Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
meditation Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ainwyn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:31 pm
Fiddlers Green

So, on the main topic, I have been engaging with some Nichiren Buddhists who are very very fond of their chanting. It is used as a focusing aid, not just for creating mindset, but sorta for attuning oneself to Myoho (they have thus far explained this as the cosmic law of causality). I will be speaking with a more senior member this weekend for my own edification and to answer some questions.

OOO, sweet! I'm going to have to look up that sect now. I know that chanting is a very important form of meditation for Seon Buddhists, and they do it several times a day. Though there are also many who will only practice meditation in complete silence for large parts of the year during winter and summer.

Are you going to bring up what you learn, here?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:47 pm
Ainwyn
Aino Ailill

redtearsblackwings
TeaDidikai
Byaggha
They're in the extreme. Most monks I've met will happily drink tea, caffeinated or not. 3nodding
Is there an actual scriptural position on this? Or is it like the LDS, where there is no position, but it's become part of the culture.

The idea behind it is so that you're focused on Elightement rather then anything else, hece not having anything that aulters you're state of mind.

It seemed rather as if you were referring to caffeinated substances in general, as that is what the conversation was about. If you weren't, clarification would've been helpful.

Actually, in the conversation you quoted, Red makes reference only to coffee, while Byaggha makes reference to tea, and Tea makes reference to caffeine in general. But since Byaggha has found for us what surā means and Tea's concluded that prohibition of tea is only a personal decision of certain monks... can we get back on meditation now? Please?

redface Were you talking about the first part of her sentence? Cuz then what you said makes much more sense. Sorry!

I was referring to where RTBW said "[t]he idea behind it" when 'it' should have been referencing all of what I bolded. Apparently I, myself, am not very clear. >.< My apologies!

---

I do feel badly about posting without concern to the thread topic, though! As such:

I am not overly acquainted with meditation. When I was in Middle School and was beginning to explore various religions, I browsed through the web and that one venture comprises all I know of meditation.

I tried one method which comprised of being in a quiet, dark area and, with closed eyes, picturing one's self as a tree with deep roots and reaching branches. One was to imagine a light originating from the branches and moving down the body, covering and embracing the body, until it reached the roots and spread into the ground. Practicing this rather assisted me in calming my mind before I would try to go to sleep or before a test. My sleeping issues were, in large part, due to anxiety inspired from the dark or the oppressive silence. So...it helped me and maybe it could be of assistance to you?  

Aino Ailill

Ainwyn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:55 pm
Aino Ailill

I was referring to where RTBW said "[t]he idea behind it" when 'it' should have been referencing all of what I bolded. Apparently I, myself, am not very clear. >.< My apologies!

---

I do feel badly about posting without concern to the thread topic, though! As such:

I am not overly acquainted with meditation. When I was in Middle School and was beginning to explore various religions, I browsed through the web and that one venture comprises all I know of meditation.

I tried one method which comprised of being in a quiet, dark area and, with closed eyes, picturing one's self as a tree with deep roots and reaching branches. One was to imagine a light originating from the branches and moving down the body, covering and embracing the body, until it reached the roots and spread into the ground. Practicing this rather assisted me in calming my mind before I would try to go to sleep or before a test. My sleeping issues were, in large part, due to anxiety inspired from the dark or the oppressive silence. So...it helped me and maybe it could be of assistance to you?

Actually, that's really helpful, but not in the way you intended lol It just made me remember that when I was in high school, I used to do a short, calming meditation before going on stage to perform, and I'd totally forgotten about it recently. I have serious performance anxiety and a heredity issue of incredibly shaky hands on top of that (which sucks with cello), so maybe this would be a good practice to start again. I've just been so rushed lately that I haven't been thinking of that.

Also, my performance anxiety tends to make me have a sort of out of body experience that I just realized recently. I kind of turn myself on autopilot, hope my muscles know what they're doing and get the hell out of there! Perhaps grounding myself before hand will keep this from happening.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:18 pm
TeaDidikai
Byaggha>> Thanks. Well, I guess there isn't anything that actually prohibits tea outside of personal opinion. Which seems fair enough.
I tried, but like I said, all I found was Sangha/personal opinions on how to count tea/other caffeinated drinks. Either they're allowed under medicinals and health tonics fit for everyone, or they're disallowed based on a concept of them altering the mind too much/because they are easy to get addicted to. 3nodding

Back to main topic, the Nichiren are very fond of the Lotus Sutra specifically, and chant some of it as a sole means to enlightenment. You've probably heard it if you know Xzibit - it was in Concentrate. The guy chanting in the background is using the Nichiren mantra of choice. 3nodding  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

redtearsblackwings

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:25 am
Ainwyn
Fiddlers Green

So, on the main topic, I have been engaging with some Nichiren Buddhists who are very very fond of their chanting. It is used as a focusing aid, not just for creating mindset, but sorta for attuning oneself to Myoho (they have thus far explained this as the cosmic law of causality). I will be speaking with a more senior member this weekend for my own edification and to answer some questions.

OOO, sweet! I'm going to have to look up that sect now. I know that chanting is a very important form of meditation for Seon Buddhists, and they do it several times a day. Though there are also many who will only practice meditation in complete silence for large parts of the year during winter and summer.

Buddhists have such intersting ways of meditation. If it wasn't for the fact that I'd read into them a bit more, I would have thought that the only way to meditate was quietly without speaking.

Could you give us an example of Chants you may use? If you use any.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:40 pm
Ainwyn
Fiddlers Green

Nam myo ho ren gay kyo is the classic Nichiren chant.

My hubby almost ended up as a Nichiren Buddhist. Almost. Really funny story to it actually.  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:48 pm
Ainwyn

Back from the world peace prayer.
Very interesting stuff there. I will have research Ikeda's split from the priesthood more before I comment on that, most of the online resources are heavily biased in one direction or the other.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is the transliteration they are using for us, but I am not fond of translating across scripts. A concern several members agreed with, and they encouraged me to play by ear rather than attempt reading... The sound is more important than the letters, they said.
Which roughly translates (or so I have pieced together) as I submit to the sacred law of causality/interconnectivity/oneness. Japanese is not one of my strong languages tho. If anyone knows better, let me know.
It is very comforting, the droning of chants while focusing. I can see why the elevate it so. Beyound that, they also chant the 2nd and 16th chapters of the Lotus Sutra. I am working on translations for the version they use, but they are quite.. catchy? Without knowing the words, or what they mean, I can recite some small parts of it from memory still.
The person I spoke to explained their exclusive adherence to the Lotus Sutra fairly well, and also explained that some Nichiren Buddhists exalt Nichiren Dai-Shonin over Shakyamuni/Gautama Buddha, but this is not universal, and is tangential to the thread.
They chant to a Gohonzon, which is based on an inscription that Nichiren made in about 1279, in which he illustrated the purpose of the Lotus sutra.

Personal experience found the chanting very invigorating, but that may have been the energy of the gathered faithful. I intend to attempt several exercises with the Dai-moku (the chant mentioned above) to observe it's effects outside the congregation. It is of note that they established the presence of a Gohonzon as an important aid to Dai-moku. If the Dai-moku is the bow that plays the violin of self-realization, then the Gohonzon is rosin for that bow. Again, I will be experimenting with this as well. Visual stimulus as well as auditory stimulus all can have effect on tuning one's consciousness, and I look forward to tinkering with this more.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:49 pm
Humming can help when you have trouble with silence. The budhist 'Om mani Padmé hum" is an easy mantra you could use when you dont like to hum.

Good luck!  

Gwenno

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:28 pm
Pagan disciple
Humming can help when you have trouble with silence. The budhist 'Om mani Padmé hum" is an easy mantra you could use when you dont like to hum.

Good luck!
Since that isn't recommended for someone who would reject the premise of the mantra, what would you suggest in it's place?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:50 pm
TeaDidikai

My hubby almost ended up as a Nichiren Buddhist. Almost. Really funny story to it actually.

Yeah, the nuns I worked with in Korea were always saying what an awesome nun I'd be, and telling me all the things to look into, until I took one of them to a classical concert and couldn't stop talking about music before and after it. She decided I was too attached to music to become a nun. They decided I was a posal though, which... sweatdrop I'm still trying to live up to the name they gave me. Studying with them taught me a ton about right mindfulness, and the five precepts are pretty awesome as basic things to live by go, but the middle path just wasn't for me.

*runs off to read Fiddlers' post*  

Ainwyn

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:57 pm
Ainwyn
TeaDidikai

Yeah, the nuns I worked with in Korea were always saying what an awesome nun I'd be, and telling me all the things to look into, until I took one of them to a classical concert and couldn't stop talking about music before and after it. She decided I was too attached to music to become a nun. They decided I was a posal though, which... sweatdrop I'm still trying to live up to the name they gave me. Studying with them taught me a ton about right mindfulness, and the five precepts are pretty awesome as basic things to live by go, but the middle path just wasn't for me.

*runs off to read Fiddlers' post*
Isakane was going to join the local group. We had attended some meetings together and he was really getting into it- and then a goddess pretty much slapped him upside the head and said "No. Mine." And he's been with her ever since.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:33 pm
ok, so i was listening to 'morphing thru time' by enigma and just totally zoned, but in a weird way. it's like i was here, but i wasn't in my body anymore, it's really hard to describe. i was completely conscious and aware of my surroundings, but at the same time i felt, well, sorta vertigo-ish. like how you get when you take nighttime sinus meds or something, but without the yucky unpleasantness... i have no idea if i'm making any sense, but what would you call that sensation? (and for the record i was completely free of any medications, intoxicants or other form of drugs)  

whiporwill-o

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:43 am
whiporwill-o
ok, so i was listening to 'morphing thru time' by enigma and just totally zoned, but in a weird way. it's like i was here, but i wasn't in my body anymore, it's really hard to describe. i was completely conscious and aware of my surroundings, but at the same time i felt, well, sorta vertigo-ish. like how you get when you take nighttime sinus meds or something, but without the yucky unpleasantness... i have no idea if i'm making any sense, but what would you call that sensation? (and for the record i was completely free of any medications, intoxicants or other form of drugs)
Sounds like an altered state of awareness... that isn't always synonymous with meditation though.

I guess the question to ask is: Why do you want to meditate?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:35 am
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o
Sounds like an altered state of awareness... that isn't always synonymous with meditation though.

I guess the question to ask is: Why do you want to meditate?

ok, i didn't think it was meditation, i just wasnt sure what to call it.

i'm hoping that meditation will help calm my stress levels and gather my thoughts, which would help out in alot of other areas too such as my insomnia and attitude, i tend to stay in a good mood for the most part, but if someone pushes the wrong button then im irritable the rest of the day. i may be misinformed, and if i am please correct me, but i was under the impression that meditating could help with these sorts of issues.  

whiporwill-o

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:44 am
You should be made aware then that the initial response you have to meditation, at least as it is taught among Buddhists, may not be one of calmness or stress reduction - it's not something the mind is used to, and sometimes it fights back. Other times, you discover you've been hiding things from yourself. This can lead to the 'unburying' of very unpleasant repressed memories...

That having been said, if you don't mind running by Buddhist standard on it, and I know some people do mind it so take it for what it's worth, I recommend Metta meditation in specific. It'll help with the attitude. Cultivating a universal love and compassion isn't easy though, so that too will take time. 3nodding  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff