Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Death Penality and Pagans Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:34 pm
Fiddlers Green
Celeblin Galadeneryn
I believe prison is both, however, I also believe not all people deserve a chance to reform.

What determines whether a person deserves a chance to reform?
What they did.

If you'd like an example, you rape a child, I don't care how sorry you are or how much counselling you went through, you are irredeemable in my eyes.

I don't think it's innate. It's entirely choice based, it's just that some choices sully you forever.  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:29 am
Brass Bell Doll
CuAnnan
Musical_Vampire_Socks
I think it helps deter people

I really think the statistics contradict this.

Link
The above link has statistics for the United States on the matter.

Thanks, that link supports my position.
Even with the way the simple charts massively sway the statistic pools, as can be seen by clicking on the year.
Without taking into account standard deviations, the averages presented give you a false perception.

DC, for example, has the highest murder rate in , even though it's a non-death penalty state.
However, it's at 73%, bringing the average for the year up massively.
There isn't a single other state, that year, with a murder rate of 8% or higher with the vast majority being below 5%
The same is simply not true of those with the death penalty.

The statistics simply disagree with the assertion that it is a detterant.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:02 am
I edited that badly, BBD.
It looks like I'm thanking you and then disagreeing with you.
I'm thanking you and then addressing Musical Vampire Socks.
Just to clear the air.  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:37 am
I read it as intended, and please, call me Brass.  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:02 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Fiddlers Green
Celeblin Galadeneryn
I believe prison is both, however, I also believe not all people deserve a chance to reform.

What they did.

If you'd like an example, you rape a child, I don't care how sorry you are or how much counselling you went through, you are irredeemable in my eyes.

I don't think it's innate. It's entirely choice based, it's just that some choices sully you forever.

And you get to decide what those choices are?
Your personal preference dictates when an action is unforgivable, and the person who took it irredeemable?  
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:08 pm
Brass Bell Doll

They call me either Cu or Wing here.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:42 pm
CuAnnan
Brass Bell Doll

Do you have a preference between the two?  
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:24 pm
Brass Bell Doll
CuAnnan
Brass Bell Doll

Do you have a preference between the two?

Wing is my real name.
Cu is good though, and it's shorter and (therefore) easier to type. And I'm lazy, so I have no problem with people being energy efficient.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:26 pm
Fiddlers Green
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Fiddlers Green
Celeblin Galadeneryn

What they did.

And you get to decide what those choices are?
Where did I say that?

I've already said I don't feel comfortable with giving the government that power, I'm hardly giving it to myself. There's literally one person I would ever actually want to use this on, and I would never be satisfied unless I strangled them to death with my own hands, and the reason why this waste of human skin is irredeemable to me is because I've witnessed his evil.

This doesn't mean I'm going to go out and kill him, this means I'm going to continue to think a slow painful death would be the best thing for him, and also it means I'm going to take great, great pains to never be in the same room as my mother's biological brother, because my composure will be non existant, nevermind my thoughts being logical.

Quote:
Your personal preference dictates when an action is unforgivable, and the person who took it irredeemable?
For me to feel that person is irredeemable? Absolutely. I just recognise that given my biases I'm not going to be able to pass any sort of logical judgement on that person, which renders me inable to be a proper judge.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:49 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Fiddlers Green

For me to feel that person is irredeemable? Absolutely. I just recognise that given my biases I'm not going to be able to pass any sort of logical judgement on that person, which renders me inable to be a proper judge.
. . . I . . . hesitate . . . to say this . . . but . . . I feel moved to, so please, don't take offense.

I feel that this is part of the reasoning Jesus had for saying "Judge not, lest ye be Judged."  

Gho the Girl

Aislin Artiers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:35 pm
I am on the fence on the issue, and have reasons for both supporting and opposing the death penalty.

Reasons for Opposing:
1. The system is much too flawed for my liking.
2. We as humans do not have the right to decide who lives or dies, particularly among our contemporaries.
3. I clicked the statics website, and the findings were quite the contrary to what I'd expect.

Reasons for Supporting:
1. Security. There is always chances of escape or worse, paroll within the prison system.
2. Money. Why should Americans provide convicted criminals with three square meals a day, warmth, and lodging all with tax payer money?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:04 pm
Gho the Girl
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Fiddlers Green

. . . I . . . hesitate . . . to say this . . . but . . . I feel moved to, so please, don't take offense.

I feel that this is part of the reasoning Jesus had for saying "Judge not, lest ye be Judged."

I feel you may be taking this passage out of context.

When we read the passage in full, do you have reason to believe based on what Celeblin Galadeneryn has written that she is guilty of the same crimes and is unwilling to accept the consequences she would extend to the person she has an issue with?  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:47 am
Brass Bell Doll
Gho the Girl
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Fiddlers Green

I feel you may be taking this passage out of context.

When we read the passage in full, do you have reason to believe based on what Celeblin Galadeneryn has written that she is guilty of the same crimes and is unwilling to accept the consequences she would extend to the person she has an issue with?
No.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:33 am
Gho the Girl
No.

I guess I am confused. Could you explain what you intended the passage to mean?  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:10 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Where did I say that?

It was a question. However, with my follow-up, it would seem otherwise.
Apologies for that.
However, what method would you create that determines whether an action is (objectively) unforgivable?

Quote:
I've already said I don't feel comfortable with giving the government that power, I'm hardly giving it to myself. There's literally one person I would ever actually want to use this on, and I would never be satisfied unless I strangled them to death with my own hands, and the reason why this waste of human skin is irredeemable to me is because I've witnessed his evil.

This doesn't mean I'm going to go out and kill him, this means I'm going to continue to think a slow painful death would be the best thing for him, and also it means I'm going to take great, great pains to never be in the same room as my mother's biological brother, because my composure will be non existant, nevermind my thoughts being logical.

To me, this is important.
I see a lack of trust in a government to make this decision, and I think you do not wish that burden on yourself, so what agency may make this decision?
Also, what is Evil as you perceive it?
I do understand this is leading and prying, if you wish, I will drop this line with no further fanfare.

Quote:

Should judgement be logical?
What constitutes proper judgement in your opinion?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff