Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
What do I do with the food I give to spirits? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:44 pm
Shearaha
Gho the Girl
Fiddlers Green
Gho the Girl
I thought I explained all this in my path thread gonk maybe I didn't, or maybe nobody read it emo I know it's not especially well written but I wish people would take even just a little notice.

This path thread?
I do apologize, my mind is a bit cloudy, as I have had a fever for the past couple days.
No offense was intended, but starry heavens am I good at giving the unintentional variety. sweatdrop
Yes, and I was in the middle of a complete overhaul, and I'd already deleted what was there (the stuff no one read for hte good week or so it's been there) when I go to click submit, when Gaia went "LOLZ TIMED YOU OUT FAGAN" crying
It kinda crushed my spirit to have just down all this writing, but it was my fault for not having a backup copy.

ANyways, I'll slowly rebuild what was there.

I read it biggrin , day after you first put it up, but I'm more of a lurker so I didn't post anything sweatdrop .
Ah. Well thanks for reading, I apologise for not knowing you'd read it.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:47 pm
TeaDidikai
Romanus
Don't forget existing symbols for these things! Such as existing lightning symbols like the Gramovici Znaci or Kolovrat'. Both represent ball lightning, if I remember correctly, which may not be exactly what you're looking for. Just remember that there is a wealth of symbols already there - you might find exactly what you're looking for aesthetically and meaningfully with a bit of research and a mindfulness of cultural appropriateness.
Myself, I tend to be wary about the subtle implications that are mystically attached to symbols. Some things get lost in translation.

Both Deo and I wonder now and then how many people have gotten knocked up/knocked someone up because they thought Ing was a spiffy rune of "creativity" and wanted to use it to help them with their artwork.
Also, no disrespect to any already existing faith or religion, this is my path. I want symbols that mean something to me, personally, and the spirits I worship. Sure, I could look to other symbols for inspiration, but it just smacks too much of copypasta to just insert something from outside to my faith without doing enough to make it my own. I'm really self-conscious now about respecting that which has come before. Plus, I really LOVE the symbols I've made, especially for lightening. It's geometric but is suggestive enough to my mind of BOOM mwar.  

Gho the Girl

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:48 am
Gho the Girl
Shearaha
I read it biggrin , day after you first put it up, but I'm more of a lurker so I didn't post anything sweatdrop .

If I never said anything how would you know? 3nodding

Do you have any samples of the symbols you're thinking of using? I would love to see them. heart  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:41 am
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Romanus
Don't forget existing symbols for these things! Such as existing lightning symbols like the Gramovici Znaci or Kolovrat'. Both represent ball lightning, if I remember correctly, which may not be exactly what you're looking for. Just remember that there is a wealth of symbols already there - you might find exactly what you're looking for aesthetically and meaningfully with a bit of research and a mindfulness of cultural appropriateness.
Myself, I tend to be wary about the subtle implications that are mystically attached to symbols. Some things get lost in translation.

Both Deo and I wonder now and then how many people have gotten knocked up/knocked someone up because they thought Ing was a spiffy rune of "creativity" and wanted to use it to help them with their artwork.
Also, no disrespect to any already existing faith or religion, this is my path. I want symbols that mean something to me, personally, and the spirits I worship. Sure, I could look to other symbols for inspiration, but it just smacks too much of copypasta to just insert something from outside to my faith without doing enough to make it my own. I'm really self-conscious now about respecting that which has come before. Plus, I really LOVE the symbols I've made, especially for lightening. It's geometric but is suggestive enough to my mind of BOOM mwar.

Tea: I didn't mean to imply that a simple google search would be sufficient research. sad I think I was careless and hasty in my post, I apologize.

Gho: That's true, I understand. It definitely complicates the issue when your spirituality isn't from some source culture - for instance, personally, there is a wealth of Hellenic imagery that resonates with me very deeply. As well, in the process of resurrecting the traditions of my Slavic heritage that my mother so carelessly through away (pagan and otherwise), I have come across and come to understand a number of symbols, like the kolovrat', that spark something deep inside.

I apologize if I'm not expressing myself very well...  

Collowrath

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:54 am
Shearaha
Gho the Girl
Shearaha

If I never said anything how would you know? 3nodding

Do you have any samples of the symbols you're thinking of using? I would love to see them. heart
I do, but no scanned images yet. I'll upload asap and add them to my path thread whee

@Romanus: That's fair, and don't worry, we all have trouble communicating (especially me) but I get what you're saying. My family's Irish, and the only faith that has been in my family on both sides is Christianity, if there were pagan practitioners, it was probably quite some time ago.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:32 pm
Romanus
It definitely complicates the issue when your spirituality isn't from some source culture

I never had problems formulating my own symbols. (scroll the latter half of the post)  

Recursive Paradox

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:33 pm
Recursive Paradox
Romanus
It definitely complicates the issue when your spirituality isn't from some source culture

I never had problems formulating my own symbols. (scroll the latter half of the post)

It's beautiful! Alas, anything I come up with ends up being a helpless pile of chicken scratches!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:54 pm
Gho the Girl
Plus, I really LOVE the symbols I've made, especially for lightening. It's geometric but is suggestive enough to my mind of BOOM mwar.
Willing/able to share? surprised

Romanus
Tea: I didn't mean to imply that a simple google search would be sufficient research. sad I think I was careless and hasty in my post, I apologize.
No worries. heart  

TeaDidikai

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:41 am
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
Plus, I really LOVE the symbols I've made, especially for lightening. It's geometric but is suggestive enough to my mind of BOOM mwar.
Willing to. But I got hit by a serious bout of depression, which comes with a lot of apathy, aching, and lethargy, among ohter things.

What did Poe use to make that drawing? It didn't look like a scan. I could use that with relative ease.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:41 am
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
Willing to. But I got hit by a serious bout of depression, which comes with a lot of apathy, aching, and lethargy, among ohter things.

What did Poe use to make that drawing? It didn't look like a scan. I could use that with relative ease.

My symbols are generally simplified enough to draw with a mouse in photoshop or MS paint, provided you have a steady hand.

The stroke order is important for mine, I dunno if it is for yours.

Romanus
Recursive Paradox
Romanus

It's beautiful! Alas, anything I come up with ends up being a helpless pile of chicken scratches!

Thank you. ^^

Just practice, you'll get better. *nodnod*  

Recursive Paradox

Falhalterra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:59 pm
If I were to do this...I would just eat what I offered. I would think my Patron God or Goddess would appreciate such a gesture. I'm not fond of leaving food around....for a while.

Ewwww....lol  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:27 pm
Distorted_Image
If I were to do this...I would just eat what I offered. I would think my Patron God or Goddess would appreciate such a gesture. I'm not fond of leaving food around....for a while.

Ewwww....lol
If you eat it . . . then what's the gesture? confused  

Gho the Girl

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:34 pm
Also: Lightening
User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:18 pm
Gho the Girl
Distorted_Image

Ewwww....lol

That you appreciate them that much, that you would enjoy what you offered them. If what you prepared was good enough for them, then maybe I would consider it a blessing to me, if I were to eat my offering.

I mean...what if I brought cantaloupe? Would you seriously think I'd leave it there to freaking rot and not think that my Patron God/dess would find it just a tad bit offensive? lol  

Falhalterra

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:33 pm
Distorted_Image
Gho the Girl
Distorted_Image

Ewwww....lol

That you appreciate them that much, that you would enjoy what you offered them. If what you prepared was good enough for them, then maybe I would consider it a blessing to me, if I were to eat my offering.

I mean...what if I brought cantaloupe? Would you seriously think I'd leave it there to freaking rot and not think that my Patron God/dess would find it just a tad bit offensive? lol
I dunno. I view my spirits as guests at my table. I don't give them a portion just to eat it myself. It's not mine to eat. It's a trade, a barter, but also an gift of goodwill. What you're doing, to me, feels kind of like handing a friend a plate of food only to take it right back and eat it yourself. At least to me.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff