Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Cirenes || [ closed; too busy ] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sporknotes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:54 am
Okay, I actually read your about me section because I always read that kind of stuff in EVERY THREAD. But I saw this:
Quote:
I'm 19 years old, and I go to a liberal arts college hoping to major in psychology on the track for cognitive neuroscience.

I just want to say that's pretty much where I want to be 3 years -- at a LAC and possibly majoring in psychology.

Sorry, that was completely unrelated to art. I'm definitely interested in signing up but I need to draw something that is not a chibi and somewhat decent first. xD  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:26 am
@roxas-someones half: Mmm... ^^; I'm really sorry to say this, but I only take people with more than beginner experience... I don't think my advice would be very helpful to someone who just wants to learn overall drawing either... ><; So sorry!

@sporknotes: Ooh, nice. biggrin Good luck!  

Cirenes

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:59 am
Name: nighthsade29
Samples: [x] [x] I also have a picture that I drew recently , which is much better than these samples. I will hopefully get it up soon.
Years of experience: Around two years
What you want to learn/improve on: Coloring , eyes , poses , hair , expressions and shading.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:16 am
Name: c00ki3/ hui tian
Samples: deviantart gallery
Years of experience: 4 years
What you want to learn/improve on: human anatomy (I suck at fullbody and action poses), background, drapery, inking

I don't have a tablet, so expect drawings to be traditionally done. I'm currently focusing on human anatomy now, so WIPs will probably be copies of anatomical books. Feel free to give me any assignments though. I may be busy come submission week, but I should be free for the next two months. : )  

c00ki3

Laila Izuka

Agile Paladin

13,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:42 am
Name: Laila Izuka
Samples: http://www.lailaizuka.deviantart.com
Years of experience: A couple of years, but I've really picked up drawing in the last year.
What you want to learn/improve on: Poses and cell shading. I made a more detailed thread here that has what I mainly need help with :3

I won't be back home until either next week, or the week after that. So I won't be able to post any art until then. But I do have a sketchbook with me, so I can practice poses.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:29 pm
I know that it's a huuuge chance that you've already picked one of these lovlies up there heart But- just in case.... or - if a spot opens....

Name: Ash
Samples: [x] and My DA
Years of Experience: No formal training but I've drawn since I was tiny.
What you want to learn/improve on: coloring with SAI (just got it like... two months ago) and anatomy. As well as dynamic poses and making things flow. It seems I have a real issue with my peices looking like a roll of the dice in terms of composition.  

Rags of Ash

Cirenes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:49 pm
Laila Izuka
Name: Laila Izuka
Samples: http://www.lailaizuka.deviantart.com
Years of experience: A couple of years, but I've really picked up drawing in the last year.
What you want to learn/improve on: Poses and cell shading. I made a more detailed thread here that has what I mainly need help with :3

I won't be back home until either next week, or the week after that. So I won't be able to post any art until then. But I do have a sketchbook with me, so I can practice poses.

I think I can help. :> Since I was away for a long time, your mentoring session will be 8/2~9/12, if that's okay with you. ^^ You can go ahead and post a WIP or something, and comment on what you like/don't like/need help with, when you have the time. <3

@nightshade29: ^^; My advice might not be very useful at this point (I don't remember how I taught myself before intermediate level) but thank you for applying!

@c00ki3: I think you're already way above my level. xD

Anatomy comes with practice, I think. If you're a keen observer, just look at people walking on the street. You'll probably be able to pick up the nuts and bolts rather quickly if you just stare at human proportions. :3

Backgrounds - see any inspiring scenery lately? I think you'll be fine especially since you're doing traditional; if you spend a lot of time putting down the details, you'll get some amazing backgrounds done. I used to love backgrounding myself (and still do) but don't have the time anymore to put real effort into them. Also, if you try to make complete scenes, backgrounds tend to compliment the characters in it. I suggest looking at Shel-Yang's work for nice scene compositions. <333 (she's one of my idols <3)

Drapery - Again, details. Drawing in the folds with ink works better than trying to make the folds appear via shading/coloring. :>

Inking - I use a very thin pen tool (0.6) for my linearts. Of course, emphasizing certain points help flesh out the image. General tips re-posted below. <3
Quote:

Here's part of a 10-pointer "tutorial" WIP that I'm writing on and off.
(Below, most important point: Hair shape is determined by the lines moreso than the shading. See circled areas. :3)
User Image

(Below, just some tips on making pretty lineart with depth. xD See circled area: darkening corners in some places for an effect.)
User Image

I'm honored you applied, though! Thank you! ;w;

@Slow As Christmas: I think you're also way above my skill level. xDD I'm sure you'll pick up SAI quickly (its paintbrush/watercolor blending is so epic--you'll be hooked heart ) and anatomy is something I'm a little iffy with myself. ^^; Thanks so much for applying, though! >w<  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:19 pm
Cirenes:

Hahaha, you're way too modest!~ : D

But thanks for all the advice! I've been poring over anatomy books and copiously sneaking glances at people, but as you said, anatomy comes with practice. Gonna do lots and lots of that.

Oooh, Shel-yang~ She's one of my idols as well. Crazy backgrounds and compositions!

Once again, thanks for the advice~  

c00ki3

Laila Izuka

Agile Paladin

13,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:34 pm
Cirenes - I don't have anything at the time since I'm not home '^-^, I'll be staying at my mom's for about another week (maybe even longer). So I won't be able to post any WIPs or anything D:, my mom doesn't have a scanner. And all my programs are back home. Though you can go ahead and let someone else go ahead of me :3. Or just give me tips or something until I get back home.

I'll be busy filling out job apps and stuff, plus I'm going to be busy gathering information about school. But if you think you can teach me without me posting any WIP's, then you can take me as your mentee :3  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:58 am
Cirenes: lol , okay. Thank you anyway!  

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Cirenes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:35 pm
@c00ki3: >w< No prob, anytime. <3

@Laila Izuka: ^^; In that case, I suppose I'll just reopen the slot. I don't know how to give advice without specific WIP help, and general advice is available anywhere on the net... xD Thanks for applying, though. And good luck with your job/school hunt!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:38 am
8/29

*Still open to one mentee, under the condition that my free time is now severely limited, and responses may be slow. ^^; But I still want to help people improve if possible~ :3

*Also, please do keep in mind that I don't take beginners.
I teach intermediate and up only, because when I was a complete beginner, I did fine just looking at tutorials and observing the world around me. I feel like my advice would be a million times more meaningful to people who can already draw to some extent, is accustomed to drawing the human form, have established to some extent an anime style, etc. I apologize again to any beginners who applied in the past. ><;

/one very long bump. razz  

Cirenes

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:31 am
Name: YellowHBPencil
Samples:
Sketches
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/YellowHBPencil/WIPAelita0001.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/YellowHBPencil/WIPDeepthoughtz0001.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/YellowHBPencil/WIPNaomi0001.jpg
Color
http://yellowpencil.deviantart.com/art/RO-Bait-128560605
http://yellowpencil.deviantart.com/art/Lampy-122619914
Years of experience: Uhhhh. Hrmmmm. Yeah I think I have a lot of experience. It was ever since I made a deviantart account. Almost two years hahaha;; But I don't think I'm a beginner because I definitely have SOME sort of form. :'0 And this weird anime style(gigantic head XD). I think I'm stuck; hopefully I'll ease out of it sooner or later ): Can I use my sketch samples as the WIPs for you to critique? I drew them just yesterday. :'0 The color samples are from months ago. I'm pretty sure I color the same way. If not, it'll just be a little different. My coloring barely ever changes. I use SAI PaintTool, though. XD Oh and my post time is pretty late because I am up late. 0_0 I live in the EST (GMT -5:00 US & Canada) time zone. XD
What you want to learn/improve on:
- different face angles
- facial expressions
- more detailed hair
- hand poses and fingers
- smaller heads
- clothing folds and wrinkles
- drawing smaller heads XD
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:41 pm
Hello, sorry for the inactivity.

My classes have begun, and I have realized that I don't have the time for this anymore. sad To be honest, I'm not sure if I'll ever have time for this again, but if I do, I'll ask for it to be unlocked.

Thanks for your interest, and sorry. OTL
I hope to have this locked soon.  

Cirenes

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:50 pm
Oh, that's okay :'0

Please don't feel guilty at all because you are not at fault~ whee
Good luck with your classes! heart  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff