Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Praeclaris Digital Mentor Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:06 pm
praeclaris
@Tirael - go for it smile

Slow As Christmas
Aaah, I was wondering what was meant by the colors... the more I think about it the more I think I might understand it.

May we use white at all or would you prefer we stick to just two of the colors?

And to clarify - this may seem a little "duh" but.... you want us to use only two colors just different 'shades' of those colors to make a rounded picture?

Not just two colors, I want you guys to start color picking you're own colors. You see how there's two base colors, an orange yellow skin color, and a cool shadow color? On the edge of the shadow to cool, there is a patch of saturated reds and oranges along the form, this is a commonly used way of painting shadows, and I want you to paint from a RANGE of light warm colors, from yellow to orange to red, to cool light colors light blue, purple, and greens. But I want you to leave the shadows one flat tone. Shadows wash out details, this creates a rather cool effect, but also, it helps with your shape design of shadows.

Don't worry, I'm planning to post a step by step coloring process.
User Image
So, like this?

Warm light, cool shadow? Warm light and warm object cooler shadow? And vice versa?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:07 pm
i figured out how to change my tablet pen nib. unfortunately, both my pens, whether with their respective new nibs or old nibs, are now either wildly hypersensitive, or not responding at all. the only way i can use it now is if i draw with it about an inch off the surface of the tablet in sai. gimp is different; i'll see what i can do there...but at the moment gimp is crashing due to something else I tried to patch on top of it, lol.

sad

tl;dr: tablet is effectively broken.
high time i looked for a new tablet anyway, i'm going to see what i can afford (nothing at the moment but will start saving now).

wild mindset shift. sorry praeclaris - this may mean my assignment is late, absent, or very poor quality...i'll try! was actually trying to draw a 'dynamic pose' when it happened..  

Elsiane

5,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:53 am
I was ill this weekend, so it will be late. Sorry. I'll try and have it up as early as possible.

Edit:

Aaaand I have a huge deadline at the end of this next week. But don't worry, I haven't forgotten.

Edit again:

Will have these done this weekend. I can see you're busy yourself, but I hope it's not a problem.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:32 am
ah forgive me but - i have had some unexpected family issues come up that will not be going away anytime soon.
As a result i have to withdraw my mentee-ship as I cannot devote enough time to drawing right now and my family must take priorty over it.

I regret I was only able to do one lesson; you were an excellent mentor and I really hate that I cannot learn from you. Thank you for take the time anyway. heart
*pounces and hugglies*  

Rags of Ash

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:30 pm
I have been SO busy. Sorry.

Here is my lineart.

It's a big one.

I'll get to work on the next part. I'm not exactly sure what to do, but I'll figure it out.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:30 pm
Edit: Just read the part about only taking in 3 people at a time.

Name : Chris
Experience : amateur, at one point talented youth
Programs PS CS4
Equipment : WACOM Bamboo MTE450 (link)
What you want to work on : Anything and everything. While I realize this is a very broad answer, if I am too truly develop my artistic abilities I will need to work on multiple facets of art including some basic foundations, rendering, anatomy etc.
How often you're online : Frequently, easy to reach after work hours (8 am to 4pm central)
OtherNotes: Unfortunately throughout most of my life my family has always discouraged me from developing my artistic talents in favor of academic prowess. When I was much younger I was incredibly gifted, but these talents I once had have been horribly neglected.What I now lack in artistic talent I make up for in drive and dedication. I would be honored to be able to learn under an experienced artist such as yourself, under your guidance and knowledge surely my artistic ability would blossom.
Your DA gallery, or a Timeline of artwork : Link, note this is rather dated. Back when I was interested in flash which was many years ago. Here is some lineart that I am working on right now just to get a better understanding of basic rendering, although at the moment ive only had time to flat it

User Image.

Many thanks for your time and consideration.  

PirateChris

Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces