Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Closed Culture/Open Culture Pantheons Which is which? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:26 pm
RubyLight

The guide I started. There is a note that states that it is a racial slur. If you want me to remove it from the post just say the word. I meant no offense. redface
I'd type it up as "Rroma*"

Then note below that they are historically referred to by the ethnic slur "G~" and be done with it.

Most folks don't get to spend a whole lot of time in the guild before they learn about that. wink

Also- you might want to take some time to explain why a given tradition is closed.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:13 am
TeaDidikai
RubyLight

The guide I started. There is a note that states that it is a racial slur. If you want me to remove it from the post just say the word. I meant no offense. redface

Then note below that they are historically referred to by the ethnic slur "G~" and be done with it.

Most folks don't get to spend a whole lot of time in the guild before they learn about that. wink

Also- you might want to take some time to explain why a given tradition is closed.

Will do. Take a look and tell me what you think so far. The first description was on the different Abrahamic Faiths, since that is what I grew up with.  

RubyLight

patch99329

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:19 am
One thing, you listed YHVH as a faith as opposed to a deity. whee  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:44 am
patch99329
One thing, you listed YHVH as a faith as opposed to a deity. whee

Crap. I changed the headings to Abrahamic. Thanks.  

RubyLight

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:00 pm
TeaDidikai
RubyLight

There was a human rights site I looked over who didn't do that. They just said Roma and left it that.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:19 pm
Recursive Paradox

There was a human rights site I looked over who didn't do that. They just said Roma and left it that.
I'm a fan of that myself.  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:38 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

I can't remember which one it was. I was looking through the sites for statistics on hate crime based murders against trans women.

Yeah... my life expectancy isn't so great. It would be worse if I was a black or latino trans women though. x_x  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:25 pm
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

I can't remember which one it was. I was looking through the sites for statistics on hate crime based murders against trans women.

Yeah... my life expectancy isn't so great. It would be worse if I was a black or latino trans women though. x_x

Yeah, there are alot of hate groups out there. May I ask are you going guy to girl or girl to guy?  

RubyLight

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:53 pm
RubyLight
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

Yeah, there are alot of hate groups out there. May I ask are you going guy to girl or girl to guy?

Guy to girl.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:13 pm
error-dot-tar
Celeblin Galadeneryn
TeaDidikai
Celeblin Galadeneryn
...atheist quasi-Asatru.
How do you manage that?!
He believes that Paganism should be an ideology, not a religion, ie. the Gods represent values you should espouse, they don't actually exist.

For Asatruar, that sounds an awful lot like being on crack.
I did mention he was delusional.

The guy killed his band mate for no apparent reason, though he says it was because he tried to kill him first! (No takebacks!) But it's ok, because the guy he killed wasn't really Norwegian, he was a Lapp. And who cares about them? rolleyes stare  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

godhi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:46 am
Fiddlers Green
So, I have a friend, he is American, of African and Pacific Islander mix extraction.
He has been to two different Feasts of Ostara with me.
One where we had to rely upon our superior survival and espionage skills to, well, survive. (He is/was an Eagle Scout, I am a field tested Soldier) The other, we got free mead and rabbit.
I've seen both extremes, and, all things considered, it was quite a learning experience.
Although what "ancestral justice" the former would want to extract on my friend I can not even fathom. sweatdrop

Heathen Scandinavians have a long tradition of adopting fellow warriors into a clan, even if they were not Scandinavian by birth. My attitude would be: if the Gods accepted him into the community and the religion, who are we to argue the point?
On the other hand, if the person were not of Scandinavian or Teutonic ancestry and the omens pointed to the fact that the Gods did not want him--and the person STILL wanted to join the community--then I would worry.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:18 am
*shuffles in after long, unexplained absence* Just a note regarding the Greek stuff: for the most part, it is open. If you are dealing with stuff involving Demeter, Persephone, Dionysus, Orpheus, etc., then tread carefully. Some of their traditions were part of the mystery religions. These religions were open in a sense--they allowed even slaves and foreigners to join--but you were only allowed to partake in their practices if you were initiated. Needless to say, no one is around to initiate you into these religions anymore. If they are, their credentials are at least questionable. Now, some members of these mystery religions leaked details about their beliefs and rituals. Whether these are now "open" is a touchy subject.  

SpudCannon

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:43 am
godhi
Fiddlers Green
So, I have a friend, he is American, of African and Pacific Islander mix extraction.
He has been to two different Feasts of Ostara with me.
One where we had to rely upon our superior survival and espionage skills to, well, survive. (He is/was an Eagle Scout, I am a field tested Soldier) The other, we got free mead and rabbit.
I've seen both extremes, and, all things considered, it was quite a learning experience.
Although what "ancestral justice" the former would want to extract on my friend I can not even fathom. sweatdrop

Heathen Scandinavians have a long tradition of adopting fellow warriors into a clan, even if they were not Scandinavian by birth. My attitude would be: if the Gods accepted him into the community and the religion, who are we to argue the point?
On the other hand, if the person were not of Scandinavian or Teutonic ancestry and the omens pointed to the fact that the Gods did not want him--and the person STILL wanted to join the community--then I would worry.
That's what I was thinking.

I've even heard it suggested that sometimes they would go out of their way to bring in an outsider (such as a Fin) for different reasons.

My source is questionable though- do you have better ones?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:27 pm
SpudCannon
*shuffles in after long, unexplained absence* Just a note regarding the Greek stuff: for the most part, it is open. If you are dealing with stuff involving Demeter, Persephone, Dionysus, Orpheus, etc., then tread carefully. Some of their traditions were part of the mystery religions. These religions were open in a sense--they allowed even slaves and foreigners to join--but you were only allowed to partake in their practices if you were initiated. Needless to say, no one is around to initiate you into these religions anymore. If they are, their credentials are at least questionable. Now, some members of these mystery religions leaked details about their beliefs and rituals. Whether these are now "open" is a touchy subject.

I have a dim-view of the reconstructed mystery cults. The mysteries disappeared along with them pretty much.  

patch99329

SpudCannon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:20 pm
patch99329
I have a dim-view of the reconstructed mystery cults. The mysteries disappeared along with them pretty much.
For the most part, I agree. But ancient poets, playwrights, and philosophers (thinking specifically of Socrates, Aeschylus, and Aristophanes) were occasionally accused of revealing the mysteries in their writings. I certainly don't think there is enough info out there for someone to accurately reconstruct the mystery cults, but there is still some information out there involving their beliefs and practices (out of context, of course). I personally feel that, because initiation is no longer an option and the beliefs/practices have lost their context, they should be left alone.

I guess a better way to put it is that Greek public religion is an open tradition, but attempting to recreate the mystery religions is both impossible and inconsiderate. A lot of texts out there will tell you about Greek rituals without telling you first whether they originated in the mystery religions or the public religion. Recreating/attempting to recreate those observances that originate in the mysteries is probably not the most responsible thing in the world.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff