Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Cadian IG Restoration/Tallarn Conversion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Van Evok

Dangerous Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:29 pm
Got any good name for the army itself?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:23 am
Van Evok
Got any good name for the army itself?
Nothing special really, it's the Tallarn 17th Rifles, 7th Company, with components of the Tallarn 39th Sabres, 2nd Company.

Here's a test model for the new color scheme, no awesome heads yet unfortunately. What do you think? Is the base color too yellow? Bear with me, as I'm using archaic and outdated paints, but the cloth is Kommando Khaki, the plates are Bubonic Brown, and the striping is Bestial Brown.

User Image  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:35 pm
I'm working on converting a Catachan head to have the headdress appearance I'm looking for. Catachans are pretty easy converting heads, because most already have the forehead band, and have close-cut hair that is easy to trim and round down on the top.

In the meantime, here's my Powerpoint-based concept art for the infantry head and armor scheme, still pinning down which colors to use for the armor.

User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:21 am
Either do a darker cloth to go with the armour or put a camo pattern on the cloth as well, but different from the armour, like cookie dough pattern or that digital stuff they use now. Alsooooooooo, what kind of camo goes on the tanks and such?  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:52 pm
Vikki Stardust
Either do a darker cloth to go with the armour or put a camo pattern on the cloth as well, but different from the armour, like cookie dough pattern or that digital stuff they use now. Alsooooooooo, what kind of camo goes on the tanks and such?
Here was my earlier concept shot for vehicles, but I'm thinking about increasing the size of the striping and making the background a little lighter. I'll be more sure after the infantry color scheme is finalized.

User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:02 am
DarkElf27
Vikki Stardust
Here was my earlier concept shot for vehicles, but I'm thinking about increasing the size of the striping and making the background a little lighter. I'll be more sure after the infantry color scheme is finalized.

User Image
I think vertical stripes would work better.  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:20 am
Vikki Stardust
DarkElf27
Vikki Stardust

User Image
I think vertical stripes would work better.
Rare as it is, I agree with Vikki. What is this world coming to?! gonk

A vertical pattern would work better in breaking up the shape of the vehicle, as camouflage was never about properly concealing the vehicle, but rather breaking up the outline and making it harder to see properly.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

You could go with the Queen of the Desert! wink
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/35300matilda/index.htm

Or you could go with a single solid colour, which while more mundane, is still the best option for tanks operating in desert environments.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/Challenger2-Bergen-Hohne-Training-Area-2.jpg  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:39 am
Good point(s). I'm thinking probably a Komando Khaki backdrop with thin diagonal Graveyard Earth striping.

On which note, I've marked up three test models and come up with a theme I like that doesn't look quite as much like a giraffe. Komando Khaki cloth, Graveyard Earth plates, and Scorched Brown tiger striping on the plates. I'm thinking about striping the cloth as well, but the texture of the fabric is too rough to get clean stripes, at least for standard infantry.

Still working on finishing the first prototype infantryman, updates to follow later on. smile  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:13 am
DarkElf27
Good point(s). I'm thinking probably a Komando Khaki backdrop with thin diagonal Graveyard Earth striping.
Khaki for entire vehicles? Oh my, I admire your pursuit in self-inflicted punishment! wink  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:29 am
Lady Blodwynn
DarkElf27
Khaki for entire vehicles? Oh my, I admire your pursuit in self-inflicted punishment! wink
sweatdrop I might need to find a medium/light brown primer to basecoat the things with, so that I can get away with fewer coats.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:07 am
DarkElf27
Lady Blodwynn
DarkElf27
sweatdrop I might need to find a medium/light brown primer to basecoat the things with, so that I can get away with fewer coats.
You might want to swap the kommando khaki for Vallejo khaki or GW's new khaki paint, not as thin as the old stuff.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:56 am
DarkElf27
Lady Blodwynn
DarkElf27
GW has a guide to painting khaki, using their new paints, that can be found here.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:01 pm
Prototype Tallarn guardsman! If photobucket will stop glitching out on me. neutral

Yet to be added, squad markings and basing. Current feedback is to make the headdress longer, possibly by trimming the collar down.

User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:42 pm
Didn't expect to finish tonight, but there ya are. Completed prototype guardsmen. Critiques? I want to iron out the wrinkles before starting to work on unit-sized numbers of these guys.

User Image
User Image  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:02 am
Personally I wouldn't use black lines for the clothing, it's a bit too contrasting and makes it look a bit too cartoony. Brown wash or a slightly watered down light brown paint would work much better in complimenting it. Also, the exposed metal bits of the gun might benefit from a black wash followed by a light drybrush of a lighter metal, maybe silver.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff