Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild
The rise and fall of William Shatner. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:57 am
Nerthus_water_nymph
xXSuperWhateverXx
@Nerthus_water_nymph.

Yeah I've heard about the wedding and seen the roast. I also agree with you on the feud. There is no way Takei hates Shatner if he gave him that hug on the roast. Although, I think we can agree that he may not like Shatner much. A lot of the people who worked with him found him difficult to work with. The only people on TOS who didn't have any difficulty working with him were Kelley and Nimoy.

I agree with you that he's hard to work with you can see it through his own words in the book Star Trek Movie Memories. I haven't read all the way through it yet, I've just skimmed it, I'm going to read it after my psychology final.

Yeah, I've also gone on his Youtube channel. I've seen the videos of him talking about the feud with Takei, and the wedding. People in the comments have speculated the following, with most of the cast of TOS:

*They hated his guts because he was difficult to work with
*Jealous of his success
*Takei possibly had a crush on Shatner
*Takei bashing Shatner to get Media attention

I think that's it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:07 pm
I don't fully see it as Takei bashing Shatner, more often than not when Takei says something that could be seen as malicious towards Shatner someone else said it before him and he rolled with it or he over dramatized it to the point its funny kinda like you can talk about your family in frustration from being around them for too long and still love them  

Nerthus_water_nymph

5,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:49 pm
Oh yeah, that's true.
I think that some of them in TOS damaged their careers after it. Not because of being type-casted but, because Shatner may have hogged the spotlight. Well, that's what I heard anyway..  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:07 pm
xXSuperWhateverXx
Oh yeah, that's true.
I think that some of them in TOS damaged their careers after it. Not because of being type-casted but, because Shatner may have hogged the spotlight. Well, that's what I heard anyway..
Which is really sad, because ol' Bill was easily the worst actor on the show. (Except maybe Doohan. That accent was terrible.)  

MasterfulChaos

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:17 pm
Ridley Wolf
xXSuperWhateverXx
Oh yeah, that's true.
Which is really sad, because ol' Bill was easily the worst actor on the show. (Except maybe Doohan. That accent was terrible.)

Oh don't start talking about Doohan like that! Shatner is much worse then him! At least Doohan can have his characters talk in full sentences!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:33 pm
Shatner stated in his biography on the Bio channel that at first he didn't realize that he was speaking oddly, it wasn't till many years later did he figure it out. I think he dose it now as a trademark thing kinda like Owen Wilson and his nose.  

Nerthus_water_nymph

5,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:57 pm
Nerthus_water_nymph
Shatner stated in his biography on the Bio channel that at first he didn't realize that he was speaking oddly, it wasn't till many years later did he figure it out. I think he dose it now as a trademark thing kinda like Owen Wilson and his nose.

Yeah, sometimes you can hardly notice speech patterns and stuff until you actually listen to it.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:25 pm
Ridley Wolf
xXSuperWhateverXx
Oh yeah, that's true.

The accent wasn't great, but he delivered his lines believably, and that's good enough.  

Matt Pniewski

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:35 pm
Matt Pniewski
Ridley Wolf
xXSuperWhateverXx
Oh yeah, that's true.

The accent wasn't great, but he delivered his lines believably, and that's good enough.

Yeah I know.
I also heard that he was the only living (at the time) cast member to not lend his voice to that Futurama episode "Where No Fan Has Gone Before."
I wonder why?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:09 pm
No one really knows but its been speculated that he didn't like the idea of taking part in something that was a spoof of Star Trek.  

Nerthus_water_nymph

5,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:34 am
Nerthus_water_nymph
No one really knows but its been speculated that he didn't like the idea of taking part in something that was a spoof of Star Trek.

Yeah, that's true.

With or without him, the episode was still really good.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:56 pm
yeah, i'm going to have to look that one up later and re-watch it  

Nerthus_water_nymph

5,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:57 pm
Nerthus_water_nymph

It might have also been because he was eighty and wanted to stay out of the studio..... That makes a bit more sense.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:45 pm
Matt Pniewski
Nerthus_water_nymph

It might have also been because he was eighty and wanted to stay out of the studio..... That makes a bit more sense.

Yeah, the guy probably wanted to relax, and enjoy his final years.
I've also heard that, he has had alzheimers a little while before he died.
Maybe he wasn't well enough to go?  

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Nerthus_water_nymph

5,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:47 pm