Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
'Fake Vegetarians' Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Annoying?
  YES
  No
  I don't really care.
View Results

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:55 pm
Kecitich
Yes I do get annoyed about that, especially when someone said they are vegetarian in one show, while few weeks later appeared in another tv show eating and "tasting" fish/meat

The art of television, you can be any body your want for ratings.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:34 am
Yesterday, I was at my friends birthday party, and her brother stopped by. I over heard him talking to his parents (there were a lot of people) saying he was vegetarian. But then I heard him say, "But the only meat I eat is chicken and fish." I said in a low voice for only myself to hear was, "well then, you aren't vegetarian then" and my boyfriend whispered to me, "you don't have to be a smart a** about it" and I told him that it annoys me when people eat meat and claim to be veg. Very annoying.  

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:33 am
Aphorism
Eh, when I come across someone who claims they are a vegetarian while they still eat fish/chicken/etc., I try to ignore it. I've gotten into too many arguments about it.

sweatdrop

I love it when people think that I am in "some kind of phase", because they know someone who is.

I'm not! Hello?!?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:54 am
Phoenix Days
I'm vegetarian. My mom knows this.
Yet, she keeps trying to get me to eat fish claiming that
"Most vegetarians and vegans eat fish."
She also thinks that the only thing I'm cutting out of my diet is meat. Not Quite.
*sigh* i guess I'm going to have to keep refusing to eat fish.
my mom finally stopped doing that. smile

It took like two months of me teaching her about what I'm doing but now she finally understands.  

a-little-piggy

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

nautilus96

2,100 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:54 pm
there's a lot of people just trying to fit into some category (such as vegetarianism/veganism)- personally, I do find it somewhat...weird when people say stuff like that, but you have to be encouraging that they be upfront about exactly how they are rather than pressuring them.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:09 am
Some people who decide to "go healthy" and say that they are vegetarian. About a month later, they are eating meat. Apparently it was "too hard for them", so they gave it up. I didn't ask about the "go healthy part", though you can claim that by being a non-veggie, that you can be "healthy", too.

Meh.  

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Banvivrie

Familiar Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:41 am
Yeah, the "go healthy" thing can be a bit of a double edged sword. It's great that people want to improve their health, but constant flip-flopping doesn't help vegetarianism, and may even hurt it. It's especially bad when it comes to veganism, since that is a lifestyle choice to avoid all animal products wherever practical, not just a decision to cut back on burgers.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:52 pm
angel_devil121
Does anyone else get pretty annoyed when people claim to be vegetarian, but still eat one kind of meat, i.e. fish?
This one girl today said something about liking bbq chicken, and one of her friends said 'I thought you were a vegetarian' her reply: 'No, I am, I just eat CHICKEN'

Does this annoy anyone else?
Heck yes. If you eat an animal, you are not a vegetarian. It really grates on my nerves when people think that ''oh because it has feathers'' or ''oh because it has scales'' it doesn't count. Yes. Yes it does. If you eat an animal, no matter what species, you are not a vegetarian. Thank you for speaking your mind on this issue. You're not alone in your annoyance. Trust me.  

The_Lady_Revenge

Captain Pasta

Gracious Genius

3,600 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:35 pm
How can one person call themselves a vegetarian and justify eating an one type of animal or fish? I don't understand it. Surely animals feel the same pain?

And sometimes it's for really stupid reasons, like that animal isn't cute and gaah - end of rant-  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:26 am
Personally, I don't like passing judgement on anyone else for their dietary lifestyle. I would say that it is fair to kindly inform them that they may be using the wrong terminology, or to educate them on the variety of practices associated with veg*nism, but I would also say that it is very contextual.

I often tell people I'm vegetarian out of convenience - while I'll eat some kinds of meat (primarily fish, seafood, and poultry), I tend to be "publicly vegetarian" - that is, if I'm asked what my dietary preferences are (like for a set dinner) I will choose the vegetarian option to "be safe" and not feel like I have to consume foods that I don't like or want to eat. I generally explain that I'm "partially vegetarian" or that I avoid meat but don't completely restrict my diet... but only if I'm asked or the context allows me to go on a lengthy diatribe about my dietary preferences. I also figure that most people don't care, and since my primary goal of vegetarianism isn't an ethical or health reason (although I respect those who do so for those reasons) I don't usually have a good explanation at my fingertips other than that I just prefer not to consume a high volume of meat or animal products.

If that annoys stricter veg*ns, well, sorry. But I think for me, the idea is to be forthcoming when the context allows, and open-minded about others' opinions, rather than drawing attention unnecessarily to myself.

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200

Kecitich

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:44 am
Nadira
Kecitich
Yes I do get annoyed about that, especially when someone said they are vegetarian in one show, while few weeks later appeared in another tv show eating and "tasting" fish/meat

The art of television, you can be any body your want for ratings.

Yes you are right, Nadira, the kind of things I shouldn't have watched. It disgusted me. I am glad no television has been switched on at my home since 2012's Spring. More time for better things smile

Keakealani, that's good intention on your part smile , got to admit that is deceiving others non-vegetarian to think vegetarians also eat meat once in a while. Many people ask me, "Do you eat meat once in a while (cheat day?) because I know someone who said they are vegetarian also eats meat once in a while."

Of course everyone who has been brainwashed by media telling them to eat meat to get protein do tends to get pretty aggressive. Like I have said, you have good intention it is at least something emotion_hug Whatever other people thinks is their problems.

I know I am a vegan, don't eat meat, don't have any "cheat days", I love myself and animals. I am not giving out money to pay for anyone who kills/cooked/trade animals for livings...  
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:25 am
In my opinion it's better than nothing. If they only eat fish, for example, at least all the other potential animals they'd have eaten are safe.  

Roxy Scissors

Anxious Genius

4,250 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

MonsterPhilosophy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:32 am
While I think that cutting your meat consumption is a good thing, it's annoying when they put a title on them that they don't live up to. If you still eat fish you're a pescetarian, and if you still eat chicken you're .. well, no fancy title, just an omnivore who eats less meat. Calling a pescetarian a vegetarian would in my eyes equal to calling a muslim a vegetarian because he/she doesn't eat pork.

The most annoying part is that people ALWAYS ask "but do you still eat fish? what about chicken?" - I don't know about you, but I haven't seen chicken and fish growing on trees. Chicken is not a vegetable, how hard can it be to figure out?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:06 pm
It's okay to be a partial vegan. confused

It's about minimizing the pain of animals and if someone can only take chicken out of their diet then that's fine. As long as someone is taking steps towards being more veggie and understands that animals aren't only on earth for human consumption.

I'm vegan and I look at people who eat milk and cheese like they're crazy. I see you with your leather seats, don't think I can't see you. But if someone cuts out meat and that's all they can do then I think that is a small success that should be supported. And then we can grow our vegan army further. ninja What? I didn't say anything

How about harm reduction rather than shaming people because they're not as good at being veg? It's more effective for the cause.

Love the animals... and the humans if you can. 4laugh  

Rosebud Tisane

High-functioning Lunatic

Bokor Yukari

Lonely Girl

13,525 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:40 am
My sister is a vegan who does this, It's really upsetting actually  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians