Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Broom Closet Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-kissME-1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:57 pm
I just want a big cloak/robe for outdoor rituals because I live in Canada and winter rituals can get really cold if not done around a blazing bonfire. I guess my reasons for having some magickal equipment are somtimes more common sense reasons then magickal reasons.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:34 pm
I don't use ritual clothing. Well, I did when I studied Ritual and Ceremonial magic but I gave that up a while ago. The dress still hangs in my wardrobe... It was a really nice one too. Unfortunately I'm loath to wear it now just in case my interest in ritual magic rekindles and I'm stuck with a sullied dress. Anyway that's slightly off-topic.
I 'came out of the broom closet' the day before my eighteenth birthday. I had been studying for roughly six years at that point. It had been pretty bloody obvious, too (crystal formations on my dresser kinda gave it away, as well the explosion of size in my stone collection). So in the end telling my parents was more of a formality or courtesy than anything else. They knew already, and it was just easier to tell them than to keep it secret. My brother's reaction was hilarious though. I still can't believe he was actually surprised! But then again, he's never been very observant... Anyway, I suppose I may be lucky that I have a rather liberal family (parents are athiest and my brother's an agnostic skeptic) so I suppose things would be different for people who come from very religious backgrounds.
It would also be great of cloaks came back into fashion. I've always wanted an excuse to wear one xp .  

Pelta

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:47 am
It brings an interesting question to mind- What if you never were in the closet, any more than your average Catholic is in the closet?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:13 am
TeaDidikai
It brings an interesting question to mind- What if you never were in the closet, any more than your average Catholic is in the closet?
Then you're likely to not have some kind of neurosis derived from being in a closet.  

Tsuzuki

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:05 pm
Tsuzuki
TeaDidikai
Then you're likely to not have some kind of neurosis derived from being in a closet.
Fair enough  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:33 pm
I'm not "in the broom closet", nor do I feel the need to be. If people ask me what I believe or what I study, I'll tell them, depending on how I know the person. An acquiantance will get a simple "I study a recon. path", whereas a friend will get a more detailed explanation, should they wish to know. (Of course, most people don't ask me what I study/believe, and that includes my friends. Only a few of them know where I stand, spiritually.)

However, I will not wear a pentacle (as the symbol honestly means nothing to me at the moment), nor will I wear a t-shirt saying "Loki/Frigga/Odin/The Gods made me do it". If anything, I will wear a small Thor's Hammer pendant, underneath my t-shirts, close to my heart, as a symbol of my dedication.

I really see no need at all for people to hide their faith, or shout it for the world to hear. Both are extreme, and both honestly rub me the wrong way.  

queertastrophy

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:43 pm
BlueRoseTorn
I really see no need at all for people to hide their faith, or shout it for the world to hear. Both are extreme, and both honestly rub me the wrong way.

Well, the former can be for protection. The cops arriving to the scene late doesn't prevent assult, it just punishes the people who did it.

The latter helps establish identity as a person grows, and it allows individuals with common interests to get together.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:52 pm
TeaDidikai
BlueRoseTorn

Well, the former can be for protection. The cops arriving to the scene late doesn't prevent assult, it just punishes the people who did it.

The latter helps establish identity as a person grows, and it allows individuals with common interests to get together.

True on both counts. However, the latter also comes across as wanting attention, at least to me. That's my main problem with it. In most cases I've witnessed of people coming "out of the broom closet," it was done in a tasteless, tacky manner, and when people labeled it as such, they called "persecution."

If people want to really bond with other people on this subject, they can always seek out a group in their area over the Internet to meet with, instead of wearing a pentacle the size of a hubcap to school and hoping they'll bump into somebody who shares their faith, all the while annoying everybody else by acting attention starved. The lack of tact is my main problem.  

queertastrophy

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:21 pm
BlueRoseTorn

True on both counts. However, the latter also comes across as wanting attention, at least to me. That's my main problem with it. In most cases I've witnessed of people coming "out of the broom closet," it was done in a tasteless, tacky manner, and when people labeled it as such, they called "persecution."
Ummm... that makes it invalid how?

You say that like wanting attention is a bad thing. There are very valid reasons people are dramatic, especially when establishing an aspect of personal identity.

Quote:
If people want to really bond with other people on this subject, they can always seek out a group in their area over the Internet to meet with,
I did the "Meet Up" group online thing. Never again. I have never seen such disgusting... heh, anyway- yes, one experience is enough to make me not want to do it again. However, if you are going to meet people in the real world, how would you suggest going about it? To be honest, a ten inch pent is better than a "Hi, I'm a Pagan" tattoo on the forehead- if only because you can remove it later when it is no longer needed.

Quote:
instead of wearing a pentacle the size of a hubcap to school and hoping they'll bump into somebody who shares their faith, all the while annoying everybody else by acting attention starved. The lack of tact is my main problem.
I wouldn't say tact as much as subtlety. Unless they are belching the word Pagan, I can't say for sure that Tact is the issue.

Is it right for you? No. Is it wrong for them? No.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:30 pm
TeaDidikai
BlueRoseTorn

Ummm... that makes it invalid how?

You say that like wanting attention is a bad thing. There are very valid reasons people are dramatic, especially when establishing an aspect of personal identity.

I suppose. I've just never been a fan of it. I don't think it makes it invalid, it just seems, to me, that big, dramatic "coming out" takes away some credibility. (I know I'm not wording this correctly--I'm running short on time. If I think of a better way to get that out I'll repost. sweatdrop )

Quote:
Quote:
If people want to really bond with other people on this subject, they can always seek out a group in their area over the Internet to meet with,
I did the "Meet Up" group online thing. Never again. I have never seen such disgusting... heh, anyway- yes, one experience is enough to make me not want to do it again. However, if you are going to meet people in the real world, how would you suggest going about it? To be honest, a ten inch pent is better than a "Hi, I'm a Pagan" tattoo on the forehead- if only because you can remove it later when it is no longer needed.

Point taken. I've never looked at it like that.

Quote:
Quote:
instead of wearing a pentacle the size of a hubcap to school and hoping they'll bump into somebody who shares their faith, all the while annoying everybody else by acting attention starved. The lack of tact is my main problem.
I wouldn't say tact as much as subtlety. Unless they are belching the word Pagan, I can't say for sure that Tact is the issue.

Is it right for you? No. Is it wrong for them? No.

Hmm...perhaps subtlety is the better word.

I'm used to looking at things from only one side, sorry if I offended in any way. I'm working on this. sweatdrop  

queertastrophy

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:42 pm
BlueRoseTorn
I suppose. I've just never been a fan of it. I don't think it makes it invalid, it just seems, to me, that big, dramatic "coming out" takes away some credibility. (I know I'm not wording this correctly--I'm running short on time. If I think of a better way to get that out I'll repost. sweatdrop )
Why do you think it makes it less credible? Does walking in commencement make graduating less creditable?

Quote:
I'm used to looking at things from only one side, sorry if I offended in any way. I'm working on this. sweatdrop
No offence at all. wink My honest opinion? I have a personal distaste for it as well, mostly because I don't have time, energy or desire to help them grow out of that phase beyond what I do here on Gaia. But to challenge one to think outside of their base opinion is a good thing now and then.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:19 pm
TeaDidikai
BlueRoseTorn
Why do you think it makes it less credible? Does walking in commencement make graduating less creditable?

It just...(damn, this is hard to put into words sweatdrop ) seems to take away from the sanctity of it. Faith and the path you choose is something you base your life around--it helps you grow in so many ways. And when I see people flaunting it for the world to see like it was a piece of jewelry instead of a sacred, private thing, it gives me the impression that they're not taking it all that seriously, you know?

(I think that's as good as it's going to get with me putting it into words properly, even though I still don't think it hits the nail on the head.)

Quote:
Quote:
No offence at all. wink My honest opinion? I have a personal distaste for it as well, mostly because I don't have time, energy or desire to help them grow out of that phase beyond what I do here on Gaia. But to challenge one to think outside of their base opinion is a good thing now and then.

That makes me feel a bit better--I honestly thought you were miffed at me. gonk Hard to tell "think outside your box" from scolding over the 'Net, and all. sweatdrop  

queertastrophy

Pelta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:48 pm
TeaDidikai
I think if you really need to meet people you will, if only because you'll try harder to meet the right kind of people. For example, I frequent an occult book shop called the Yellow Brick Road. A very kind Wiccan used to work there who helped to steer me in the right direction. I owe a lot to him. I probably wouldn't be here now if it hadn't been for him. He suggested that I go to An Fainne. From there I met a lot of Pagans I can discuss things with, including Reagun and my current boyfriend. I also discovered along the way that several of my friends that I've known for years are pagan, one of whom practises Reiki. I've never in my life worn a pent or shouted my path from the rooftops, but through just being who I am I made several friends in many pagan paths. And they're friends who like me because I'm me, not because I wear a pent. Personally I think the more attention-grabbing method attracts all the wrong sort of people.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:51 pm
BlueRoseTorn
It just...(damn, this is hard to put into words sweatdrop ) seems to take away from the sanctity of it. Faith and the path you choose is something you base your life around--it helps you grow in so many ways. And when I see people flaunting it for the world to see like it was a piece of jewelry instead of a sacred, private thing, it gives me the impression that they're not taking it all that seriously, you know?

(I think that's as good as it's going to get with me putting it into words properly, even though I still don't think it hits the nail on the head.)

Do not cast your pearls before swine? Yes?

However, a pent is no such pearl. It is but the shell the pearl is in. Follow?
And note my reply to follow to Maggie.

Quote:
That makes me feel a bit better--I honestly thought you were miffed at me. gonk Hard to tell "think outside your box" from scolding over the 'Net, and all. sweatdrop
My "I'm Pissed Off At You" involves a PM telling you how you ******** up, what you can do to make it better, and usually a demand for an apology. Anything short of that is friendly/heated debate- and a good time to be had by all.

missmagpie
I think if you really need to meet people you will, if only because you'll try harder to meet the right kind of people. For example, I frequent an occult book shop called the Yellow Brick Road. A very kind Wiccan used to work there who helped to steer me in the right direction. I owe a lot to him. I probably wouldn't be here now if it hadn't been for him. He suggested that I go to An Fainne. From there I met a lot of Pagans I can discuss things with, including Reagun and my current boyfriend. I also discovered along the way that several of my friends that I've known for years are pagan, one of whom practises Reiki. I've never in my life worn a pent or shouted my path from the rooftops, but through just being who I am I made several friends in many pagan paths. And they're friends who like me because I'm me, not because I wear a pent. Personally I think the more attention-grabbing method attracts all the wrong sort of people.

You had an advantage though- you had a place you could go where you knew other pagans would be.

In essence- The Yellow Brick Road was your ten inch pent.

By the way- you almost made my head implode. I read that line about you meeting your SO and Reagun as Reagun was your SO. stare  

TeaDidikai

Pelta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:00 pm
TeaDidikai
You had an advantage though- you had a place you could go where you knew other pagans would be.
True, but most major cities have occult shops these days too. And if you don't know where they are there's Witchvox to find them. Witchvox is also helpful for finding pagan discussion groups in your area.

Quote:
In essence- The Yellow Brick Road was your ten inch pent.
Perhaps, but they also sell beads there. I could have just been some other ordinary jewelry-making-person... who was buying books on the occult... ninja . But the difference between going to the YBR and screaming my faith out in the hallways at school is that I was going to the YBR for my own development and education - to buy books and stones. The fact that I met people there was an added bonus. It wasn't quite on par with wearing a hubcap to get attention.

Quote:
By the way- you almost made my head implode. I read that line about you meeting your SO and Reagun as Reagun was your SO. stare
rofl lol rofl Oh no! Oh NONONONONO! No no that wouldn't be good. Sorry reagun, love, but it would just never work. For rather obvious reasons. xp  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff