Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Designated Fox Hunting Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:08 am
SiX sHaDes oF hElL
Invictus_88
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/vote/2006vote/vote_index.shtml

biggrin

Oh honestly.
I tend to think it's our fault fox numbers are so high. After all, we did take over their habitat.
We have a fox down our road, which we feed. So it doesn't rip open bin bags.

Taking over a species' habitat tends to have an inverse effect on the population. Numbers aren't drastically high, either. Indeed, it seems than in line with the usual ebb and flow of population, the population has actually dropped a little since the ban.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:46 am
Foetus In Fetu
Reposted from Great (?) British Laws.

ice_illusion
But foxes are not innocent and they hunt for fun too. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to the duck heads in my mothers freezer. (I'm sure theres a sane reason).

Most definitions of 'innocent' generally encompass those who have no sense of moral right or wrong; in that sense, foxes would be innocent. Either way, I don't think you can practise eye-for-eye here.

Ok but I was meaning a different shade of innocent. Foxes are pretty smart. I tend to think humans aren't as special as we make out, I wouldn't say that a fox could tell it was wrong but I do think it could tell it was fun/rewarding and so kill more than necessary.
Their intellegence does go both ways. If they HAVE to be controlled it should be in the least cruel way. I'm not going to claim I know enough about hunting to say what's best.

SiX sHaDes oF hElL
Invictus_88

biggrin

Oh honestly.
I tend to think it's our fault fox numbers are so high. After all, we did take over their habitat.

gonk You feed the fox! Townies. Why do you think the fox lives down your road? And the bin bags should be kept more securely.
No wonder they get so cheeky.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

SiX sHaDes oF hElL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:35 am
ice_illusion
Foetus In Fetu
Reposted from Great (?) British Laws.

ice_illusion
But foxes are not innocent and they hunt for fun too. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to the duck heads in my mothers freezer. (I'm sure theres a sane reason).

Most definitions of 'innocent' generally encompass those who have no sense of moral right or wrong; in that sense, foxes would be innocent. Either way, I don't think you can practise eye-for-eye here.

Ok but I was meaning a different shade of innocent. Foxes are pretty smart. I tend to think humans aren't as special as we make out, I wouldn't say that a fox could tell it was wrong but I do think it could tell it was fun/rewarding and so kill more than necessary.
Their intellegence does go both ways. If they HAVE to be controlled it should be in the least cruel way. I'm not going to claim I know enough about hunting to say what's best.

SiX sHaDes oF hElL
Invictus_88

biggrin

Oh honestly.

gonk You feed the fox! Townies. Why do you think the fox lives down your road? And the bin bags should be kept more securely.
No wonder they get so cheeky.

Townie? I resent that!
I tend to think that seeing as foxes are scavengers, that they would get food from somewhere else anyway. What is so bad about the fox anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:50 pm
SiX sHaDes oF hElL
Townie? I resent that!
I tend to think that seeing as foxes are scavengers, that they would get food from somewhere else anyway. What is so bad about the fox anyway?

Townie in the sense as not from the country. Sorry, I'm not calling you a chav, I forgot there was that use.

-sorry anyone who has already heard, I'm still bitter about Martina-

Foxes are naturally hunters. Which is fine until they start eating your pet ducks and chickens (I'm not so bothered about the hens, they are vile creatures) and then it gets sad. I can put up with it so long as they don't have any other choice.
When they go on a killing spree and murder somewhere around 18 ducks, leaving most of them lying around, (it's not possible for one fox to eat 18 ducks killed at one point, unless they use a fridge) you fall out with the fox.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:46 pm
But they're so cute.

User Image

Argumentum ad Pokémon.

That's not a fox that a [that thing which evolves into Ninetails whose name temporarily eludes me].
EDITbyFiF: I did not write the above (emboldened). Some idiot obviously pressed 'edit' rather than 'quote' - I'm looking at you, LoS. It's a Vulpix: a fox pokémon.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:06 am
Foetus In Fetu
But they're so cute.

User Image

Argumentum ad Pokémon.

xD  

Invictus_88
Captain

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:58 am
Awww.

And, Hitler killed foxes.

You don't want to be like Hitler, do you? gonk  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:58 pm
If they are cause difficulties by all means employ population control.

Don't however, use it as sport. Just because we are the dominant species it doesn't mean we have to be such bad sports about it.  

Deo_Machina

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:58 am
Deo_Machina
If they are cause difficulties by all means employ population control.

Don't however, use it as sport. Just because we are the dominant species it doesn't mean we have to be such bad sports about it.

On the contrary, I don't have a problem with sport at all. However, sporting sport (like fox hunting, or big game hunting) is to my mind a more noble pursuit than unsporting sport (machinegunning deer or shooting commercial pheasant).

With fox hunting, provided it fulfils its purpose, that people may enjoy it is of no consequence.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:24 pm
If, say, the fox population is really too high, is it really morally right for a bunch of posh nobles to ride through to the country with a pack of baying hounds, scaring the poor fox out of its wits?
I do agree, however, that we need to get rid of foxes somehow. Only the other day a group of foxes broke into a house and tried to eat a baby.

Midnight Jasp

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:47 pm
Is it right to denigrate hunting by pretending that they're 'posh nobles' rather than perfectly normal people?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:33 am
They are perfectly normal people, unfortunately this means they have their fair share of ******** like any other group. Im not opposed to fox hunting, they do need to be controlled. There are less showy and disruptive ways of doing it though, a lamp, a rifle and a little patience is in my opinion better than a team of 100 people barrelling across the countryside after one small fox. When you've witnessed 4 people all balanced on the same quad bike, tearing down country lanes holding CLOSED shotguns across their knees you quickly lose all respect for the sport. They give the countryside a bad name, its no wonder there is such a low opinion of country sports. My Partner was a gamekeeper on a large pheasant shoot, one fox can take out hundreds of birds in one night, he didnt ride with the hunt he sat out night after night instead.  

anjelkake

The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games