Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

your language?
  swear?
  no swear?
View Results

MatthewLovesChocolate123

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:43 am
Swearing is just plain rude and hateful and uncalled for! Swearing is stupid. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:02 pm
Eykos
Priestley
Eykos
"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." -Philippians 4:8

This is along the lines of what I was getting at with my last post.

What of God desiring mercy and not sacrifice?

Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
-Mark 8:34

User Image

I'm so confused sweatdrop

Both mercy and sacrifice are concepts found and stressed in the bible, what were you two getting at?

User Image

Semiremis

Eykos

1,300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:38 pm
Semiremis
Eykos
Priestley
Eykos
"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." -Philippians 4:8

Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

User Image

Both mercy and sacrifice are concepts found and stressed in the bible, what were you two getting at?

User Image

God requires both mercy and sacrifice.
The verse I attached was in response to the assertion that God required one at the expense of the other.

As a Christian, we are called to "die to the world"
The ways of this world are no longer our ways, the comforts of this world are no longer our objective, and the convenience of this world is no longer what we strive for.

We take up or Cross, and we nail our old selves to it with Christ.

We become a new creation through Christ, our old ways giving way to the ways of God.

This requires personal sacrifice, a realm into which worldly pursuits such as profanity, lusts, and sinful indulgences fall.

We are called to dwell not on the impure, but on the pure, the Holy, and the righteous.

Christ never left room for any gray area between the two.

So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth.
- Revelation 3:16

A thing is either of God, or it is of the World.
It cannot be both, and it cannot be neither

If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.
-John 15:19

This requires, in all aspects of life, immense personal sacrifice.

..That we are even given the option at all considering the judgement we deserve is mercy.

The Christian road is not, nor has it ever been intended to be, an easy one.
Somewhere out there at this very moment, a father is being forced to watch his child have his throat slit because he would not renounce Christ.

I've seen it with my own eyes in Iraq.

Compared to that, giving up profanity is minor indeed.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:56 pm
Eykos
Somewhere out there at this very moment, a father is being forced to watch his child have his throat slit because he would not renounce Christ.

What is the comparison exactly?

Please be clear in this, because I'm having a difficult time following your train of thought here.

Priestley

Semiremis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:11 pm
Eykos
Semiremis
Eykos
Priestley
Eykos

User Image

User Image

The verse I attached was in response to the assertion that God required one at the expense of the other.

The ways of this world are no longer our ways, the comforts of this world are no longer our objective, and the convenience of this world is no longer what we strive for.

We become a new creation through Christ, our old ways giving way to the ways of God.

This requires personal sacrifice, a realm into which worldly pursuits such as profanity, lusts, and sinful indulgences fall.

We are called to dwell not on the impure, but on the pure, the Holy, and the righteous.

So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

..That we are even given the option at all considering the judgement we deserve is mercy.

But you haven't shown how profanity is of the world anymore then the type of rough language used for rebuking by the disciples was of the world, or even by God. It's a type of speech and different types work for different types of people.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:31 pm
Priestley
Eykos

Please be clear in this, because I'm having a difficult time following your train of thought here.

You seem to have an issue with the concept of sacrifice in regards to keeping one's speech pure and holy, in lieu of the mercy of the Lord, something which I'm equally baffled by..

..so I illustrated that there are Christians, our brothers and sisters, who are making far greater sacrifices for the Lord in the world today..

..the issue of profanity should be a nonissue in comparison, but as it is being perceived as a great sacrifice, I made the lines clearer for you.  

Eykos

1,300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Eykos

1,300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:39 pm
Semiremis
Eykos
Semiremis
Eykos
Priestley
Eykos

User Image

User Image

But you haven't shown how profanity is of the world anymore then the type of rough language used for rebuking by the disciples was of the world, or even by God. It's a type of speech and different types work for different types of people.

"Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter"
1 Timothy 6:20

"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell."
James 3:6

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers."
Ephesians 4:29

"Abstain from all appearance of evil".
1 Thessalonians 5:22

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice."
Ephesians 4:31

"Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving"
Ephesians 5:4

How much clearer could it be stated?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:30 pm
Eykos
"Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter"

"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell."

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers."

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice."

"Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving"

I would say it could be stated much more clearly. For example, "foolish talk" is prohibited in one of those passages. Without understanding the context of the passage, that seems absurd. When one studies the passage, it is immediately obvious the passage is not talking about cursing.

None of those passages clearly indicate cursing is wrong. If that is the meaning of any of them, you have failed to show it.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Priestley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:09 pm
Eykos
Priestley
Eykos

You seem to have an issue with the concept of sacrifice in regards to keeping one's speech pure and holy, in lieu of the mercy of the Lord, something which I'm equally baffled by..

..so I illustrated that there are Christians, our brothers and sisters, who are making far greater sacrifices for the Lord in the world today..

..the issue of profanity should be a nonissue in comparison, but as it is being perceived as a great sacrifice, I made the lines clearer for you.

My issue is that sacrifice involves will, that is, the will to give something up. If something is done against one's will, it is not sacrifice. It is suffering. One is natural consequence, the other optional. The distinction is made in the Bible.

My issue was never with what is greater.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:58 pm
zz1000zz
Eykos

I would say it could be stated much more clearly. For example, "foolish talk" is prohibited in one of those passages. Without understanding the context of the passage, that seems absurd. When one studies the passage, it is immediately obvious the passage is not talking about cursing.

None of those passages clearly indicate cursing is wrong. If that is the meaning of any of them, you have failed to show it.

Therefore, by your regard, profanity is neither filthy, nor crude, nor wrathful, nor done in anger, nor clamor or slander, it gives non-Christians no appearance of evil on your part, it does good and edifies the Lord, it ministers grace unto the hearers, and is wholesome and totally good.

You've got to be kidding me.  

Eykos

1,300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 pm
Eykos
zz1000zz
Eykos

Therefore, by your regard, profanity is neither filthy, nor crude, nor wrathful, nor done in anger, nor clamor or slander, it gives non-Christians no appearance of evil on your part, it does good and edifies the Lord, it ministers grace unto the hearers, and is wholesome and totally good.

You've got to be kidding me.

This cannot possibly be taken from anything I have said. Please do not misrepresent people or their remarks.

You made a claim. You failed to demonstrate the validity of that claim. That is all.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:06 pm
Priestley
Eykos
Priestley
Eykos

My issue is that sacrifice involves will, that is, the will to give something up. If something is done against one's will, it is not sacrifice. It is suffering. One is natural consequence, the other optional. The distinction is made in the Bible.

If you're going to sacrafise something like this...then it istn' someone forcing you to. You do it because Jesus asks you to and he also asked that. It's in love for him. I do not worship ever because someone 'makes me.' I so it because It is my will to serve him. Can you give me some verses that say that we shouldn't give up things if we don't agree with the reasoning? And really, if we're all the time going to agree that everything God asks us to do is what we should do, that it isn't suffering, that it's worth it...doesn't that take out completely the whole 'narrow road vs. broad' thing? Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. (Matthew 7: 14+14)  

viper_353

Priestley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:01 am
viper_353
Priestley
Eykos
Priestley
Eykos

If you're going to sacrafise something like this...then it istn' someone forcing you to.

That's the nature of sacrifice, yes. Giving something up because one wants to do so.

viper_353
You do it because Jesus asks you to and he also asked that. It's in love for him.

As it is your choice to do so.

viper_353
I do not worship ever because someone 'makes me.' I so it because It is my will to serve him.

I never said it was because anyone forces you to do so.

viper_353
Can you give me some verses that say that we shouldn't give up things if we don't agree with the reasoning?

Why? I never made that claim.

viper_353
And really, if we're all the time going to agree that everything God asks us to do is what we should do, that it isn't suffering, that it's worth it...doesn't that take out completely the whole 'narrow road vs. broad' thing? Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. (Matthew 7: 14+14)

Not at all. In fact, whether or not you sacrifice -- that is willingly give up the choices that take you down the broad road -- entirely depends on how much you value the life that Jesus offers. In reality, there is no choice at all: only ultimatum.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:14 pm
Once upon a time, I never cussed. Ever. I had the most squeaky-clean mouth this side of the equator. To be fair, most of this was due to my dad being strict about what words I could and couldn't use. (He's less so now.)

Then came middle school.

And before I knew it, I was cussing like a sailor.

Well, "like a sailor" is an exaggeration. I don't pepper my every sentence with f-bombs. I'm actually rather good at censoring my speech. But cuss words are an integral part of my thought process, and they've slipped out in inappropriate situations more times than I'd care to admit. I think it would be overall better for me if I didn't cuss at all, but it's a difficult habit to kick.

However, my attitude towards swearing is pretty liberal. I don't see the harm in it as long as you're not dropping f-bombs in front of four-year-olds. And freelance lover makes an excellent point--what you're saying is more important than how you're saying it.  

Grilled Cheese

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:24 pm
I have never cursed. There would be no point.  

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games