Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]
Astronomy Class (CLOSED!!) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you be taking Astronomy this Term?
Yes!
90%
 90%  [ 9 ]
No...
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:47 am
Slappy Silk continues her work as she giggles to the current conversation  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:06 pm
"I'm fine Professor." Crystal giggles. "Ganymede must have been a heck of a looker, if he's thought to have been kidnapped by either Eos or Zeus. I've also been thinking, Greek and Roman deities are often compared to each other because of similarities, but the Egyptian deities are also similar, aren't they?"  

Insatiable Design

DownAzzLette

12,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:18 pm
Smirks slightly. Sorry Professor. To be back on topic did Perseus know that Zeus was his father?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:44 am
"Okay, if you say so. Ganymede was very good looking Crystal. For the etymology of his name, Robert Graves' The Greek Myths offers ganyesthai + medea, "rejoicing in virility". The word "catamite" (boy or youth kept by a man for sexual purposes) is derived from Ganymede. Which is saying something!
Yes, the Greeks and the Romans are often compared but Egyptian, Indian, and other cultures all have very similar deities."

"To my knowledge, he knew that Tros and Callirrhoe were his parents."

6,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

The Queen Lana

Dapper Grabber

8,350 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:10 pm
User Image

Lana put her hand up, 'Professor, wasn't Persuas also the name for Herkulas flying horse?.'  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:33 am
"No Lana. Your thinking of Pegasus."

6,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

6,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 am
"Lesson Two has been posted for each Astronomy level.
We have a new Extraordinary Student of the Week.
Also, remember to look at the announcements!"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:04 am
um professor didnt the native americans have lots of stories about fish granting wisdom do you think they ever thought of the stars representing that?
also are we going to do any of the other zodiac signs? im an aries i want to do that one too

techpriest35
Crew

Dangerous Mage

13,790 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150

6,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:32 pm
"Yes James. Native Americans have stories about fish granting wisdom. There is one story in-particular that means we can't have peace in this world without having peace within ourselves first. That we put out into the world what we are feeling not just saying.
I, personally, think they did look to the stars for some representation. There are many stories about the constellations from a Native American point of view.
Yes, we will be learning more Zodiac Signs. However, you already learned about Aries last term. However if you want to go back and re-read that Lesson, feel free to."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:54 pm
Slappy Silk reads on her lesson and has a question for the professor, she raises her hand and asks,"Professor isn't another reason Aries is a Ram is because the brightest star Hamal is also known as the head of the sheep?"  

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

6,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:04 pm
"I think that's probably a bit backwards. It's known as the Head of the Sheep because Aries is known as a Ram."

*Swishes wand and new words appear on the blackboard.*

"Other names for this star are Hemal, Hamul, Ras Hammel, or El Nath (obsolete).
In Arabic Aries, the Ram, is known as Al Hamal, the Sheep. The name of the star reflects the Arabic name of the constellation. The alternative name of the star, Ras Hammel, derives from the Arabic name Al Ras al Hamal, "The Head of the Sheep."

The name El Nath invites confusion with Beta Tauri, generally known as Elnath. This name derives from the Arabic name Al Natih, "The Butting One."

Hamal is Alpha Arietis, that is, the alpha star of Aries. It is therefore sometimes referred to simply as "Arietis." "

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:44 pm
User Image

Lana who had just finished her notes, raised her hand, 'Professor, exactly why is the Southern fish seen as a sign in a deluge, is it because it will drink up all the water?'  

The Queen Lana

Dapper Grabber

8,350 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50

6,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:14 pm
"Yes. Once seen, the people believed that they would be saved."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:14 pm
Slappy Silk listen to her professor's lecture and replies,"Oh professor i understand the star it is called the head of the sheep because Aries itself is the ram that makes more since...where i read that must have been backwards like you mentioned sweatdrop ,Salppy continues her work to study more of the stars  

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

Insatiable Design

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:14 pm
Crystal finishes reading the new lesson and takes out a quill to start on her homework.  
Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff