Welcome to Gaia! ::

GCD GANGSTAS

Back to Guilds

Its just that hip, yo 

Tags: Geeceedee, GCDer, Items, Plot, Awesome 

Reply Come Back Mero <33
What books is you reading' son? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vyudali

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:34 am
Menlusa
Yayy, I shall definitely look into it.

I have always considered joining a book club, but I'm afraid I'm too shy D:
I wouldn't even know how to find one
[[If you have a local library, they should have one. Just ask what time, what book, and show up.
I was actually really shy when i joined mine in middle school, but after the librarians noticed how many books i checked out in one week, they told me to join. Once you get to know them they are really fun. I'm one of the leaders now. xD' The librarian makes me introduce the book every time.
]]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:53 am
Menlusa
Sachie Whitby

Just to warn you with the Divine Comedy as that it is essentially an epic poem, but Dante's writing style isn't nearly as reader friendly as Homer's. I'd read The Iliad and The Odyssey, preferably in that order, before the Divine Comedy if they are also on the list.

Yeah, that is why its way down on the list actually.
I got the Illiad and the Odyssey last xmas (still needing the Aeneid) and I've been planning on reading those first to get used to the style and then venturing to Dante

I do not have the Aeneid either thus why I didn't mention it as I cannot comment on if it is friendly to the reader or not.  

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Read All Over

Bashful Bookworm

17,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:48 am
Waking Buddha
I want to read 'The Help' emotion_dowant I hope somebody gives it to me for Christmas.

Recently my friend told me she has the True Blood books so I've borrowed the first one. Haven't made it past page 2 though. /I need a good series. I haven't been reading lately.

I like the Sookie from the books way better than the Sookie in the show, but the show has way better plots and characters. The books follow Sookie solely, while the show had a lot of side stories/plots that involved minor characters that were fun (like omg jason stackhouse).

hmmmm I've been keeping up with the Game of Thrones, which I really like but I'm sorta getting bored with. I'm waiting for something really significant to happen. I'm also a little tired of his make-'em-think-this-character-is-really-dead gimmick. Anytime it looks like a character died, it's almost a sure thing he didn't.

I really like the Wheel of Time, it's pretty much my fav fantasy series ever. I don't much care for the way Brian Sanderson is finishing it up though, especially since the last book has been delayed yet again stare

I liked the Hunger Games, but I thought the last book was really boring. I'm also somewhat disappointed in the casting for the new movie, none of the actors look anything like I pictured the characters.

I sometimes read Dean Koontz on a whim, since his books are always entertaining, but I find him kinda preachy lately. He also almost always has the exact same characters, and they all have the same sense of humor.

Currently reading On Writing by Stephen King, which is hilarious. Seriously. Go read it, I command you, or I'll push the red button, see if I don't.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:13 am
I'm reading the Angel of Darkness, of Caleb Carr. Such a great book with a good historical background, about a investigation of a kidnapping of a baby in New York in the 19th century.  

Kiaori Moon Warrior

Combative Gaian

Rayinte

Invisible Inquisitor

11,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:21 am
ROMVLVS
Yeah, I don't really read a lot of fantasy. I read a lot of sci fi, though, but the genre's are completely different.

I mean, I've read just about every discaorld books, and I read LotR when it came out, but other than that I haven't read anything.

Edit: Oh, and Harry Potter.

Well, I grew up on fantasy and science fiction, and to be honest, in many cases the only difference is that people get around in spaceships instead of horses. I like reading character-driven stories, where the people matter more than the setting. Codex Alera could have easily been presented as a "lost colony" instead of a "lost legion;" add a few gadgets, add a few references to ancients reaching Alera from the stars, furies could be explained as more psychic powers than semi-magical ones (hell, they work as psychic powers as-is, but often funneled through a degree of personification) ... and it's still the same core story, of humans on a hostile planet, struggling to survive not only the threats from the outside, but their own internal politics.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:06 am
Rayinte
ROMVLVS
Yeah, I don't really read a lot of fantasy. I read a lot of sci fi, though, but the genre's are completely different.

I mean, I've read just about every discaorld books, and I read LotR when it came out, but other than that I haven't read anything.

Edit: Oh, and Harry Potter.

Well, I grew up on fantasy and science fiction, and to be honest, in many cases the only difference is that people get around in spaceships instead of horses. I like reading character-driven stories, where the people matter more than the setting. Codex Alera could have easily been presented as a "lost colony" instead of a "lost legion;" add a few gadgets, add a few references to ancients reaching Alera from the stars, furies could be explained as more psychic powers than semi-magical ones (hell, they work as psychic powers as-is, but often funneled through a degree of personification) ... and it's still the same core story, of humans on a hostile planet, struggling to survive not only the threats from the outside, but their own internal politics.

I like the scifi gadgetry though. Like, a lot of authors are disliked because of 'info dumps' where they explain how things work, but I like that.

And then there's like military science fiction, which I like a lot. Giant space battles. I got sucked in to this REALLY cheesy series called Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell, and it's awesome. The characters are awful for the most part, but it's just fun. And the battles take days, but the action takes place in split seconds.

And then there's the opposite of that in these books by David Weber called In Death Ground and The Shiva Option. There it's pretty hardcore the way the military works. There are like, four races in an alliance and we come across this alien bug race that eats sentient beings. In the first book we get our asses kicked but start to turn it around at the end. Each book is like 800 pages.

And other than that I read a lot of hard sci fi like Clarke and Niven.

But I really don't like a whole lot of fantasy. Like, I absolutely hated Lord of the Rings when I read it. The movies are alright, but the books were boring.  

ROMVLVS
Crew

Elocutionist

9,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gaian 50

Rayinte

Invisible Inquisitor

11,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:16 am
The LOTR books are terrible. They're not stories so much as dry-as-the-sahara histories.

I've read some Weber, but he got boring after a certain point; I did really like his co-writing with John Ringo though.

Usually when I'm in a scifi mood, I tend to go after classics--I've read tons of Heinlein and one of these days, I'm going to read Asimov, I swear. :whee;  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:24 am
Well, I'm gonna read the final Eragon book whenever I get it on Christmas. My mom told me she bought it for me. Eragon: The reason I started drawing, reading, writing and generally doing things that make my life a lot better. Who knew a book could change someone's life for the better? A lot of people compare it to LotR, but I find it easier to read. I love big, complex descriptions and flowery language, but sometimes I just want to get to the action.

I love fantasy novels because I'm an escapist. My favorite is a combination of military, steampunk and fantasy (kinda obvious from my avatar). I've only found two series like that so far (The Looking Glass Wars and Leviathan series) and I LOVE THEM.

Also, I suggest reading "The Book of the City of Ladies". You can find it free online (since it's from the 1400s). I read excerpts of it for a college class and I ended up reading the entire thing. If you like reading about how women felt about being oppressed in this age, it's a good read. Its language isn't as heavy as most works of the time, because it is a philosophical dialogue and not a poem. Christine de Pizan was an amazing woman.  

Eudaemon

Unbeatable Visionary

10,550 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200

ROMVLVS
Crew

Elocutionist

9,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:36 am
Rayinte
The LOTR books are terrible. They're not stories so much as dry-as-the-sahara histories.

I've read some Weber, but he got boring after a certain point; I did really like his co-writing with John Ringo though.

Usually when I'm in a scifi mood, I tend to go after classics--I've read tons of Heinlein and one of these days, I'm going to read Asimov, I swear. :whee;

I've only read two books by Heinlen. I liked Starship Troopers, but the other one was terrible.

Also, you should read Foundation by Asimov. It's amazing.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:56 am
Right now? Vellum by Hal Duncan.

My all time favorite writer is Robin Hobb. I luv her books.  

Skaia Beltane

Tiny Wildcat

Menlusa

Sparkly Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:30 pm
Eudaemon
Well, I'm gonna read the final Eragon book whenever I get it on Christmas. My mom told me she bought it for me. Eragon: The reason I started drawing, reading, writing and generally doing things that make my life a lot better. Who knew a book could change someone's life for the better? A lot of people compare it to LotR, but I find it easier to read. I love big, complex descriptions and flowery language, but sometimes I just want to get to the action.

I love fantasy novels because I'm an escapist. My favorite is a combination of military, steampunk and fantasy (kinda obvious from my avatar). I've only found two series like that so far (The Looking Glass Wars and Leviathan series) and I LOVE THEM.

Also, I suggest reading "The Book of the City of Ladies". You can find it free online (since it's from the 1400s). I read excerpts of it for a college class and I ended up reading the entire thing. If you like reading about how women felt about being oppressed in this age, it's a good read. Its language isn't as heavy as most works of the time, because it is a philosophical dialogue and not a poem. Christine de Pizan was an amazing woman.

I read the first two Eragon books, but for some reason I stopped although I wish I hadn't. I'll probably reread them to dive back in at some point though.

Also I had a humanities class a semester or two ago and we talked about Pizan! I really wanted to get a hold of one of her books, and now I'm thinking it was the city of ladies. Does that one have a bunch of historical women talking about their lives/their lives being talked about? If so that is the book.

@Ping: Ooolala thankya, I'm gonna check those out.
@Illuminati: Hm, well maybe I really will check out the library to find out about it. Been meaning to for a while, heh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:45 pm
I haven't read in a while, but I do need to get back to reading Kiss of Darkness by Heather Graham.  

Magnificent Moonbeam

Angelic Lunatic

41,275 Points
  • Moonlight Valkyrie 500
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

Waking Buddha

8,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:04 pm
Read All Over
Waking Buddha
I want to read 'The Help' emotion_dowant I hope somebody gives it to me for Christmas.

Recently my friend told me she has the True Blood books so I've borrowed the first one. Haven't made it past page 2 though. /I need a good series. I haven't been reading lately.

I sometimes read Dean Koontz on a whim, since his books are always entertaining, but I find him kinda preachy lately. He also almost always has the exact same characters, and they all have the same sense of humor.

My aunt let me borrow her Dean Koontz Frankenstein. Have you read it/know if it's any good?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:07 pm
Waking Buddha
Read All Over
Waking Buddha

My aunt let me borrow her Dean Koontz Frankenstein. Have you read it/know if it's any good?

I remember that I liked the first one enough to read the second one, but it was quite awhile ago, I don't remember much about them XD

he is always fun to read though, he's a great writer.  

Read All Over

Bashful Bookworm

17,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bookworm 100

Waking Buddha

8,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:13 pm
Read All Over
Waking Buddha
Read All Over
Waking Buddha

I remember that I liked the first one enough to read the second one, but it was quite awhile ago, I don't remember much about them XD

he is always fun to read though, he's a great writer.

I liked what I read of it but something ( I think another book) demanded my attention.  
Come Back Mero <33

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff