Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Strange experience? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:32 pm
whiporwill-o
Orchidsandfractals
Kuroiban
Orchidsandfractals
Again, my peer considers the g word to be the most accurate word in regards to her culture. It's not she has never heard of the word Rroma before, but a personal preference. I would like to see several sources that are generally accepted as accurate Rroma sources that point to the idea that the g word is considered to be VERY negative by most Rroma. I would personally say the g word in American culture is not a negative word, unlike the n word, in terms of how it is most commonly used, so it seems more logical for a Rroma person to use the g word to describe themselves than a "black" person to use the n word to describe themselves, but people do the latter with some frequency. I consider my peer to be an accurate source of info about the Rroma culture as she herself IDs as part of it, and I consider her to be a more accurate source than random Gaia members. However, if random Gaia members can back up their claims with info from a group they consider to be accurate, and that is generally considered to be accurate, and that my peer IRL verifies(Or multiple other sources that I would consider to be accurate), I will admit my peer is wrong. That's the case with my mother referring to herself as Wiccan. Looking up basic facts about Wicca, and having a friend of mine who is neopagan tell me my mother is wrong, that overruled the word of my mother in regards to her faith.

I can tell my IRL friends I'm a bat. I could tell my on-line friends the same things just as easily. This does not make me a bat.

I'm not being a d**k; I'm merely establishing that taking one source of information as more accurate just because you know the person is somewhat of a logical fallacy.

I would say a person in real life is less likely than a random on the internet to lie about being part of a culture. This is because when you are on the internet, it is easy to lie about who you are, as you are not talking to the person face to face, and you can also log off and take a pause if the lie is too great for you. That's unlike the real world.

i find this to be an opinion. it is just as easy to lie irl as it is online, example: plenty of men and women pass themselves off as the opposite gender in real life aka drag queens and kings.

and it may not even have anything to do with lying, simply misinformation, such as the countless people who claim to be of a specific religion but, for many reasons, simply can not be due to the traditions expectations of its followers.

It's pretty easy to spot a drag queen or king who is not planning on changing their gender. Or I should say, it's easier to spot them IRL than it is on the internet without photos or voices. It is possible my peer is misinformed, and she is misinformed a bit about(or at least as far as I know), what the g word means about her supposed culture.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:41 pm
Orchidsandfractals
whiporwill-o
Orchidsandfractals
Kuroiban
Orchidsandfractals
Again, my peer considers the g word to be the most accurate word in regards to her culture. It's not she has never heard of the word Rroma before, but a personal preference. I would like to see several sources that are generally accepted as accurate Rroma sources that point to the idea that the g word is considered to be VERY negative by most Rroma. I would personally say the g word in American culture is not a negative word, unlike the n word, in terms of how it is most commonly used, so it seems more logical for a Rroma person to use the g word to describe themselves than a "black" person to use the n word to describe themselves, but people do the latter with some frequency. I consider my peer to be an accurate source of info about the Rroma culture as she herself IDs as part of it, and I consider her to be a more accurate source than random Gaia members. However, if random Gaia members can back up their claims with info from a group they consider to be accurate, and that is generally considered to be accurate, and that my peer IRL verifies(Or multiple other sources that I would consider to be accurate), I will admit my peer is wrong. That's the case with my mother referring to herself as Wiccan. Looking up basic facts about Wicca, and having a friend of mine who is neopagan tell me my mother is wrong, that overruled the word of my mother in regards to her faith.

I can tell my IRL friends I'm a bat. I could tell my on-line friends the same things just as easily. This does not make me a bat.

I'm not being a d**k; I'm merely establishing that taking one source of information as more accurate just because you know the person is somewhat of a logical fallacy.

I would say a person in real life is less likely than a random on the internet to lie about being part of a culture. This is because when you are on the internet, it is easy to lie about who you are, as you are not talking to the person face to face, and you can also log off and take a pause if the lie is too great for you. That's unlike the real world.

i find this to be an opinion. it is just as easy to lie irl as it is online, example: plenty of men and women pass themselves off as the opposite gender in real life aka drag queens and kings.

and it may not even have anything to do with lying, simply misinformation, such as the countless people who claim to be of a specific religion but, for many reasons, simply can not be due to the traditions expectations of its followers.

It's pretty easy to spot a drag queen or king who is not planning on changing their gender. Or I should say, it's easier to spot them IRL than it is on the internet without photos or voices. It is possible my peer is misinformed, and she is misinformed a bit about(or at least as far as I know), what the g word means about her supposed culture.

drag kings and queens was a poor example, but my arguement stands just the same. better example: con artists before the internet, they did all of their conning in person, had multiple marriages, personalities or claimed to be a messiah for monitary gain, sometimes killings others.

i bring this up because it bothers me you do not question 'tangible' people, yet you question those who are knowledgeable and are of the culture, have suffered the hardships and speak the language, just because you can't see their face. one should be just as cautious of peope they 'know' as they are of stangers. not so cautious as to not live life, but still careful just the same.  

whiporwill-o

Nines19

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:00 pm
Orchidsandfractals
Nines19
Orchidsandfractals
TeaDidikai- How would you suggest I confirm that she is a goddess then? I feel she is one, and based on what I have studied of religion, there is no further proof beyond that you feel overcome with the "power" of her. For the record, I tried praying last night(Lit a candle,and tried to think of the light that was around her), and the name that popped into my head was Athena(A bit VERY strangely pronounced, and I know people from Northern Greece, and it was not a Greek accent to the best of my knowledge.). I know that that is likely not her real name, as well, and well, Athena is not a hawk Goddess, though I suppose owls would make sense, but what I saw looked like a hawk.

It's possible (if we're going under the assumption that you are having encounters with a deity) that s/he is attempting to appear in forms you would understand - including refering to themselves as similar deities that you know of (such as Athena). I have heard of others with experiences like that.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why you're asking us, that is, random people on the internet, for information on the deity YOU are (possibly) encountering. Why not ask her? If it's truly a deity (or, possibly, even if not), and she truly is interested in you for whatever reason, she'll probably reveal herself to you in her ways.

I did try to ask her mentally, though I don't really know any ways to pray and ask clearly. She did not appear very clearly to me when I was praying to her, though I did see the light that surrounded her in my dream. I am still working on figuring out how to pray, which could be why her name was so unclear. I am asking for suggestions so I can try to figure out who she is, and look for manners of praying that may appease her into telling me her name. I am asking random people on the internet as I am not ready to tell my RL friends and family that I've stopped being atheist and have decided to worship a random hawk goddess. I'd at least like to figure out who she is before I go to a pagan/alternative book store and ask about random goddesses, or have a rough idea.

It's going to take more than one time of asking to get a straight answer. Creating a relationship with a deity (under the assumption that's what she is) is a long process, much like creating a relationship with another person.

Would you go on a Goth forum to ask about This One Goth Kid you just met and don't know much about, or would you take the time and build trust and friendship with the person themselves in order to find out more about them?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:10 pm
whiporwill-o
Orchidsandfractals
whiporwill-o
Orchidsandfractals
Kuroiban
Orchidsandfractals

drag kings and queens was a poor example, but my arguement stands just the same. better example: con artists before the internet, they did all of their conning in person, had multiple marriages, personalities or claimed to be a messiah for monitary gain, sometimes killings others.

i bring this up because it bothers me you do not question 'tangible' people, yet you question those who are knowledgeable and are of the culture, have suffered the hardships and speak the language, just because you can't see their face. one should be just as cautious of peope they 'know' as they are of stangers. not so cautious as to not live life, but still careful just the same.

I ask for 2ndary sources because I do not know if a person on the internet is purposely lying or not(It's like the difference between a show that's devoted to pop science(Internet), a peer reviewed journal(a leader of a community), or a TV Newscast(Friend/peers IRL), with the Weekly World News being a random email telling you to donate money for a scheme.). Of course, it is possible for a person to lie in person, but I'm just thinking it's a lot harder to be in character all the time as opposed to occasionally on the internet. Just my opinion though. There are con artists, in person and on the interenet, but there's a lot more websites with lies on them than magazines. I have already stated that I realize my peer is mistaken in her use of the g word. That doesn't mean that she is not Rroma for sure, I don't know 100% of her story, and every little fact about her life and her grandparents and great grandparents, nor do I know every single fact about her upbringing. As far as I know from what I know of her as a loose friend, she was raised in a typical American manner. She may well be an odd Rroma person, or she may not know what Rroma is.  

Orchidsandfractals

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:19 pm
Nines19
Orchidsandfractals
Nines19
Orchidsandfractals
TeaDidikai- How would you suggest I confirm that she is a goddess then? I feel she is one, and based on what I have studied of religion, there is no further proof beyond that you feel overcome with the "power" of her. For the record, I tried praying last night(Lit a candle,and tried to think of the light that was around her), and the name that popped into my head was Athena(A bit VERY strangely pronounced, and I know people from Northern Greece, and it was not a Greek accent to the best of my knowledge.). I know that that is likely not her real name, as well, and well, Athena is not a hawk Goddess, though I suppose owls would make sense, but what I saw looked like a hawk.

It's possible (if we're going under the assumption that you are having encounters with a deity) that s/he is attempting to appear in forms you would understand - including refering to themselves as similar deities that you know of (such as Athena). I have heard of others with experiences like that.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why you're asking us, that is, random people on the internet, for information on the deity YOU are (possibly) encountering. Why not ask her? If it's truly a deity (or, possibly, even if not), and she truly is interested in you for whatever reason, she'll probably reveal herself to you in her ways.

I did try to ask her mentally, though I don't really know any ways to pray and ask clearly. She did not appear very clearly to me when I was praying to her, though I did see the light that surrounded her in my dream. I am still working on figuring out how to pray, which could be why her name was so unclear. I am asking for suggestions so I can try to figure out who she is, and look for manners of praying that may appease her into telling me her name. I am asking random people on the internet as I am not ready to tell my RL friends and family that I've stopped being atheist and have decided to worship a random hawk goddess. I'd at least like to figure out who she is before I go to a pagan/alternative book store and ask about random goddesses, or have a rough idea.

It's going to take more than one time of asking to get a straight answer. Creating a relationship with a deity (under the assumption that's what she is) is a long process, much like creating a relationship with another person.

Would you go on a Goth forum to ask about This One Goth Kid you just met and don't know much about, or would you take the time and build trust and friendship with the person themselves in order to find out more about them?

I would try to research a little about goth if I knew nothing about it before going to a goth club to try to find said person and get to know them. I'd hate for them to think I hate their subculture thru ignorance. I know no ways for me to personally pray really, or to figure out things like that. I don't know how to build a relationship with her. I have been an atheist for most of my life. I've never really felt moved by religion either. I know I did that in goth fashion when I first discovered it. Then I talked to friends IRL about goth fashion, if I knew they were goth(Just as I ask you for advice here about how to research it, before I talk to my neopagan friends IRL), and then only then did I start to wear the clothes and gradually start dressing with the style as I see fit. It's also a lot easier to ask for advice IRL, or to stop calling oneself an atheist if one has a name for the religion. Neopagan would work on my less pagan friends, but on my neopagan friends, I'm not sure how they'd react to finding out I worship a hawk Goddess without knowing her name. It makes it hard for me to continue on a religious personal quest with no ideas of who I should try to honor. What may be the ideal ritual for a certain goddess may greatly offend another, and possibly lead the Goddess I am following to not want me to follow her if I offend her a lot thru ignorance. Though, I don't know the ways of the Goddess, so I don't know if she would be offended at that. I don't know a ton about pagan's personal practices for themselves to communicate with their Gods/Goddesses, other than it varies group to group. I'm not going to be prancing aroung "skyclad" and calling myself a Wiccan if my Goddess was actually the Virgin Mary and wished for me to become a nun, for possibly the most extreme example.(No offense to either Christians or Wiccans intended)Thank you though for comparing learning about her to learning about a person. Several other people have compared prayer to talking with God, so it is helping me understand how to view my Goddess.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:21 pm
Orchidsandfractals
I ask for 2ndary sources because I do not know if a person on the internet is purposely lying or not(It's like the difference between a show that's devoted to pop science(Internet), a peer reviewed journal(a leader of a community), or a TV Newscast(Friend/peers IRL), with the Weekly World News being a random email telling you to donate money for a scheme.). Of course, it is possible for a person to lie in person, but I'm just thinking it's a lot harder to be in character all the time as opposed to occasionally on the internet. Just my opinion though. There are con artists, in person and on the interenet, but there's a lot more websites with lies on them than magazines. I have already stated that I realize my peer is mistaken in her use of the g word. That doesn't mean that she is not Rroma for sure, I don't know 100% of her story, and every little fact about her life and her grandparents and great grandparents, nor do I know every single fact about her upbringing. As far as I know from what I know of her as a loose friend, she was raised in a typical American manner. She may well be an odd Rroma person, or she may not know what Rroma is.

fair enough, and it's good that you do ask for sources. take solice in knowing that this is an information guild and no one here would lie to you (intentionally) and if someone does make a mistake, efforts are made to correct it (for the most part, some people get huffy and start name calling, but they are easy to single out... mostly due to the name calling >.>). everyone in this guild is here to learn and/or to teach. sometimes it is difficult to weed out the truth from misconceptions (i've been down that road myself, specifically on the topic of wicca [shockers]).

as for specific goddess, i do not know enough on the subject to give a suitable answer, sorry.  

whiporwill-o

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:31 pm
whiporwill-o
Orchidsandfractals

fair enough, and it's good that you do ask for sources. take solice in knowing that this is an information guild and no one here would lie to you (intentionally) and if someone does make a mistake, efforts are made to correct it. everyone in this guild is here to learn and/or to teach. sometimes it is difficult to weed out the truth from misconceptions (i've been down that road myself, specifically on the topic of wicca [shockers]).

as for specific goddess, i do not know enough on the subject to give a suitable answer, sorry.

I would hope no one here would lie purposefully, though just as I thought the g word was the most prefered word, I'm sure others may make simple mistakes, or even more grave mistakes. My own mother thinks she is Wiccan, when to the best of my knowledge and several RL neopagans views, she is not at all(Unless it's some oath bound thing(Which I highly doubt, as she claimed a group that I went to as a child with her, that it was Wiccan, when it was neopagan.), but she certainly does not pray to the Lord and Lady of the Isles, but more tries to suck energy and worships ancestors, and thinks the idea of ritual sex or nudity is crazy. ). Discovering that did change my view of trusting sources, which is quite possibly why I'm so suspect of people on the internet, as if my own mother can be ignorant as to a religion, I would think a lot of people are! The reason I am in this group is to learn who the Goddess is, and discover how I can properly worship her.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:48 pm
Orchidsandfractals
whiporwill-o
Orchidsandfractals

fair enough, and it's good that you do ask for sources. take solice in knowing that this is an information guild and no one here would lie to you (intentionally) and if someone does make a mistake, efforts are made to correct it. everyone in this guild is here to learn and/or to teach. sometimes it is difficult to weed out the truth from misconceptions (i've been down that road myself, specifically on the topic of wicca [shockers]).

I would hope no one here would lie purposefully, though just as I thought the g word was the most prefered word, I'm sure others may make simple mistakes, or even more grave mistakes. My own mother thinks she is Wiccan, when to the best of my knowledge and several RL neopagans views, she is not at all(Unless it's some oath bound thing(Which I highly doubt, as she claimed a group that I went to as a child with her, that it was Wiccan, when it was neopagan.), but she certainly does not pray to the Lord and Lady of the Isles, but more tries to suck energy and worships ancestors, and thinks the idea of ritual sex or nudity is crazy. ). Discovering that did change my view of trusting sources, which is quite possibly why I'm so suspect of people on the internet, as if my own mother can be ignorant as to a religion, I would think a lot of people are! The reason I am in this group is to learn who the Goddess is, and discover how I can properly worship her.

before discovering who she is, it is very important to discover what she is. not saying that she isn't a goddess, but it's safer just to make absolutely sure. are you familiar with lucid dreaming? perhaps instead of praying, try finding her in your dreams again and talk to her.

as i said before, this is not something i am familiar with.  

whiporwill-o

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:51 pm
whiporwill-o
Orchidsandfractals
whiporwill-o
Orchidsandfractals

before discovering who she is, it is very important to discover what she is. not saying that she isn't a goddess, but it's safer just to make absolutely sure. are you familiar with lucid dreaming? perhaps instead of praying, try finding her in your dreams again and talk to her.

From what I understand, lucid dreaming is the act of knowing you're dreaming when you are? Most nights I do not have dreams I remember, but generally when I dream, I know I am dreaming, which is what made this dream different. It felt real, I guess, is the way I would explain it? Am I mistaken on what lucid dreaming is?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:55 pm
Orchidsandfractals
whiporwill-o
Orchidsandfractals
whiporwill-o
Orchidsandfractals

From what I understand, lucid dreaming is the act of knowing you're dreaming when you are? Most nights I do not have dreams I remember, but generally when I dream, I know I am dreaming, which is what made this dream different. It felt real, I guess, is the way I would explain it? Am I mistaken on what lucid dreaming is?

in lucid dreaming, one who is experienced in it can control certain aspects of their dreams (ie, the asking of certain questions). i have practiced lucid dreaming for a few years now, sometimes i can change a senario entirely, other times i can chose my own actions and successfully conquer a horde of zombies or not look at something that i know will be terrifying (i mostly use lucid dreaming when i am having a nightmare >.>).

perhaps if this being has contacted you in your dreams once before, she will do so again and maybe you can ask her the questions you seek answers for. there are certain types of incense that one can burn to induce prophetic dreaming, or at least that is what i have read (just don't fall asleep with it lit, fire is still fire however well contained).  

whiporwill-o

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:22 pm
whiporwill-o

in lucid dreaming, one who is experienced in it can control certain aspects of their dreams (ie, the asking of certain questions). i have practiced lucid dreaming for a few years now, sometimes i can change a senario entirely, other times i can chose my own actions and successfully conquer a horde of zombies or not look at something that i know will be terrifying (i mostly use lucid dreaming when i am having a nightmare >.>).

perhaps if this being has contacted you in your dreams once before, she will do so again and maybe you can ask her the questions you seek answers for. there are certain types of incense that one can burn to induce prophetic dreaming, or at least that is what i have read (just don't fall asleep with it lit, fire is still fire however well contained).

Do you happen to know any particular types of incense that have worked for you for this purpose? And if she does contact me in a dream, I will try to ask her the questions!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:48 pm
Orchidsandfractals
whiporwill-o

Do you happen to know any particular types of incense that have worked for you for this purpose? And if she does contact me in a dream, I will try to ask her the questions!

let me check some of my books.....

after doing some cross-referencing and weeding out the more-difficult-to-find stuff, many people seem to agree that rose and/or jasmine are good scents for inducing such dreams. prophecy, i don't think, is what you'd call what you're wanting to do (poor wording on my part), but the incense may help, just the same, if for no other reason that to 'set the mood'.  

whiporwill-o

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:34 pm
Orchidsandfractals
TeaDidikai- How would you suggest I confirm that she is a goddess then?
Test her. Check for variations, ask for UPG to be issued to you that can later be changed into CPG.

Quote:

I feel she is one, and based on what I have studied of religion, there is no further proof beyond that you feel overcome with the "power" of her.
Then your studies have fallen horribly short.

CPG is one of the common methods for confirmation.
Quote:

For the record, I tried praying last night(Lit a candle,and tried to think of the light that was around her), and the name that popped into my head was Athena(A bit VERY strangely pronounced, and I know people from Northern Greece, and it was not a Greek accent to the best of my knowledge.). I know that that is likely not her real name, as well, and well, Athena is not a hawk Goddess, though I suppose owls would make sense, but what I saw looked like a hawk.

It's possible it was an eagle, or a very odd looking owl.
Given that your grasping at straws to justify the delusion, I would say it's tipping the scales from Deity to Thoughtform pretty damn quickly.

Quote:
I cannot call myself an atheist after the dream I had, so I do believe she is a goddess.
That doesn't mean you're not lying to yourself.

Quote:
I see no reason why I would delude myself into thinking I saw a goddess when I did not want to see one, and am dealing with shock and some degree of stress about it.
Unless of course that shock and stress is reaffirming your personal autonomy. Which- given your mommy issues, is more than reasonable.

Quote:
In regards to why I'd like to know the name is that there are websites out there that list Goddesses and such, and I'd rather not waste my time looking up the name of her for hours till I stumble across a small paragraph on one website that says I'm unclean. If you cannot say the name of her due to your religion, then that is fine. I would rather know the name of your religion so I do not accidentally follow it. If it is not your religion, and you may tell me, I would rather know so that I do not waste time researching it and then discovering that I may not follow it.
You can't follow it. You'd have to have been raised in it. So no worries there either.

Quote:
I don't know everything about the discrimination against the Rroma people in the USA, though to the best of my knowledge, it is not common(Though, it could simply be not common due to the small numbers of Rroma.), and I have never seen an example of it(And I do know a person who considers herself to be Rroma.), other than people using the gword, but in a non demeaning manner as it is not intended as an insult, but as an accurate cultural description, which may be made in ignorance according to you.

Thus, I can say it does not exist to the best of my knowledge. If you believe it does exist, and can link me to an example of an event within the past 100 or so years in the US related to it(Or if you care to, explain a personal discrimination event toward the Rroma culture), I will retract that statement fully, and I am sorry in advance for offending you should such an event exist.
How about the physical beatings I took for being Domari from the Aryan Nation assholes?

How about the fact that even after the last Jim Crow Laws in the US were taken off the books it took another forty-four years before the last law against being Rroma was taken off the books. That is to say- it was legal to be of African decent and exist anywhere in the US they pleased, but it wasn't until 2008, just over a ******** year ago, that I would have had to pay extra taxes and carry a special ID card if I lived in NJ.

Quote:
Compared to discrimination against Jews, Blacks, GLBT, heck, even Baptists(who have been called heathens by an... interesting person who I went to high school with...), I would presume that it is a much lower rate. I'm not speaking of Europe or the UK, or the rest of the world. I do know discrimination against the Rroma exists in the UK, and much of Europe. That's not good. I know the Rroma people were hurt by the Holocaust, and many were killed, and there was not the widespread support in Europe after ww2. I am not aware of any such events in the US.
Perhaps then, you should hold your tongue when you are so painfully ignorant.

Quote:
If you do not consider my peer to be Rroma, it is your opinion, and as a Rroma, I will regard your opinion as that of someone who claims to be part of the Rroma culture as well, and if you call yourself such, as equally valid as her opinion of her culture if I knew you in person.However, if you say it requires talking to other people of her culture, her little brother generally calls himself American.
You're not following this.

Let me make this perfectly clear. Your racism is embodied in the assumption that you have any valid opinion on what it means to be part of the Rroma independent of what our culture says about it.

I'm not Domari because I want to be. I'm not Domari because my Baba was. ********, I'm not even Domari because I understand how the culture is expressed. I am Dom because I participate in my culture. I spend time within my community. I abide within the laws of my culture. I retain and am a participant within what makes our ethnicity a living, breathing culture. And most importantly... I am Domari because my community recognizes me as such.

Your position that just because your friend says she is a G~ that makes her one hinges on you- someone who is not Rroma, being able to tell those of us who are how we should order our traditions and practice our culture.

Quote:
I don't question my peer's usage of the term as she considers herself such,and I do know her in person. I don't talk to her often, but when we did, I never knew her to lie. It's possible her great grandmother lied, though I do doubt that. I consider her usage of the term valid as she considers herself to be a part of the culture. I am not a part of the Rroma culture, so I will take my peer's word over a random internet source.
Her ignorance displays that she is very likely not part of the culture. See- when you identify a word from within the language you claim to speak as offensive, you're doing a good job in showing that you're so far removed from the culture as to be external to it.

It'd be a bit like you saying you find the word people offensive.

Quote:
If you would like to link me to a website about the Rroma that you consider to be legitimate, I will take it into consideration, and I will probably ask my peer the next time I see her if she considers it an appropriate source, or if there is what is generally considered to be a "universal" group about such matters(Just as a Rabbi is considered a "legit" source for info about the Jewish people, or a newspaper is considered an acceptable source for news.), that is easily verified by 3 other sources(Such as CNN, published books, or some way to clarify that it is an accurate source. Basically, no blogs or crazy out there websites. Reasonable sources such as those used for school), I will consider your word to be more valid than that of my peer in regards to this matter and I will say that my friend is ignorant of her culture, or what she considers to be her culture. As I do not know legitimate Rroma sources for an explanation of the culture(Though, you may link some, and I will consider them.), I will listen to a peer I know IRL, who considers herself a part of the culture.
I typically use The Pariah Syndrome by Ian Hancock to illustrate to Non-Rroma what we as a people go through.

Quote:

Gaia in it of itself, and the people on here, is not an acceptable source IMO for information to be 100% truthful. Just look at most of the forums here... LD, LI, GD, Chatterbox. Need I list more? XD
Then your opinion needs to be cleansed of it's fallacious justification.

Quote:
One is born Jewish, faith and culturally. You can break the covenant if you like, it's a sin, but you still remain religiously as well as culturally Jewish. You're just a very bad Jew. It's kinda complicated. You can be a Jewish atheist, you're just not being a good Jew. You can't change your religion of being Jewish once you're born into a Jewish family.
Hoshit! Quick! Someone call Saul and inform him he ******** it up!

Quote:
My ancestors are rather culturally Scottish in the sense that kilt wearing only stopped once male children of legitimate marriages stopped being born(Really, only the first born child of a male chieftain can wear a kilt. Now, who the chieftain is in my clan gets VERY tricky. A lot of name changes, and depending on which law we're looking at, it's whoever owns the "castle", which is to say a tract of land in a small town. Currently, it's some random oil tycoon that only bought it from the British government to have permission for the oil rights on the North Sea. By other standards, it's some random guy in Canada. By some others, it gets even trickier since I am female and my mother married a non "noble" as did most of my ancestors, which messes with clan laws depending on which set we're looking at, as is the case with all the leaders of my clan, and most other clans for that matter.), and with my great grandmother, the only member of my family who was eligible to wear a kilt(My father's side was more peasants.), was her father.
Anyone here know Necromancy? I need to bring my grandfather back to life and inform him that, as a man of honorable service within the Royal Highland Regiment, he should never have worn his blood earned Tartan. stare

Quote:
We left Scotland under death warrants, not out of choice, so we do remain Scottish.
Tell you what. You can legitimately call yourself Scottish without being a liar and an oathbreaker when you produce your Passport.

Until then, you're sense of entitlement smacks of racism.

Quote:
I am the first generation in my family to speak only English well. My mother can speak broken Scots, and my grandmother and grandfather can speak Scots fluently, though it is their 2nd language. I'd consider that to be a sign we retained our culture.
We? You don't speak the language. What parts of the culture do you participate in? And where is that pesky passport?

Quote:
...just as it is possible you know nothing about your culture.
Ahmaki, you take that back. Now.

Quote:
Depending on who is doing the visa applications that day, I may not ever be able to get a visa to visit Scotland. We are not nationally Scottish(My citizenship is that of an American citizen.), but in terms of culture, we are Scottish Jews who live in America and have for several hundred years.
Actually, you have yourself contradicted your position. You don't participate in the culture.

Quote:
I use the term Scottish to describe the general nation, if I wanted to get specific, I could name tribes and such. The word semetic is used in tracing histories to refer to Middle Eastern people, as is true of language studies. I know wikipedia is not a reliable source, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic has a decent definition of it. http://foundationstone.com.au/FoundationStone.html?./HtmlSupport/WebPage/semiticGenetics.html explains how Jewish people are related to other Middle Eastern people. Most Jewish people are very closely related to Middle Eastern people. I have very little Middle Eastern blood in my MtDNA, Russian, Native American with a bit of Algerian appeared to be what it was, which, none were very close.

That basically means Northern Scottish person according to the genetics prof I had the test done with. Or Basque. Sometimes Sumi. Basically, it just means non Celtic European who doesn't quite match up with the ready made models, and who has too small of a population to do objective genetic studies of. However, given that my family did live in Scotland for many many years, it is debatable if we are Celtic in culture or not. It is most likely an ancestor of mine converted to Judaism in the distant past, and she had children, who were Jewish, as opposed to my having much Middle Eastern blood at all. Or, the Middle Eastern blood in me may be so back as to not show up clearly, as the test I had done was only valid for 1000 or so years, which is not terribly long in the world of genetics. I have so little Middle Eastern blood in me, if any, that I would not qualify as a Semitic person under a scientific definition.
You're Cherry Picking if you think you can rely on Genetics alone to exclude you when you preach to me about culture and theology.

It becomes more obvious when you note that the very source you provide addresses its application to ethnic and cultural groups. stare

Quote:
Getile fish is a type of food that is considered Jewish.
Who knew that a fish dish could be considered a member of an ethnoreligious group?!

Quote:
Judaism is a tricky religion in that respect. It's not a matter of breaking Jewish laws for the Lulz, but following what I feel is the correct path for me, regardless of what laws of a religion I am born into and cannot leave, but choose not to follow. Judaism does not allow anyone but converts(which... I'm not 100% sure on that. I know converts aren't "full" Jews, but their children are.) to leave. Once a Jew, always a Jew,but a sinning Jew if one decides to leave is the best way to sum it up.
For some reason, I suspect I likely know more about Judaism than you do as a theology. Might have something to do with the fact you only speak English and I can read Biblical Hebrew. ~shrugs~

Quote:
I'm reasonably certain my ancestor wasn't racist as his son fought for the side of the North in the Civil War. He certainly would not have been considered racist for his era. His son was very much not racist, as my great grandmother knew him, and she was encouraged to room with a student of African Ancestry when she was in high school, which meant sleeping in a maid's closet.
Fighting for the North does not demonstrate they weren't racist. ********, you don't consider yourself racist and yet your words are thick with it.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:51 pm
TeaDidikai
Ahmaki, you take that back. Now.

I'm afraid I don't see the insult here. Not knowing you outside of this thread, it is possible that you, a largely unknown entity, do not know about the culture you profess to participate in. Given that this person knows little to nothing of the Rroma culture, then Orchidsandfractals can not draw from your words proof either of your legitimacy or your lack there-of and, as such, can only label you as potentially knowledgeable.

Please, will you explain why this is offensive? I believe that whatever error you view Orchid to be making here in regard to you, I made prior to seeing evidence of your claim. I would like to know what I ought to be apologizing for.  

Aino Ailill

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:51 pm
Orchidsandfractals
I would personally say the g word in American culture is not a negative word, unlike the n word, in terms of how it is most commonly used, so it seems more logical for a Rroma person to use the g word to describe themselves than a "black" person to use the n word to describe themselves, but people do the latter with some frequency.

More racism.
You get to tell me how negative a slur is?
You get to tell me that somehow romantic misrepresentation of my ethnicity that debases and dehumanizes us isn't bad?

Cute.

Quote:

I consider my peer to be an accurate source of info about the Rroma culture as she herself IDs as part of it,
Buckland claims to be part of it while saying that we commonly violate cultural standards to practice ancient magical arts. stare Fakes are fakes.

Orchidsandfractals
I would say a person in real life is less likely than a random on the internet to lie about being part of a culture.
Your personal opinion is fallacious.

The most common reasons people lie about being Rroma include:
They feel it is exotic and that lends to autonomy
They ignore that G~ is a slur that addresses the Rroma and argue that we aren't actually an ethnicity, but a lifestyle.
They have read a book by Buckland or some other damn fool and feel that they can convert to being Rroma.

Orchidsandfractals
I am sorry, Tea(as I notice others call you here),
Others get to. You haven't earned it.
Your apology for the use of the slur is accepted.
How about the rest of it?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces