You spent how much on a dog!? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

floraIwitch

Popular Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:33 am
I had a pure bred Egyptian Mau. She was a litter runt, so my friend's mom gave her to us for free, but her 3 siblings were sold for about $2,000 a piece (they were all top notch show quality cats from a private cattery.)

She was my baby, and then everyone got into the habit of letting her outside, no matter how much I'd yell and scream not to. She got hit by a car dec. 2010. :C I only had her 2 years.

Anyways, now me and Pat/suits/w/e have a kitten we rescued off the street that cost his mom probably $700 in medical bills. XD (she wanted to keep him, so she paid for him).

NOT MONETARILY, but we spoil the ******** out of that dumb cat. He's gotten to the point that he thinks he's a human baby. He'll cry at your feet until you either pick him up and hold him, or feed him something. He's such a loveable little babbydkfjhkf BUT HE REALLY REALLY LIKES TO WRESTLE AND PLAY FIGHT. Pat and his dad usually rile him up a lot, and you can tell when he's about to take a really big poop, because he's like, 10x's more hyperactive.

We have a spare bathroom at the back of the house that's known as "thor's room"

we lock him up every night because he wakes us up 3 million times a night, but he's got like...2 beds, ~*~organic~*~ cat litter, and like, a dozen toys scattered in there and around the house. Our other cat, Josie, is primarily outdoor, but she comes inside to eat every day, and usually stays inside when it gets cold. She's not much of a people cat, but she's started licking my feet when she's hungry.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:28 am
My 2 dogs are super spoiled, but I think I have some high place in the hierarchy cause they don't bother me, when they need anything to bark endlessly to my mom.

My first Shih-Tzu was pretty expensive, and the baths, food and everything use a lot of money. But we made something back by selling the puppies for like 300~500 dollars and the second one we kept came for like ~free~ cause she was born here anyway.  

BiaA

Nerd

Evil Goth Bunny

Kawaii Bunny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:16 pm
I wish I could spoil my cats, but for some reason they just don't seem to care. We bought them cat beds, and they just ignore them and sleep on the floor instead.

They don't really seem to care about the toys we give them either. I have such ungrateful cats.

The most we've ever spent on our pets was probably buying chicken coops, then having to buy bigger chicken coops when we got more chickens.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:26 pm
I got my cat when she was a kitten from a rescue place. c: I think I paid $50. That went to them giving her immunizations and such. This is the picture of her that was on their website.

I don't know what type of cat she is. XD I just figured she's a mix of w/e.

I spoil her all the time though. X3 For christams, I got her a $130 cat tree. She sleeps in one of the boxes during the day. <3

As a kitten, she used to sleep on my shoulder. It was super cute. <33 Now, she sleeps next to my monitor when I'm on the computer. There's a blanket on my desk for her. lol

My cat loves shoe boxes also. OMG Doesn't matter the size. XD She'll sleep in those all day if given the chance.  

Infamous

Moonlight Citizen

44,600 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Read All Over

Bashful Bookworm

17,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:59 pm
Jayce Reinhardt
Thats all it cost?

I can't get anything near me for that price, not even at Ikea.

s**t

you can get one like $100 at walmart.com, and it only costs like $25 for shopping and stuff. I bought $300 worth of furniture and had it speed-delivered for less than $50 :3

I think walmart will own us all someday  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:04 pm
three hundred something for my Darwin. She's a chocolate lab, and a wonderful little lady. I wouldn't trade he for anything.  

Yeata Zi
Captain

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175

drumnbass420

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:46 pm
Evil Goth Bunny
I wish I could spoil my cats, but for some reason they just don't seem to care. We bought them cat beds, and they just ignore them and sleep on the floor instead.

They don't really seem to care about the toys we give them either. I have such ungrateful cats.

The most we've ever spent on our pets was probably buying chicken coops, then having to buy bigger chicken coops when we got more chickens.

do you socialize your cats? it's probably too late now actually, since socialization should start at a very early age with cats, but you can probably start now with good results! take time out of your day to play with them, and show them how to play with their new toys. put them in their beds and pet them to relax them, so they know it's a place to sleep and be comfortable. you have to teach them to use these things, they dont automatically know!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:16 pm
If this includes any pets I'm hoping on getting a hedgehog for my birthday. I've already got a cage but I'm looking into buying the other supplies like an igloo and a wheel. I'll probably need to get some heaters too because I live in a basement and also need to get a room thermometer. If we take it places I need to get stuff to make sure it's warm enough. Oh and did a mension hedgehogs are like $175 a critter?

