Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Sidreal verses Tropical- I don't get it! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silver Luminate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:28 pm
April 16.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:52 pm
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet
Err...ok, so, which one is more correct? Or does that not really count? I dunno, I'm confused.
Which one is more correct is what I am asking everyone else. wink

Ha...that really should've been a no duh moment for me there. I claim being sick as my excuse. smile

Quote:
I have a guess as to which one you would enjoy based on your tradition, but then, I had a similar guess for other folks and have been consistently wrong.

From a quick look at wiki, tropical would probably be closer to my trad considering the seasons were of utmost importance. At the same time, Sirius was very important, and also (I think they were called) the northern stars were seen as the ancestors and dead Pharaohs because they never moved, thus constant.

I dunno. I have problems with the premise of astrology itself. How can the position of the planets and stars have an affect on a person's personality at the time of birth? Whenever I see descriptions of sun signs I feel like they're so general that they can apply to anyone, and no one at all at the same time. They've become charicatures unto themselves.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:17 am
whiporwill-o>> Cancer.
Illiezeulette >> Scorpio.
Silver Luminate >> You're still an Aries.

Bastemhet

Ha...that really should've been a no duh moment for me there. I claim being sick as my excuse. smile
Feel better soon.

Quote:
From a quick look at wiki, tropical would probably be closer to my trad considering the seasons were of utmost importance.
See! I would have been wrong again.

Historical Kemetic Astrology was Sidereal in nature.

Quote:
I dunno. I have problems with the premise of astrology itself. How can the position of the planets and stars have an affect on a person's personality at the time of birth? Whenever I see descriptions of sun signs I feel like they're so general that they can apply to anyone, and no one at all at the same time. They've become charicatures unto themselves.
Well, first I would warn against using simple Sun Sign descriptions as a guideline for the validity of Astrology.

As to the mechanics, I know what my tradition says- and it's pesudoscience to go with it and it makes a certain amount of sense to me. ~shrugs~  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:10 am
Quote:
Bastemhet

Feel better soon.

Thanks, I'm getting there. The Reiki helped so much that I got out of bed and laughed and talked and moved around. I paid for it the next day...and the next day...and the next... sweatdrop

Quote:
Quote:
From a quick look at wiki, tropical would probably be closer to my trad considering the seasons were of utmost importance.
See! I would have been wrong again.

Historical Kemetic Astrology was Sidereal in nature.

I really don't understand the mechanics of sidereal except that it's based on the position of the planets and stars (and this is paraphrasing from what I read a couple days ago) so I wouldn't know which is more applicable. Also I don't know if tropical is based on four seasons or three, since there were only three in Egypt.

Quote:

As to the mechanics, I know what my tradition says- and it's pesudoscience to go with it and it makes a certain amount of sense to me. ~shrugs~

Yeah, I know they're bs, I don't really have a good source, either. I wanted to learn astrology too, just for the lulz, but once I found out all the math involved I just said no. Math and I are not good friends.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:33 am
Bastemhet

Thanks, I'm getting there. The Reiki helped so much that I got out of bed and laughed and talked and moved around. I paid for it the next day...and the next day...and the next... sweatdrop
Heh...

Quote:
I really don't understand the mechanics of sidereal except that it's based on the position of the planets and stars (and this is paraphrasing from what I read a couple days ago) so I wouldn't know which is more applicable. Also I don't know if tropical is based on four seasons or three, since there were only three in Egypt.
What I am saying is that the historic Kemetic Astrologers didn't apply the Hellenic concept of seasons, but used a Sidereal Astological system because their understanding of Astrology was a function of them looking up at the sky.

Quote:

Yeah, I know they're bs, I don't really have a good source, either. I wanted to learn astrology too, just for the lulz, but once I found out all the math involved I just said no. Math and I are not good friends.
I hate the math. It's the biggest problem when it comes to me actually buckling down and making the charts.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:51 am
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

Heh...

I really need to brush up on the meditation part for Reiki but now that my sources are questionable I don't even know if it's worth it. gonk

Quote:
What I am saying is that the historic Kemetic Astrologers didn't apply the Hellenic concept of seasons, but used a Sidereal Astological system because their understanding of Astrology was a function of them looking up at the sky.

OH. ok. Then yeah.

Quote:
I hate the math. It's the biggest problem when it comes to me actually buckling down and making the charts.

Aren't there computer programs for this? Or do those rely on tropical astrology?  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:24 pm
Bastemhet

I really need to brush up on the meditation part for Reiki but now that my sources are questionable I don't even know if it's worth it. gonk
Meditation part?

Quote:
Aren't there computer programs for this? Or do those rely on tropical astrology?
I'm not familiar with any. But that doesn't mean they aren't out there.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:11 pm
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

Meditation part?

In my first class we were told to meditate and pray to Reiki to reveal our intent to heal. I personally find that whenever I just go and do it without meditating it works fine, though putting myself into a meditative state helps me to concentrate on feeling it flow.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:03 pm
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

Meditation part?

In my first class we were told to meditate and pray to Reiki to reveal our intent to heal. I personally find that whenever I just go and do it without meditating it works fine, though putting myself into a meditative state helps me to concentrate on feeling it flow.

... Interesting.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:40 pm
So what is the difference between a Hellenic Sidereal sign and whatever pop culture is telling me my sign is (Sagittarius)?

I had some website generate a natal chart for me based on my birth date, time, and location. I can't for the life of me remember what my Moon and Rising (?) signs were, but it gave really detailed information about positions of different planets in certain constellations and such. I would look at it right now but the information is a few thousand miles away. Is that chart Sidereal?  

aoijea23487

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:19 pm
Illiezeulette
So what is the difference between a Hellenic Sidereal sign and whatever pop culture is telling me my sign is (Sagittarius)?

I had some website generate a natal chart for me based on my birth date, time, and location. I can't for the life of me remember what my Moon and Rising (?) signs were, but it gave really detailed information about positions of different planets in certain constellations and such. I would look at it right now but the information is a few thousand miles away. Is that chart Sidereal?
Could be either Sidereal or Tropical, my guess is that it is Tropical though, since that's what the majority of the charts are.

Month and day and I might be able to tell you if it's a sidereal or tropical chart.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:19 pm
TeaDidikai
Illiezeulette

Could be either Sidereal or Tropical, my guess is that it is Tropical though, since that's what the majority of the charts are.

Month and day and I might be able to tell you if it's a sidereal or tropical chart.

Mkay, I found the website. I'm going to link you to my results, but if it doesn't work, I'll just go ahead and copypasta the image of the chart.
Illiezeulette's Results

User Image  

aoijea23487

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:23 pm
It's a Tropical chart.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:28 pm
TeaDidikai
It's a Tropical chart.

Now you've got me all interested and search-y. I do have quite a bit of time on my hands, so no biggie. I'mma go edumacate myself right about now, unless you can attest that the Wikipedia article on sidereal astrology is poorly cited/written?

Edit: I also enjoy doing mathematical calculations and delving into divination and space science, so if you ever need a hand...

Edit Edit: So after a quick Wiki briefing, sidereal seems a bit more reliable. Yet, so do the associations with each sun sign change from one system to another? Or do I just start identifying as a Scorpio?  

aoijea23487

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:02 am
Illiezeulette
TeaDidikai
It's a Tropical chart.

Now you've got me all interested and search-y. I do have quite a bit of time on my hands, so no biggie. I'mma go edumacate myself right about now, unless you can attest that the Wikipedia article on sidereal astrology is poorly cited/written?

Edit: I also enjoy doing mathematical calculations and delving into divination and space science, so if you ever need a hand...

Edit Edit: So after a quick Wiki briefing, sidereal seems a bit more reliable. Yet, so do the associations with each sun sign change from one system to another? Or do I just start identifying as a Scorpio?

To the best of my knowledge, most Western Sidereal Astrologers agree with the Tropical Astrology interpretation for a given sign, house etc- they just differ on when that sign, house etc is.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff