Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
I need your ideas please Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which religion do you think I should go for?
  Ancient Druidism
  Roman Paganism
  Greek Paganism
  Other (please tell me!)
View Results

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:27 pm
TeaDidikai
Good gods.... elders? ~shudders~ Boy do I feel old.
Not knowing the actual age of anyone in this guild, I was going more for spiritual and guild elders, in terms of tenure. razz  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:16 am
Deoridhe

I'd like to note, just as a general note, Tea/Nuri/Reagun/I also do this to each other. Tea regularly devil advocates me, to my benefit. I can link to a recent time when Reagun called me on something and I had to defend my claims.

No person (I've ever know) ever hits a point where they don't need to be challenged. The best point to reach, as far as I'm concerned, is when being challenged is seen as a chance to clarify and refine, not as an attack against one' legitimancy.

That attitude is the one we try to foster in this guild.
Indeed.

Scholarship and Critical Thinking are important to us. They are two of the best tools I can think of to combat ignorance and as willful ignorance is at the heart of what a Fluffy is, they are amongst the weapons of choice for the members of this guild.  

TeaDidikai

Pelta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:37 am
TeaDidikai
Scholarship and Critical Thinking are important to us. They are two of the best tools I can think of to combat ignorance and as willful ignorance is at the heart of what a Fluffy is, they are amongst the weapons of choice for the members of this guild.
A firm grasp on reality also helps - to combat the other half of the Fluffy definition. Life aint all just pretty sparkles.
Just as a side note: I'm very thankful this guild does have such scholarly thinking people. Being challenged and even just reading some of your posts has been very insightful. Not to mention useful to learn the skills of debate. Up until four days ago I didn't know there were such intelligent people online (based on past experience on boards.ie). I'm glad you guys are so good at what you do.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:56 am
missmagpie
A firm grasp on reality also helps - to combat the other half of the Fluffy definition. Life aint all just pretty sparkles.
Just as a side note: I'm very thankful this guild does have such scholarly thinking people. Being challenged and even just reading some of your posts has been very insightful. Not to mention useful to learn the skills of debate. Up until four days ago I didn't know there were such intelligent people online (based on past experience on boards.ie). I'm glad you guys are so good at what you do.
Very true. But to be fair- it's not just online. I mean, walk into your local Barns and Noble Book Sellers and take a look at the pagan section.

After all, the ignorance in the pagan scene as a whole is what causes threads like this one to exist!  

TeaDidikai

Pelta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:15 am
TeaDidikai
But to be fair- it's not just online. I mean, walk into your local Barns and Noble Book Sellers and take a look at the pagan section.

After all, the ignorance in the pagan scene as a whole is what causes threads like this one to exist!

True. Ireland doesn't have Barns and Noble, but what we have is pretty pathetic when it comes to the pagan section. They put it all under either 'Mind, Body and Spirit,' or 'Astrology.' There's only one chain bookstore in Dublin that I know of that has a section labeled 'Occult'. And it's a shelf about a foot long. And doesn't have anything interesting aside from the Farrars' A Witch's Bible. Just looking at a 'Mind, Body and Spirit' bookshelf is depressing. We have some pretty good occult bookshops, but even they need to keep the fluffy stuff in stock to make a living. And it's what sells. That's probably why there's so much of it.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:19 am
missmagpie

True. Ireland doesn't have Barns and Noble, but what we have is pretty pathetic when it comes to the pagan section. They put it all under either 'Mind, Body and Spirit,' or 'Astrology.' There's only one chain bookstore in Dublin that I know of that has a section labeled 'Occult'. And it's a shelf about a foot long. And doesn't have anything interesting aside from the Farrars' A Witch's Bible. Just looking at a 'Mind, Body and Spirit' bookshelf is depressing. We have some pretty good occult bookshops, but even they need to keep the fluffy stuff in stock to make a living. And it's what sells. That's probably why there's so much of it.
Why is that? Why does fluffy Sell?  

TeaDidikai

Pelta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:38 am
TeaDidikai

To be honest, I just don't know. It's some strange incomprehensible epidemic. I think perhaps because it makes things easier. It leaves out all the parts about sacrifice, suffering, all that hard nasty stuff that young girls just interested in casting love spells don't want to hear. That's their target audience anyway, most of whom are only interested in magic because they saw it on TV and thought it looked cool. I suppose fluffy is 'the quick fix.' It's the easiest thing to do and access, and it involves no actual work or thought. Thus perfectly suited to the uneducated masses...  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:58 am
missmagpie
TeaDidikai

To be honest, I just don't know. It's some strange incomprehensible epidemic. I think perhaps because it makes things easier. It leaves out all the parts about sacrifice, suffering, all that hard nasty stuff that young girls just interested in casting love spells don't want to hear. That's their target audience anyway, most of whom are only interested in magic because they saw it on TV and thought it looked cool. I suppose fluffy is 'the quick fix.' It's the easiest thing to do and access, and it involves no actual work or thought. Thus perfectly suited to the uneducated masses...

Simple Psychological answer:

Peopel are intrinsically lzay. We don't like to think. THinking is work. We're lazy. Some of us force ourselves to develop critical thinking and to use it. Alas, that's not a common trait.

To paraphrase CS Lewis (am i allowed to do that?) :

In the past people accpeted that they were ignorant, and looked to a few select seers to guide them with wisdom.

Now, everyone thinks he/she is a *seer*, and acts as though they need no guidance. Whether we can make this work remains to be seen.

Personally i think Lewis was a tad optomistic. confused  

Operation Shoestring

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:29 am
TeaDidikai
missmagpie

you mentioned an idea on that; sparkles and pretties. romaniticism is still rampant in society. for gods' sakes, the romance section is bigger than the new age section, even in barnes and noble!

(EDIT): may even rival the history section, xp  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:42 am
Magpie, there's yellow brick road to be fair.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Pelta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:34 am
reagun ban
Magpie, there's yellow brick road to be fair.

Indeed. And I've gotten most of my stuff there (and ooooh all the pretty stones!) but what I said was:
Quote:
We have some pretty good occult bookshops, but even they need to keep the fluffy stuff in stock to make a living.
And it's true. They're an excellent occult book store, but they do keep the fluffy stuff in stock. To their credit I've yet to see a SilverRavenWolf book in there, but they do sell a lot of Buckland and Cunningham, which have been labelled as fluffy elsewhere in this forum. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the YBR. Before I got sick I went in absolutely every Wednesday without fail, and often spent a lot of time in there on Saturdays. Me likes the stones... I used to know everyone in there personally by name and phone number before they all got fired or quit. Things have gone a bit downhill since then *sigh*  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:08 pm
It makes me wonder- what legal steps could be taken to stem the tide of such things. I mean, freedom of speech is a great thing in the USA, but there are limits to it.

I wonder if a Law Suit brought by Wiccans against SWR could actually change things.  

TeaDidikai

Operation Shoestring

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:52 pm
TeaDidikai
It makes me wonder- what legal steps could be taken to stem the tide of such things. I mean, freedom of speech is a great thing in the USA, but there are limits to it.

I wonder if a Law Suit brought by Wiccans against SWR could actually change things.

Yeah, i once commented that when i had time, i'd sure SRW for defamation of Gerald gardener.

I mean, s**t, some italian guy is suing the RCC for misrepresenting Jesus, so it;s not much of a stretch  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:57 pm
AyanamiRei

Yeah, i once commented that when i had time, i'd sure SRW for defamation of Gerald gardener.

I mean, s**t, some italian guy is suing the RCC for misrepresenting Jesus, so it;s not much of a stretch
If either she broke her oath, they could sue for breech of contract. If she is faking her lineage, then she is a fraud... it's win win.  

TeaDidikai

ArwenEvenstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:50 pm
Buddhism  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items