I get a feeling this thing's gonna be spoiled xD

The cat that we had a few months ago was a spoiled brat. Even though my fiance always said he hated that cat he was always buying him toys. He was kinda my baby though so that's why we kept him. He got a urinary tract disease and we had to put him down. We had only had him for a year so I don't really want a cat for a while now :c

Pengaana

Slumbering Tengu

ROMVLVS
Crew

Elocutionist

9,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:50 pm
My aunt used to own a Chinchilla. Those are pretty expensive.

I used to have a full bread dachshund, she was like $600, and that was in 1997 money. She had some weird coloring pattern or something, though.

I don't know what my new dog cost, but I doubt it was cheap.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:11 pm
Does vet bills count as spoiling? because if so my Atticus is very spoiled. >>' His favorite pasttime is asserting his alpha male status on other neighborhood cats. The first time he came home with a hole big enough to put my finger in in his neck I kind of panicked and we took him to the vet's... but a few repeat performances later I just deal with it myself now (minus the time the dipshit got an abscess on his dumb face... >> he will drive me spare one day) He cost, like, fifty bucks? We got him as a kitten, he is a mutt cat but he looks exactly like a Russian Blue.

I would spoil him in the more traditional fashion but he does not really seem to care about cat toys or beds or catnip. His favorite toys are important papers, socks, and live vermin. I do still give him milk, even though it's not that good for him. We managed to get him to lose a little weight, recently, just by kicking his fat a** outside more often. XD He is my bro kitty. We are total best friends. He used to be all embarrassed of me cuddling him in public (read: my front yard) but he has gotten over it in his old age, and will now gladly bro with me on our front steps in the sun.

My other cat, Gigi, I would say she is spoiled, but it's kind of hard to say. She either has the brain of a chinchilla, or nothing whatsoever up there. I love her to death, but, well... the phrase 'prettier than she is smart' comes to mind. She likes to take dust baths and then climb in my bed. =_=; When she first came to live with us she slept in my bed every night, under the covers, cuddled up next to me like a stuffed animal. heart Recently with the cold weather snap, Atticus has started wanting to sleep on my bed as well, and Gigi is kind of a personal space princess, so I keep getting to deal with territory spats on my bed while half-awake at 4 in the morning...

I love my kitties, you can tell this because I write essays about them  

Catena Carswell

Magic Hobo

Voievoda

Shy Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:40 am
meekstape
i got my two cats from a near by shelter as kittens and they are the two sweetest cats imaginable. queen is very playful and mischievous, but loves to snuggle and be held. damien is a lil baby mushy mess. he is more mellow and snuggly than queen, but still playful and sweet. damien is also very vocal, he meows constantly.

that being said, i spoil them the best way i know how: with food. i make sure they get the best food that i am able to find, which usually ends up being nice fatty pieces of raw meat, and raw food especially made for pet consumption. it's...a bit pricey, yeah, but their coats and beautiful, they're healthy and active, and their poop is healthy!! if i can feed them any of that stuff, i make sure the canned food i buy has plenty of taurine, and contains no form of....grain gluten. in fact, i make sure the food contains little to no grains period, since cats (and dogs) cant digest that kind if stuff and it just ends up turning into fat.

i worked for an animal nutritionist for about two years, and he taught me a lot about animal nutrition and what dogs and cats need and about common pet food myths and stuff. i hated working for him, but really do treasure that knowledge!

Been meaning to ask about the raw meat. I can't convince either of my cats to eat it emo . If it's ain't chicken or turkey out mince/casserole out of a can and heated up, they give me a dirty look and just eat their fry food *failed cat owner* They'll sometimes eat cooked chicken, but only if it's the sort that covered in sauces and spices. I've been trying for years to convince them that raw chicken wings/necks are good....

Ah, since we're discussing our beautiful pets, I'll do mine. Zoe I got for free from the place I'm working when she was 6 wks old. (I had to still give her kitten milk). Just a black fluffy moggie. She hates children...but they love her, because all she does is whinge when they pick her up. And she soo cuddly and floppy like a ragdoll cat. Oh gods she a little princess though. Will only eat out a ceramic dish with a slight lip to it. (Can't have her whiskers touching stuff. That's sin, that is) And she'll only eat if the other cat eats. Oh and her favourite food is ice-cream. God help you, if she catches you eating it. She'll climb your body for it emo

The other is a bengal cat. We got him also free...but only because we half owned the mother. We gave up out share for Jacuri. He's very naughty and he doesn't like to be cuddled or held. Only petted. Oh man, he's super playful too. Plays fetch and eats Vo's toesies. He is the offical destroyer of cat toys.

They both enjoy tormenting my sister's white lab XD.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:56 am
Voievoda
meekstape
i got my two cats from a near by shelter as kittens and they are the two sweetest cats imaginable. queen is very playful and mischievous, but loves to snuggle and be held. damien is a lil baby mushy mess. he is more mellow and snuggly than queen, but still playful and sweet. damien is also very vocal, he meows constantly.

that being said, i spoil them the best way i know how: with food. i make sure they get the best food that i am able to find, which usually ends up being nice fatty pieces of raw meat, and raw food especially made for pet consumption. it's...a bit pricey, yeah, but their coats and beautiful, they're healthy and active, and their poop is healthy!! if i can feed them any of that stuff, i make sure the canned food i buy has plenty of taurine, and contains no form of....grain gluten. in fact, i make sure the food contains little to no grains period, since cats (and dogs) cant digest that kind if stuff and it just ends up turning into fat.

i worked for an animal nutritionist for about two years, and he taught me a lot about animal nutrition and what dogs and cats need and about common pet food myths and stuff. i hated working for him, but really do treasure that knowledge!

Been meaning to ask about the raw meat. I can't convince either of my cats to eat it emo . If it's ain't chicken or turkey out mince/casserole out of a can and heated up, they give me a dirty look and just eat their fry food *failed cat owner* They'll sometimes eat cooked chicken, but only if it's the sort that covered in sauces and spices. I've been trying for years to convince them that raw chicken wings/necks are good....

my old boss had a pretty good saying for situations like this: dogs will eat anything, but a cat will starve itself. if a cat has spent years eating one thing, it'll be hard to get it to switch cold turkey. you have two options:

1) dont give in. leave out the food you want to feed it for 15 minutes. make sure the cats see it and acknowledge it. then after 15 minutes, if they dont do anything, take up the food, and repeat this process for days if you have to! This shows the cats that they have a limited window of time to eat. and cat's arent stupid! eventually they'll give in and eat what's laid out for them, but it might take a while because cats are also stubborn.

2) gradually incorporate the food you want to feed your cat into the food your cat is used to and do this over a period of time. for example:

like...let's say you want to start feeding your cats a diet of raw chicken, but they love friskies. start off with 75% friskies to 25% raw diet for the first week and a half. mix it really well to make sure they cant tell they're eating it! then do a 50/50 mix for the next week, then finally a 25/75 mix until you completely switch them over.

it's way harder with cats to get them to try new foods, but you can get them to give in!! it's just really hard. fortunately i have cats that'll eat anything. well...actually that's a lie. one cat prefers fish over the other cat, but they both love raw chicken. its weird.  

drumnbass420

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Eudaemon

Unbeatable Visionary

10,550 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:10 pm
Look up the price of a Pekingese.

burning_eyes

Factor in organic dog food and dog treats.
And a new toy every week.

My mom really loves our dog.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:18 pm
Well, I can't relate to, well, dogs and their costs, but... Me parents have cats that, well, I, and my siblings, grew up with, and, well, they usually feed them this:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

...But the real cost is in that me parents always ask me to bring them one of these when I come to visit:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I personally don't know why exactly (and the story behind how it came about is a bit convoluted), but apparently the cats really like that brand and, well, my parents like to use that cat food as a sort of special occasion meal for the cats cat_rolleyes  

meep12345

Sexy Bear

42,740 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Gaia Merch Box Achievement 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

drumnbass420

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:56 pm
Orijen is a pretty ok food for cats, but the stuff you were feeding them before looks......terrible. it's probably loaded with wheat and graind and glutens as filler to keep the cost low.

try and AVOID an all dry food diet for cats. because even if they are getting a pretty good dry food, such as orijen or inova ivo or abbey, cat's get a MAJORITY of their water and moisture intake from their food. meaning fresh raw meats and even canned food is ideal for cats. if you notice a cat is drinking frequently from their water bowl, it's dehydrated and it's trying to compensate for all the moisture its lacking in its diet. THIS LEADS TO KIDNEY DISEASES. i cannot stress that enough!

meep, try and wean your cats onto a much better food than...whatever brand fokker is, and maybe onto orijen's wet food? or raw food? (natural instinct is an excellent raw food brand, if i have the name right)  
Come Back Mero <33

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff