Just a bit.
  No.
View Results

Miral Paris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:54 pm
Matt Pniewski
Dust Dancer
Miral Paris
Ugh, the advertising. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. The bar scene was lame, too.

The academy scenes really pissed me off. Isn't Bones supposed to be significantly older than Kirk and Spock? Around a decade or so? If so, he shouldn't be a pupil at Starfleet Academy.

I heard somewhere that they went ahead with Spock/Uhura for two reasons. Firstly, the writers wanted to "experiment" with a love triangle involving Kirk and Spock (which has been explored in the novels before). Secondly, it was an attempt to shut all the Kirk/Spock fans up. I never appreciated all the K/S stuff either, but this makes the writers come off as homophobes. It's really immature. People should be allowed their own opinions, and it shouldn't be up to these people to dispel those opinions.

Does anyone besides me ship Scotty/Uhura?

You don't have to be young to enlist in Starfleet do you? He joined Starfleet after a divorce, which was also part of the reason why he joined Starfleet in the original timeline (random question: are there names to distinguish between the original and "alternate" timeline introduced in Star Trek XI yet?), so that is correct. Also, they never specified his age in the movie, but I when watching, I got the feeling that he was like an older brother to Spock and Kirk, not quite on the same level, but they can still mess with him playfully. Just like in TOS.

Well, yeah, he was ALWAYS much older. He was a Doctor on Earth before joining Starfleet. I'd have to look up his exact age. But he had some years on them, BECAUSE he joined Starfleet later in life

Quote:
And with the whole "shutting K/S fans up" thing, I think it was in vain. I agree, it did seem homophobic. It also got non-slash fans going "Huh?" too.

I really don't think it matters at this point. Fan pairings will always exist. I overlook Kirk/Spock as long as I have my Scotty/MRess.

"Primeverse" and "Neroverse" are the most popular, I think.

When was it revealed that Bones joined Starfleet after a divorce? Was it the Neroverse scene with Kirk and Bones in the transport shuttle on their way to the Enterprise?

I didn't pay attention to the new film that much, since I really hated it. So pardon me if I don't have all my Neroverse facts straight.

All the stuff you said about the Primeverse Bones I already knew, thanks.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:37 pm
Miral Paris
Matt Pniewski
Dust Dancer
Miral Paris

The academy scenes really pissed me off. Isn't Bones supposed to be significantly older than Kirk and Spock? Around a decade or so? If so, he shouldn't be a pupil at Starfleet Academy.

I heard somewhere that they went ahead with Spock/Uhura for two reasons. Firstly, the writers wanted to "experiment" with a love triangle involving Kirk and Spock (which has been explored in the novels before). Secondly, it was an attempt to shut all the Kirk/Spock fans up. I never appreciated all the K/S stuff either, but this makes the writers come off as homophobes. It's really immature. People should be allowed their own opinions, and it shouldn't be up to these people to dispel those opinions.

You don't have to be young to enlist in Starfleet do you? He joined Starfleet after a divorce, which was also part of the reason why he joined Starfleet in the original timeline (random question: are there names to distinguish between the original and "alternate" timeline introduced in Star Trek XI yet?), so that is correct. Also, they never specified his age in the movie, but I when watching, I got the feeling that he was like an older brother to Spock and Kirk, not quite on the same level, but they can still mess with him playfully. Just like in TOS.

Well, yeah, he was ALWAYS much older. He was a Doctor on Earth before joining Starfleet. I'd have to look up his exact age. But he had some years on them, BECAUSE he joined Starfleet later in life

Quote:
And with the whole "shutting K/S fans up" thing, I think it was in vain. I agree, it did seem homophobic. It also got non-slash fans going "Huh?" too.

I really don't think it matters at this point. Fan pairings will always exist. I overlook Kirk/Spock as long as I have my Scotty/MRess.

When was it revealed that Bones joined Starfleet after a divorce? Was it the Neroverse scene with Kirk and Bones in the transport shuttle on their way to the Enterprise?

Yep.

Quote:
I didn't pay attention to the new film that much, since I really hated it. So pardon me if I don't have all my Neroverse facts straight.

I'm not on the side of the people who think it was the greatest film in the series, in fact, I think that it was a fluke that I liked it, because Kurtzman, Orci, and Abrams are cinematic poison.

I've heard it called "NuTrek".

It doesn't matter. People are going to forget how the timelines work anyway, after a while.  

Matt Pniewski

Miral Paris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:58 pm
Matt Pniewski
Miral Paris
Matt Pniewski
Dust Dancer
Miral Paris

Quote:

Yep.

Quote:

I'm not on the side of the people who think it was the greatest film in the series, in fact, I think that it was a fluke that I liked it, because Kurtzman, Orci, and Abrams are cinematic poison.

I've heard it called "NuTrek".

It doesn't matter. People are going to forget how the timelines work anyway, after a while.

Actually, that's what I'm worried about. Newcomers to Star Trek might think that stuff from the Neroverse canon is Primeverse canon as well.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:16 am
I thought the movie was brilliant and I think I can consider it to be one of the best if not the best Star Trek movie ever made. I dont think it spoils any of the original Trek (which is awesome)! 3nodding

The cast was great; the actors couldnt have been better!
I am looking forward to the next one; J J did a great great job.

Live long and prosper!!  

Aria Hikari

7,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

AndyX

6,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:19 am
haven't seen it yet, will probably buy it when it comes to dvd. watch it once and then let it sit on the shelf with the rest of my dvds

i've seen pics of the movie enterprise, anyone else think it looks (least from the side) more like an ambassador class? as opposed to a constitution class  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:49 am
I heard the movie is actually back in theatres in IMAX. But it's only for two weeks, so if you want to see it again, you should catch it before it's out of theatres again.

Personally, I thought the movie worked as a summer blockbuster, but not so much as a true Star Trek movie. There were a lot of things that I thought were not faithful to the spirit of Star Trek. Kirk's character in particular bothered me. I thought Zachary Quinto and Karl Urban were great, though.  

Lindira
Crew

Peter_Underoos_Parker

Newbie Genius

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:08 pm
{The doctor is [IN]}

Aw, hell.
I really liked it.
I think the subtle differences between the universes were clearly defined,
so the golden classic can stay separate from this brazen new thing they're working up,
without either of them tangling too much or generating too much dissonance.

It gives me a kind of nostalgic reverence for the original Star Trek.
But I like the energy and devil-may-care of the new guys also.

The original Star Trek gradually pulled you into the story, while with this new movie, you were there as it started.
It was a well-orchestrated blending of the generations.

And I thought Kirk's character was epic.
They just translated prime(?)Kirk's personality into this generation's language, I felt.
He's always been a spazzfail kind of awesome.

PrimeKirk was generally on the inside pushing boundaries outward to act on his beliefs.
And NuKirk worked from the outside to get in, to act on his beliefs.
Relatively symbolic in terms of alternate universes.

/End Fawning. XD

The Spock/Uhura thing did freak me out a little.

{The doctor is [OUT]}

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:09 pm
Well I wish they could have atleast addressed the issue homophobia.
That's the one thing that Star Trek hasn't addressed. When I saw the Spock/Uhura thing I didn't mind it at all but, the racial barrier has already been broken. It's the same-sex barrier that needs to go too.

In the fifth season [of Star Trek: The Next Generation] viewers will see more of shipboard life [including] gay crew members in day-to-day circumstances." - Gene Roddenberry, to The Advocate, 1991

When he died that promise was never fulfilled.

There is a petiton below that the producers, directors, and the writers for the new star trek movie to address the issue of homophobia

http://seetreklove.com/petition.php  

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

piper_lovegood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:28 pm
The movie is what gave Bill(my fianccee that made me a Trekkie) a fighting chance to convert me I was in denial but the movie motivated me to give the old stuff a chance. I fell in love after 3 episodes of DS9 and the wrath of Khann. Now I'm trying to watch the whole franchise to catch up with him or at least be able to talk to him about stuff with out sounding like a noob.

As for the movie itself I loved it one of my favorite parts was seeing young Spock beat the snot out of those Vulcan bullies.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:39 pm
I saw it. Twice. In Theaters.
BECAUSE I LOVED IT!!!!!!  

Lumanny the Space Jew

Blessed Poster

Nerthus_water_nymph

5,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:20 am
I loved the new movie but the Spock/Uhura relationship thing bugged me a bit. If Spock feel in love with any one I would have rather had Nurse Chapel or they could've introduced T'Pring minus the Stonn situation. However, the new movie is far from my favorite Star Trek movie. Star Trek 2 through 4 (they flow right after each other so I treat them as one movie) in my opinion are my favorites.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:54 pm
Lumanny the Space Jew
I saw it. Twice. In Theaters.
BECAUSE I LOVED IT!!!!!!

Same here!
And I've watched it about fifty times since getting the DVD.
I can quote the entire movie from beginning to end at the drop of a hat biggrin  

larxene 12

4,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Nesting Comments

8,600 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:29 pm
I loved this so much. Seriously. You may wish to back away now, I sense a squee coming on. lol

It's been ages since I've adored a movie as much as I enjoyed this. I actually got the DVD for Christmas. I watched it that night and immediately after I watched it with the commentary on. A couple days ago I was loading the digital copy to my iPod and ended up watching the first twenty minutes before I finally pulled myself away. xd

So, my thoughts on specific things (long and rambley post is long and rambley):

wahmbulance SPOILERS ABOUND wahmbulance

First off, the music in the movie was killer. Very, very nice.

Anyways, I really liked how they started the movie off. I hadn't seen any pictures of the actors, so when Robau made "Kirk" the captain, I thought it was Jim. Anyways, really sad, but also totally awesome.

I adored the past!Spock moments. You knew he had to be such a kick a** little eight year old. Plus, I loved how he turned down the Vulcan Academy because they insulted his mama. He may have said "Live long and prosper", but it totally came out as "Go die in a fire."

I also liked how they introduced older!Jim into the film. (Noticing a theme here? Yes, I liked everything.) I particularly adored Pike.

I'm so glad they cut the Gaila virus thing out of the movie. I liked Jim in the movie. He was kind of an a*****e, but not in a bad way. If they'd left that in, I think I would of been obliged to hate him.

I loved Jim's reaction to the mud flu vaccine or whatever. rofl "Numb tongue?" "I can fix that!" There was so much humor in this film, which I loved. biggrin

I also liked Uhura. I love how she and Spock where an item. Not necessarily the pairing itself, but just the fact that if that's the kind of guy she goes for, Jim never stood a chance. xd

Sulu, Chekov, and Scotty were all awesome. Of course, for Chekov to be 17 in the film, he'd have to have been born earlier than he was in ToS. Maybe his parents did in vitro in the original timeline and let him freeze for a while. (I know this shouldn't bother me, but it does. xp )

Also, as cute as Chekov's accent it was, it was also completely backwards. Don't Russians have trouble with W sounds and not Vs? Oh well, it was funny, so I guess I can let it slide. xd

Old Spock was so frickin' awesome. I heart that he was in the film. So good.

Plus, great story. I like how this is an alternate universe, not a do over. I would have been pissed if fifty years worth of stories had just been obliterated.

As sad as it was, I don't mind that they killed Amanda off. I've heard some people complain that it was sexist, but it makes a lot of sense. Jim lost his dad, Spock lost his mom. (Granted, he lost his planet too...) I really like Amanda, what little we saw of her.

As for Captain Pike, I loved his character. The first time I watched the movie I thought the ending was great for him. He got rescued and everything, then I realized he was confined to a wheelchair (perhaps temporarily), made an Admiral, and basically given a desk job. That'd have to blow. And then I found out was happened to him in the original timeline. He got such a better deal this time around. lol

On another note, lens flare much? This was both awesome and totally 'WTF?! Why are there light flares inside a cave?!' Still, it did make space seem more real and honestly, they were pretty cool looking. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:56 pm
^ I totally agree, and then some....
...Except for Spuhura, or Uhurock, or whatever people call it. I was willing to let it slide, though, because the rest of the moive was SO FRICKIN' AWESOME!!!!  

Lumanny the Space Jew

Blessed Poster

Eiria Morgan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:32 pm
This was JJ Abrams doing. Not Roddenberry's, RIP. Thus, it really makes it more of a "fanfilm." It changed nothing since it was on an alternate timeline. BUT OH MY GOD IT WAS A WIN FANFILM. I COULD KISS ABRAMS and his INFAMOUS TAPPED OUT MIC!!

I loved Zachary Quinto and I loved Chris Pine. X3 So adorable and perfect for the characters.

AND ZOMG SPOCK/UHARA WIN. Loved that. My parents gasped when they kissed, which was hilarious. They'd grown up with the series and I'd been a fan for five years. Guess who had the more epic reaction?

So, did I like the movie? HELL YES. And the outtakes are even better. It's kind of weird to see a guy dressed up as Spock saying, "Oh my god," about 5 times. Win.  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff