ armour save and a 2+ ward save versus all shooting, but consider two things which are quite deadly, killing blow(not reliable) and magic weapons that ignore armour, meaning the doom of your particular dwarf. If you still want a cheaper alternative, and my personal favourite way to get a Dwarf Lord with a nice 1+ armour save, and other goodies, I would go with Dwarf Shieldbearers and a Rune of Stone. Giving you your full armour save, and you can still have a great weapon. The total is 30pts. (25 for shieldbearers, 5 for rune of stone) but, you also get 2 WS 5 S 4 attacks for free. You've also only spent 5 of your rune allowance. I consider the rune of spite a must for a general, as its a general ward save of 4+, for 45pts. The rest of how you make the character is up to you, keeping in mind that it is very easy for an opponent to run around your tooled out Dwarf Lord. If you want a truly nasty unit you can simply put your Dwarf Lord in a unit of Hammerers, making them immune to fear and terror and being stubborn LD 10. But, be careful with the point value of him, as spend too much, and its a waste, too little, and he'll die. Giving MR to him also isn't a bad idea, for 15pts MR 1 is decent.

Your other characters seem apt to handle anti-magic defense, so good work with them. You can use them essentially as champions of units. They are tougher than the average wizard, and you won't have to worry about getting shot at.

The Dragon Slayer I have a problem with. Sure he has 6 attacks, but thats only going to last so long, with only 2 wounds Dragon Slayers go down pretty fast, even with T5. If you want him to be killy, I'd give him a Rune of Swiftness so he can strike first, and perhaps give him two runes of fury, you can at least get your attacks in before the enemy comes in. In truth, you can just as easily have him for 50pts, and he'll do fine like that. Your decision.

For your core, thats a large number of Dwarves, which is cool, but you may want to get out of the 20 mold. 20 is nice, but so is 25. With the Dwarf Lord's special rule, you only need 1 unit of Dwarf warriors, and you can have 2 Longbeard units. Your set-up should do alright, I'd mix it up, and have one Dwarf warrior unit with Great Weapons, and another with shields, and same thing with the Longbeards. Don't rely on the rune of slowness, its d6 only.

Slayers are fine, I wouldn't bother with upgrading musician or standard, it can help you win combat, but your unbreakable, and thats all that matters, I would get a couple of giant slayers though, 2 or 3, at the very least one. The Dragonslayer can go in there too, and make the unit even harder to break. Use that to hold a flank.

You need to make the Ironbreakers better. They're outnumbered against fear causers, and will automatically break if beaten, you don't want those elite boys to be run down by some skeletons. Boost the unit to 20 strong, and give them the rune of courage, please. With that, they are immune to fear and terror, and they have 3 ranks. They can hold your other flank.

Your Grudge thrower is way too expensive. You can get 2 of them, and have 15pts left over. If you don't want to have 2, you can simply unload a great deal of runes, and put them elsewhere in your army. You could easily buy two bolt throwers. Speaking of which, you did the points on the bolt thrower wrong, it should be 55 or 65 pts, not 50. The engineer upgrade is good, giving the bolt thrower an additional crew, and BS 4.

Now then, your rare choice should be made with a Gyrocopter. Why? It can fly, and while your engaged with a unit with your dwarves, it can run after them with 3d6, a great deal better then chasing after a unit with 2d6-1. You can also use the gyrocopter to annoy people, and it has a steam weapon it can unleash. Its a good thing to have in a very close combat oriented army, allowing you to destroy units when they break.

There are many alternatives to your army, if you want to know them, talk to me.  
Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff