Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Random thoughts - possibly discussion, maybe not, who knows? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MellowYetPsycho

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:04 pm
Arivel
Nebelstern
I was actually Christened at birth. I hate the fact that I was, and as I cannot become an un-christian, I prefer to ignore it.
xd

I was baptised when I was 11. It was supposed to be my choice, but it really wasn't. Mum wanted me to be the first young person in the church to be baptised. And then everyone else my age got baptised right after I did. I guess I wanted it. But now I hate the fact that I did it. I didn't really understand what I was doing, and now I feel like I'm living a sort of lie. Everyone at church thinks I'm a devoted Christian. And I'm not. I don't even believe in God. Heh... sweatdrop I also prefer to ignore the fact that I did it. Though I guess I really can't with church and all that crap... xp

i was baptized when i was younger also. i grew up going to a catholic school, and i went to church every wednesday and sunday. then when i started thinking for myself it all went to s**t. i still have the prayers memorized, though.

and i think jesus is cool. what was that story about how he rose from the dead and became a zombie or something? er..maybe i'm a little more rusty on this than i thought. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:36 am
Arivel
Nebelstern
I was actually Christened at birth. I hate the fact that I was, and as I cannot become an un-christian, I prefer to ignore it.
xd

I was baptised when I was 11. It was supposed to be my choice, but it really wasn't. Mum wanted me to be the first young person in the church to be baptised. And then everyone else my age got baptised right after I did. I guess I wanted it. But now I hate the fact that I did it. I didn't really understand what I was doing, and now I feel like I'm living a sort of lie. Everyone at church thinks I'm a devoted Christian. And I'm not. I don't even believe in God. Heh... sweatdrop I also prefer to ignore the fact that I did it. Though I guess I really can't with church and all that crap... xp

wink
Hm, I'm intrigued..  

Invictus_88
Captain

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:18 am
Invictus_88
Arivel
Nebelstern
xd

wink
Hm, I'm intrigued..

I had the benefit of parents who think christening is wrong, as it is not your choice.....And now I hate religion  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:48 am
I was baptized when I was about 12... and I was at that point the youngest person to be baptized at my church.

I'm a christian and stick by my beliefs. I can't stand ignorance and stupidity, wether its in an agnostic, atheist or fellow religous types.

Christening babies does make me angry though, and I had to leave the room when I got taken to see my cousin be christened. The priest was reciting a ritual, and I knew that the ignorant people around him thought that it came from the bible. If he had said 'this is a COE ritual that we have developed over the last 2000 years, because we think this is what the bible asks us to do' then I could accept it as their 'way'.

But, I do not believe that christening a bay makes it a christian, only the individual can make that choice in their heart- God doesn't care what other people think about you, its what you believe in your heart, and the relationship that you-not your parents, have with him.
So my aunts and uncles left believing that theyre baby was 'saved'. That they could forget about religon, as they've done their bit, and got it over with- they can now live guilt free. Its farcical.

It makes me angry in the same way people who aren't christians get married in a church because it's trendy- they're making promises to a God that they don't even believe in. They're lying to each other, God and mis-using my beliefs.  

Lizbeth_r9

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:10 am
People get married in churches not just because it s trendy, it is also traditional, and in many cases the parents make them do it there  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:01 am
It's just the excitement of having a big flashy venue where you can have a properly exciting day.  

Wiggster

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:03 am
And because it is one of the few places you can get married if you have a titchy garden  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:08 am
That too. Or if you have a lot of people and a small budget. The church is cheap to hire. It's only expensive if you decorate it.  

Wiggster

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:19 am
and_solo_said
And because it is one of the few places you can get married if you have a titchy garden

My parents got married in a registry office purely for tax reasons when I was twelve. Me and my sitster were there, and a friend and my mum's sister as witnesses. That was the extent of it.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:22 am
whapcapn
and_solo_said

My parents got married in a registry office purely for tax reasons when I was twelve. Me and my sitster were there, and a friend and my mum's sister as witnesses. That was the extent of it.

Hardly a picture to draw tears to the eyes  

and_solo_said

Wiggster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:27 am
If it's only for tax reasons you dont really want to splash out on a big wedding.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:28 am
If it's only for tax reasons, you may as well do it at the post office  

and_solo_said

Wiggster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:42 am
can you do that?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:50 am
You will be able to when they pass laws saying that it is the priest and not the place that needs the liscence to marry people, but they may already have done that  

and_solo_said

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:54 pm
and_solo_said
whapcapn
and_solo_said

Hardly a picture to draw tears to the eyes

That's kinda harsh..  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas