Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Just a question... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:59 am
Longbow UK
stringedmessenger

p.s. you can be whatever you want to be and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise..

So what if I was to wake up one day and say "I feel a bit French today... I think i'll go tell everyone that I am." despite the fact that I was born on this island, as were all of my relatives. (Ones that I know of)

Would that be okay? wink

The next day I may wake up and decide i'm Saxon. rolleyes See what i'm saying? ...At the end of the day, you are what you are whether you like it or not. If you're born on this island then you are British.

Have to admit, it would appear you have missed the point I was making...~shrug~ Like I said before, we will simply have to agree to disagree.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:18 am
illyrianth
Longbow UK
stringedmessenger

p.s. you can be whatever you want to be and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise..

So what if I was to wake up one day and say "I feel a bit French today... I think i'll go tell everyone that I am." despite the fact that I was born on this island, as were all of my relatives. (Ones that I know of)

Would that be okay? wink

The next day I may wake up and decide i'm Saxon. rolleyes See what i'm saying? ...At the end of the day, you are what you are whether you like it or not. If you're born on this island then you are British.

Have to admit, it would appear you have missed the point I was making...~shrug~ Like I said before, we will simply have to agree to disagree.

Fair enough...

If the Scottish want to dwell in the 13th century and refuse to accept the fact that they lost, then that's fine. They can go on pretending to be in "happy land" denying their birthplace if they wish. rolleyes

Khorkalba

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:34 am
An old uni flatmate of mine was Cornish and I ended up having to write a little message on the inside of this door reminding him that he was entering England open leaving.

But really, I think it is the idea that "being British" is effectively "being English" that the Celtic neighbours do not like.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:50 am
A Lost Iguana
An old uni flatmate of mine was Cornish and I ended up having to write a little message on the inside of this door reminding him that he was entering England open leaving.

But really, I think it is the idea that "being British" is effectively "being English" that the Celtic neighbours do not like.

But the definition of a 'British' person is someone who was born on this island. Saying you aren't British isn't saying you aren't English, it's saying you weren't born on this island full stop.  

Khorkalba

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:05 am
Longbow UK
But the definition of a 'British' person is someone who was born on this island. Saying you aren't British isn't saying you aren't English, it's saying you weren't born on this island full stop.

Technically, yes; but the perception is that "Britishness" is "Englishness" and the Celts want nothing to do with it.

They are British by birth, yet they would prefer to be regarded as Scottish, Welsh, Cornish et cetera than British because they regard being "British" as being English.

People are not always logical thinkers: the heart rules over the brain in most cases.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:24 am
A Lost Iguana
Longbow UK

Technically, yes; but the perception is that "Britishness" is "Englishness" and the Celts want nothing to do with it.

They are British by birth, yet they would prefer to be regarded as Scottish, Welsh, Cornish et cetera than British because they regard being "British" as being English.

People are not always logical thinkers: the heart rules over the brain in most cases.

But isn't that a bit like me saying, "I'm not European because I don't like the French and their Frenchness". sweatdrop

Yes, they may be Scottish or Welsh, but they are also British. You cannot be Scottish, and at the same time not be British. Just as you cannot be Californian but not American.

Whether they don't "feel" British or not, they still are. Some people don't "feel" human... that doesn't mean they aren't. rolleyes

You cannot be born on the island known as Great Britain and not be British. It's impossible. Unless they really don't know what bloody century they're in, and refuse to believe people when they say this island is called Great Britain. Hence the reason I think some of these Celts still think their in the bloody 13th century fighting for independence. rolleyes They lost. There are English-built castles in places like Wales that prove that.

Khorkalba

Zoutout

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:52 am
They can call themselves whatever they want, but that doesn't change who or what someone is.

A Welshman can refer to himself as Welsh, never British, and even get angry if someone claims he's British. It doesn't change the fact that he is, though.
Mind over matter doesn't always work.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:02 pm
Longbow UK
Fair enough...
If the Scottish want to dwell in the 13th century and refuse to accept the fact that they lost, then that's fine. They can go on pretending to be in "happy land" denying their birthplace if they wish.

I think I said agree to disagree?  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:36 am
I'm not of British descent actually, I feel so fake. I'm Irish but my parents were both born in England and so was I, so I identify as English. I don't think I'd change anything, it hasn't ever really crossed my mind.

As for not wanting to be associated with being English via being British, I can understand that. 'British' is almost synonymous with 'English' in many people's estimations; it isn't strictly correct, but it's the case. Some people identify more with being Cornish or Welsh or Scottish than with being British, as a big group of different nationalities, and some people just don't like the thought of being associated with England. For every reason you've ever heard someone give for hating Americans, there's an equally [in]valid reason for hating the English.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:59 pm
I would either be Irish or Italian... or Japanese!  

The Norm-al

TheLoneBassist46

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:57 pm
The Norm-al
I would either be Irish or Italian... or Japanese!

Japanese... good choice!

Now I wanted to be Japanese, but I think I changed my mind. (Besides, for me to say that I wanted to be Japanese when I was already 50% japanese made no sense whatsoever... but who's really going to penalize me for that one... Oh crap, I should just shut my mouth about that... sweatdrop but anyways...) I would probably be Chinese or quite possibly Norweigen (I'm not too sure on my spelling...) Maybe Greek..? IDK.... XD  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:57 pm
Irish
Greek
Russian

um...any of these but if not would love to be Japanese (they get all the good anime and video games first)  

50ny4

Bono Vox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:18 pm
Scottish is British!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:42 am
possibly Australian...

but I wouldn't be Japanese, somebody with as lazy as I would have topped herself a long time ago... sad  

alicelights

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:14 am
Im Italin/Greek. I have lived in London most of my life though, and would consider myself British even though I am not by blood.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff