Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Tarot? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:50 pm
redtearsblackwings
What is the best Tarot deck to learn from?
I havn't yet gotten to Tarot and theres so many decks that I'm starting to wonder what one would be the best to start with?
Depends on your learning style.

Do you have a working understanding of what helps you learn?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:24 pm
Rider-Waite does seem to be the most commonly known one. It was my first deck. But once my first deck began to get pretty worn out, I picked up a new deck, The Golden Tarot by Liz Dean.

It's got very very beautiful Major Arcana, but it's Marseilles-esque, and has no illustrations on the Minor Arcana. Since I'm more familiar with Rider-Waite style decks, it's frustrated me a lot.
I was actually quite dissappointed with it; it's got very fragile cards, and it gives me a hard time.
http://ladyluna.ru/images/runes/goldendeancards 15.gif
http://www.melissalaunay.com/wp-content/gallery/tarot-cards/VI LOVERS.jpg
[It's very very pretty though]

...So I'm on the hunt for a new deck again.

I also use Oracle cards from time to time. I own a gorgeous Animal Messages Oracle deck, that I've found quite useful at times.  

Ellisari

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:10 pm
Time to work on some memorization. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:23 pm
TeaDidikai

Dx Yeahh.. It's just I had my Minor Arcana memorized by the images on the cards. Without em, it's so much harder.  

Ellisari

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:40 pm
Reine Lunaire
TeaDidikai

Dx Yeahh.. It's just I had my Minor Arcana memorized by the images on the cards. Without em, it's so much harder.
I recommend practicing memory association between the two sets of Minor Arcana.

Associate the number of the pips with the image.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:42 pm
I shall try that. ^^

Thanks!  

Ellisari

redtearsblackwings

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:40 am
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings
What is the best Tarot deck to learn from?
I havn't yet gotten to Tarot and theres so many decks that I'm starting to wonder what one would be the best to start with?
Depends on your learning style.

Do you have a working understanding of what helps you learn?

Yeah I'm a very visual learner, so I like patterns and vibrant colours when trying to learn something.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:09 am
redtearsblackwings

Yeah I'm a very visual learner, so I like patterns and vibrant colours when trying to learn something.
I'd recommend working with a deck like the Robin Wood, and using a journaling system to memorize core concepts for each card.  

TeaDidikai

CilverCyanide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:25 am
TeaDidikai
CilverCyanide
Tea~ I don't have any specific tradition. I'm just looking for an alternative way to clear my decks that works just as well.

Here's the thing.
If I have absolutely no context to work with- I can't offer alternatives.
In my sleep depted distracted state I can think of around twenty different solutions. Some of these solutions are disqualified because of the materials involved. Some of them are questionable. But without knowing what kind of purification processes you do- I can't recommend one over another.

So how about this- why not tell me what contaminated your deck to begin with?

Just basic use. I let people shuffle the cards themselves so they get pretty 'heavy' and sluggish feeling to me. I like to cleanse them anually to get rid of the residual energy and the previous method I was using had worked- but I always start sneezing.
I'd suppose the path I'm closest to is Kemetic although I haven't decided on whether I want to take the KO's course or not.

The only thing cleansing-wise I have objection to is anything with a strong smell (Like incense) or burying them because I have nowhere to bury them.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:55 am
CilverCyanide
Just basic use. I let people shuffle the cards themselves so they get pretty 'heavy' and sluggish feeling to me.
If other people contaminate your cards by touching them, why do you let them do it?

Quote:
The only thing cleansing-wise I have objection to is anything with a strong smell (Like incense) or burying them because I have nowhere to bury them.
Is the lack of a place to bury them the only thing that is keeping you from doing it?

Okay- since there is no context to work from, let's work backwards.
The act in question is purification. Traditionally you did this with smoke. Why do you think smoke is purifying?  

TeaDidikai

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:20 am
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

I have a Cat Tarot deck that I received from my Best Friend upon her death. I believe it is waiting for the next person to go to.
Which one?

Ah.... it is figures as cats, and the art style is pointalism. I'm not sure of the full name of it,t hough it might be, "The Tarot of the Cat People."

That was actually my first tarot deck until it got stolen. I really liked it though at the time when I had it, I did not understand tarot or how it would play in helping me understand my path. I received the Zerner-Farber deck as a gift from a friend back in Louisiana. I find some of the symbolism used in kind of confusing but at least I have an understanding of the a good bit of the non-pictorial symbols within my tradition to understand to get the gist of what's being communicated. I think I was not the intended audience the artists in mind ninja .  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:55 pm
I have the Sacred Rose deck, as well as a manga-themed one. They are both, I think, considered 'normal'. My mom has one though (I'm not sure what the deck is called) which is slightly different. It has the same number of cards, but it has different names for a few of the major arcana and it says "disks" instead of "pentacles".  

Bara no Uta

6,150 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100

Nines19

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:07 pm
I'm trying my limited artistry at creating (at least designs for) a set of cards. Currently they're to be based off the "ordinary" Rider-Waite Tarot format, though perhaps with different names and visuals, and follow a Western theme. ("Western" in the sense of old Clint Eastwood movies.)
I'll let everyone know how they turn out.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:02 pm
I have the Nathalie Hertz Vampire Tarot deck. I keep it in a box with some stones and have been using it for years.  

Bohemian Oz

Lavish Flatterer

redtearsblackwings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:59 am
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings

I'd recommend working with a deck like the Robin Wood, and using a journaling system to memorize core concepts for each card.

Okay I'll have to go and have a look for it. Also see what kind of prices that are around.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff