Submit

Have you read them?
  Yes.
  No.
  Never heard of them.
View Results

Avi_Veneficus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:21 am
I love this trilogy as well as the maniacal demon named Bartimaeus. A funny and witty story that is given a 5 star rating by yours truly Mr. Avinash.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:22 pm
This trilogy, by far, is one of my personal favorites. Honestly, I love it to death. All of the characters rock, but my favorite is Bartimaeus, by far. In fact, he's one of my favorite characters in any book, period. This trilogy gets the highest of compliments from me, as well as props to Mr. Stroud for giving Bartimaeus a happy ending.

Note to those considering reading this trilogy:

If you do not like footnotes, your opinions are about to be changed.

If you HATE footnotes, put this book down. Now.

If you read this book without reading the footnotes, you are not reading this book.

There is probably something with half a dozen tentacles and a monkey face right behind you. Right now.  

The Vorpal Tom

murphyad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:49 pm
I think that these books are an interesting take on magic and is really well written i think that it is witty and makes the readerr question good and bad and if people do really change  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:48 pm
I love this series!!! I cried my eyes out on the last book though, like literally bawled. Haha I love it tho. It is defiantly by far on my favorites list. I like everyone in these books ^.^ Its just so magical, and you find your self laughing continuously.  

Lady Amica

MinervaEvenstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:29 pm
The trilogy is great! biggrin Bartimaeus' sarcasm and arrogance kept me laughing nearly the entire way through. It was certainly original for Stroud to give the magicians no power of their own. I admired how the hero, Nathaniel, wasn't even close to being perfectly selfless and noble. The first book is the one I enjoyed most, however, in the third when we finally met Ptolemy through the the flashback scenes I was greatly interested, for his idealism was incredible. Stroud's other book, Buried Fire, isn't even half as good, so don't bother with it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:07 am
I LOVED reading those books!! Bartimaues is HILARIOUS and completely misunderstood, and it's really sad that RIGHT after he is recognised as the good-ish person he really is, the ANNOYING ending of the third book has to ruin it!! I personally don't remember MUCH about these books. I haven't re-read them in a while...  

Booklover777

4,000 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Foolish Catalyst

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:55 am
I love these books!
I think The Amulet of Samarkand was the first fantasy book I really read outside of Harry Potter - not including the ones I would have read when I was really young.

The ending is amazing.
I cried for so long after reading it...

I really do love the series.
The world in it is just... well, amazing. The hierarchy is so old-fashioned, and whole English setting seems almost medieval, 'cept with fast cars and sleek white penthouse apartments.
And isn't Nathaniel such an amazing name?
^_^

I just love the djinn(i?) in it too!
Those two bad-guy types that Lovelace has in the first book, I can't remember their names, but they crack me up! I always picture them as being like the Pain and Panic from Disney's Hercules.

And the foot-notes.
I hate to say it, but they're even more entertaining than those of Terry Pratchett.
Y'know, sometimes I reckon I learned sarcasm from these books.

The only thing that annoys me is Kitty.
She is such a cliche character. I do enjoy her part in the Resistance though, and seeing the world through her eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:15 pm
I love these books more then any other fantasy book I have read! Bartimeas's side notes always made me laugh! Too bad about the sad ending sad  

chellybear10

PtolemaeusZero

Invisible Hunter

5,750 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:43 am
smile I read the first and second book a little while ago but I never got around to the third. Then I started the series again a couple of days ago and I am still on the first. I haven't read about the "sad ending" so please don't tell me. I only just seen a post that said too bad about the sad ending... Ya I don't know what that is so NO ONE ruin it for me. It is a funny book though and I like Bartimaeus he's cool but I unfortunately haven't read the whole series to make a decision on my favorite. I'll finish it and post back!  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:40 pm
Fuyuri
Who has read the awsome books?
I personally like them better than Harry Potter.
I just love the witty, big-mouth demon Bartimaeus. Book three came out not to long ago here in europe. It was great, even if the ending was a bit sad.
My favorite was the first book though.

my favourite character is Bartimaeus too.  

evil_sheep

Spellcraft

7,250 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:46 am
blaugh I LOVE THE WHOLE SERIES!!! lol...thanks guys...i found out about bartimaeus in this thread and started reading it... mrgreen i immediately loved the story and finally finished the 3 books...

mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:55 pm
Talon StarDrifter
I have all three! heart My favie is the first one. But I only just started #3... But Bartimaeus kills me!!! blaugh He always makes me laugh. Like, in the third book, he says:
He could pass for a man. From behind. When viewed far away. On a very dark night

Well, that's not it exactly, but it's what needed to be told. BARTIMAEUS IS THE BEST COMEDIAN EVER!!!!!! xd rofl

I love that part! Bartimaeus is now my favorite fantasy series. dramallama  

PtolemaeusZero

Invisible Hunter

5,750 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

PtolemaeusZero

Invisible Hunter

5,750 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:59 pm
ShadowCreator42
smile I read the first and second book a little while ago but I never got around to the third. Then I started the series again a couple of days ago and I am still on the first. I haven't read about the "sad ending" so please don't tell me. I only just seen a post that said too bad about the sad ending... Ya I don't know what that is so NO ONE ruin it for me. It is a funny book though and I like Bartimaeus he's cool but I unfortunately haven't read the whole series to make a decision on my favorite. I'll finish it and post back!

I finished the third book and the series became my favorite fantasy. I bawled when .... well the sad thing happened at the end! ( dont want to ruin it for others) It was the perfect ending and sacrifice(1).

(1)People who have read the books will know what the sacrifice is ....(2)

(2)Also people who have read the books will know why these numbers are humorous!  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:49 pm
Foolish Catalyst
I love these books!
I think The Amulet of Samarkand was the first fantasy book I really read outside of Harry Potter - not including the ones I would have read when I was really young.

The ending is amazing.
I cried for so long after reading it...

I really do love the series.
The world in it is just... well, amazing. The hierarchy is so old-fashioned, and whole English setting seems almost medieval, 'cept with fast cars and sleek white penthouse apartments.
And isn't Nathaniel such an amazing name?
^_^

I just love the djinn(i?) in it too!
Those two bad-guy types that Lovelace has in the first book, I can't remember their names, but they crack me up! I always picture them as being like the Pain and Panic from Disney's Hercules.

And the foot-notes.
I hate to say it, but they're even more entertaining than those of Terry Pratchett.
Y'know, sometimes I reckon I learned sarcasm from these books.

The only thing that annoys me is Kitty.
She is such a cliche character. I do enjoy her part in the Resistance though, and seeing the world through her eyes.

She is a horrible character right up untill she meets Bartimaeus of course. I liked Kitty in the last book she changed alot.  

PtolemaeusZero

Invisible Hunter

5,750 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Eragon-12015

13,225 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:43 am
Some of the best books I've ever read. I love them so much! My favorite was book #3. I don't really have a specific reason, it was just my favorite.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff