Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Asatru a la Deoridhe Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:32 pm
PhantomPhoenix0
TeaDidikai
I actually know a handful of Asatru who take the creation myth quit literally. So much so that they deny evolution. I don't think Deo falls into that group though.

I would imagine that some take it literally, I was just interested in if it was a universal belief that the ground we stand on is literaly the remains of Ymir.
I know it isn't Universal. I can give counter examples.

I can't say if it is popular or not.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:44 am
What do you call the realm of emokids?

SNIFFLEHEIM.  

Triste-chan

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:12 pm
PhantomPhoenix0
TeaDidikai
I actually know a handful of Asatru who take the creation myth quit literally. So much so that they deny evolution. I don't think Deo falls into that group though.

I would imagine that some take it literally, I was just interested in if it was a universal belief that the ground we stand on is literaly the remains of Ymir.

The best assumption to make in regards to Asatru is that there are no universal beliefs. There's a universal agreement that the structure we're working from is Germanic and/or Norse, but that's about as far as it goes. I even know an atheist Asatruar, for what it's worth.

If you'd ask me, "Deo, do you believe that the creation myths happened" I'd say, "can we specify what kind of belief we're talking about here?" I view the creation as a myth, meaning it is a vast metaphor imbued with more meaning than the bold facts of creation allow for.

Personally, I find the idea that we are living on and in and sustained by the body of a great, dead, terrible giant to be philosophically and psychologically useful on a number of levels. I could unpack it for you if you'd really like, though some bits are personal and wouldn't be included.

Triste-chan
What do you call the realm of emokids?

SNIFFLEHEIM.

emo  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:09 pm
Deoridhe

Personally, I find the idea that we are living on and in and sustained by the body of a great, dead, terrible giant to be philosophically and psychologically useful on a number of levels. I could unpack it for you if you'd really like, though some bits are personal and wouldn't be included.
Yes please!  

TeaDidikai

aevalia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:52 pm
I was brought into the fold about 3 years ago, but have since moved away from my Kin. I've been apart from them for a year now and am in much need of someones help and teachings, since my priest and priestiess (to late for my to spell the terms out right now *laughs*) are very hard to get ahold of. If you could in anyway help me, please do, since you have been a part of this for much longer then I.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:41 pm
aevalia
I was brought into the fold about 3 years ago, but have since moved away from my Kin. I've been apart from them for a year now and am in much need of someones help and teachings, since my priest and priestiess (to late for my to spell the terms out right now *laughs*) are very hard to get ahold of. If you could in anyway help me, please do, since you have been a part of this for much longer then I.

Ummmm... without putting my nose where it doesn't belong- what help do you need?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:23 pm
aevalia

...ur, the very fact you have a single Priest and a single Priestess and you call them that leads me to doubt you're Asatru. In Asatru, male religious figures call themselves (or are called) Gothi, and female religious figures call themselves or are called Gythia.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:22 pm
Deoridhe
aevalia

...ur, the very fact you have a single Priest and a single Priestess and you call them that leads me to doubt you're Asatru. In Asatru, male religious figures call themselves (or are called) Gothi, and female religious figures call themselves or are called Gythia.
Really? My experience has always been with Godhi and Godjia.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:11 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Given the /dth/ sound and the pronunciaton of /j/ in many Norse tongues, I'm guessing it's different spellings of the same sounds.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:18 pm
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Given the /dth/ sound and the pronunciaton of /j/ in many Norse tongues, I'm guessing it's different spellings of the same sounds.
I understand.

~never claimed to be a linguist~  

TeaDidikai

VisasMarr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:45 am
Among the Norse and/or Germanic reconstructionalists or traditionalists there are other paths besides Asatru? Or are they all Asatru, just different "flavours" of Asatru? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. xp  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:36 am
There are other groups of Norse Recons.
At the very least there are the Vanatru.
And don't get me started on the monotheistic Thor Cult out of Cali.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:51 am
VisasMarr
Among the Norse and/or Germanic reconstructionalists or traditionalists there are other paths besides Asatru? Or are they all Asatru, just different "flavours" of Asatru? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. xp

Yes, lots. You can probably break it down into Norse, Germanic, Scandenavian, and various Combos. Asatru is a combo religion; Primary source and anthropological data used for it is drawn from Iceland, Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway, etc... Some is also used from Greenland, the Canadian Atlantic coast, and other places where settlements were established. In addition, the focus is on combination and modernization as an integral part of the reconstruction. As an Asatruar, I also use informaiton abut continuous native populations and religions in order to inform how to combine the modern era with a decidedly not-modern religion. In particular, I'm grateful to information about the Huichol for help in this.

The religions also break down along current-nationality lines. I'm an East Coast USian and Asatru is different both in different sides of the oceans and on different sides of the continent.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:13 am
Deoridhe

The religions also break down along current-nationality lines. I'm an East Coast USian and Asatru is different both in different sides of the oceans and on different sides of the continent.
Have you noticed a difference between the Canadain and USian Asatru on the east coast?  

TeaDidikai

PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces