Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
The Best of British History Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spatterdash

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:55 am
50ny4
The Victorian Age
and that is because: brilliant outfits, as i hear the best tea party's. eloquent, and we ruled like a lot of the world (that was so bloody brilliant and i hold it over my American friends when we get into debates about British and American history)

more details as soon as brainhurtz dies down (that may take a while...damn bloody school!!

Indeed. The Victorian era is my favourite too. That and the first half of the 20th century. And the 1980s, come to think of it, though they don't really count as history.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:04 pm
Spatterdash
And the 1980s, come to think of it, though they don't really count as history.

That's a rare response, why the 1980's? I can only think of Adam Ant, Argentina and Thatcher.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Spatterdash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:58 am
Invictus_88
Spatterdash

That's a rare response, why the 1980's? I can only think of Adam Ant, Argentina and Thatcher.

Most of my favourite bands and TV programmes come from the 1980s. The Smiths, Joy Division, the Dead Kennedys, Madness, The Specials, The Cure, Michael Jackson at his best, and Adam Ant when I've had a few drinks, are all some of my favourites. As for TV, I'm very fond of the Young Ones, Spitting Image, Blackadder and (the legend) the A-Team. Even though I wasn't alive except for the last 8 months or so of the 1980s.

Of course, I bet actually living in it was rubbish, what with yuppies, Thatcher, awful fashion sense and strikes all the time, but I rather like the decent bits of it that survived.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:19 am
Spatterdash
Invictus_88
Spatterdash

Most of my favourite bands and TV programmes come from the 1980s. The Smiths, Joy Division, the Dead Kennedys, Madness, The Specials, The Cure, Michael Jackson at his best, and Adam Ant when I've had a few drinks, are all some of my favourites. As for TV, I'm very fond of the Young Ones, Spitting Image, Blackadder and (the legend) the A-Team. Even though I wasn't alive except for the last 8 months or so of the 1980s.

Of course, I bet actually living in it was rubbish, what with yuppies, Thatcher, awful fashion sense and strikes all the time, but I rather like the decent bits of it that survived.

To be honest, the eighties weren't -all- that bad. There was still a certain charming innocence in many ways in the first part of that decade...and then of course, it all went rather downhill with the whole "AIDS epidemic panic"...All in all though, I'd go back to the eighties...Ed the Duck, Gordon the Gopher, Andy Crane and the iron quiff....The carefree days before credit card bills and council tax for me. :/

Now I get nostalgic? Geez... eek  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:01 pm
Gordon the Gopher! eek

I'd forgotten all about him for the last ten years, and now I recall! I even had a cuddly version I carried around with me..

..bloody hell, that seems like a while ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:40 pm
Edd the Duck! Egad! Now I can remember him from the vague fog of my 90s childhood, inhabiting a broom cupboard with Andi Peters. Oh, those were the days - Playdays every morning, and sitting down in the afternoon to watch Maid Marian and her Merry Men despite not being old enough to really get. Still a classic series, though.  

Spatterdash

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:06 pm
I'd have to say that 90 pwned the 80s, by far. >_> I don't really see what's so appealing aboutt he 80s.

Of course I'm a 90s child... Ahhh... the days when mainstream radio was still decent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:31 am
The best point In British history could be any one of the many times we kicked the s**t out the French.

INGERLUND, INGERLUND, INGERLUND.  

Rev.Matt

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:41 pm
Rev.Matt
The best point In British history could be any one of the many times we kicked the s**t out the French.

Haha, too many to mention..  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:52 pm
Invictus_88
Rev.Matt

ninja ~Is part french... Prepares to be lynched.~  

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:19 pm
Timeless Visage
Invictus_88
Rev.Matt

Really?

I thought I was the only one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:35 pm
Spatterdash
Edd the Duck! Egad! Now I can remember him from the vague fog of my 90s childhood, inhabiting a broom cupboard with Andi Peters. Oh, those were the days - Playdays every morning, and sitting down in the afternoon to watch Maid Marian and her Merry Men despite not being old enough to really get. Still a classic series, though.

Dear God I love Maid Marian and her Merry Men! As a child I was a little obsessed with robin hood, but being a girl I realised that my chances of becoming him were slim...but then Maid Marian came on and I found an idol I could really aspire to.

Several months of archery lessons, growing my hair and wearing too much green haven't seemed to do the trick so far though. I need to find myself a forest, a tyrant, a village of mud and turnip fetishests and a band of hapless, happy hommes.

Dammit, that reminds me- I'M BIDDING FOR THAT VIDEO ON EBAY!!

*Runs off*  

ficklefiend
Crew

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:34 pm
Invictus_88
Timeless Visage
Invictus_88
Rev.Matt

Really?

I thought I was the only one.

Nope.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:58 am
ficklefiend
Spatterdash

Dear God I love Maid Marian and her Merry Men! As a child I was a little obsessed with robin hood, but being a girl I realised that my chances of becoming him were slim...but then Maid Marian came on and I found an idol I could really aspire to.

Several months of archery lessons, growing my hair and wearing too much green haven't seemed to do the trick so far though. I need to find myself a forest, a tyrant, a village of mud and turnip fetishests and a band of hapless, happy hommes.

Dammit, that reminds me- I'M BIDDING FOR THAT VIDEO ON EBAY!!

*Runs off*

I've heard it's coming out on DVD some time this year. Of course, I heard it on IMDB message boards, so it might not be entirely accurate.  

Spatterdash

Theta_Sigma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:53 pm
Britain is a marvellous country, full of fantastic people, past and present, and a great history. But in my opinion, apart from winning World War 2 with dear Winston Churchill, the best historical even?
November 23rd 1963User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Need I say more?  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces