Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Thread Archive {Hot topics}
FOCA: Freedom of Choice or A Radical Measure? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will FOCA Actually Take Away Religious And Pro-Life Americans' Right To Refuse Promoting Abortion?
Yes. No one should be forced to compromise their beliefs.
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
No. It's just meant to give a woman more alternatives.
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
I'm Not Sure. I'll have to read more on it.
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 15

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:13 pm
I honestly do not know how to respond at this point. I want to rail against the hypocrisy of complaining about idiocy while making (and repeating) idiotic mistakes. I want to rail against the hypocrisy of using rude and condescending remarks to demean others while condemning my posts for their attitude. I want to rail against the hypocrisy that allows jokes about murder to be posted freely but condemns posts that simply say "Your beliefs are wrong."

Still, the idea of insulting a guild leader, no matter how wrong he or she may be, seems like a bad idea. So instead, I am just going to ask a favor. Fushigi na Butterfly, read your last three responses to me and think.

I think by any fair reading your posts were far more offensive than anything I said in that homosexuality topic.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:39 pm
Am I correct in saying that certain states acted independently to make abortion illegal, which the Supreme Court (judiciary branch) has since overturned? Is FOCA a way for Congress and Senate (legislative) to ensure that constitutional rights are upheld? It's pretty difficult to understand the kinds of checks and balances your system of government employs when I have only a surface knowledge of it.  

Priestley

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:17 pm
Priestley
Am I correct in saying that certain states acted independently to make abortion illegal, which the Supreme Court (judiciary branch) has since overturned? Is FOCA a way for Congress and Senate (legislative) to ensure that constitutional rights are upheld? It's pretty difficult to understand the kinds of checks and balances your system of government employs when I have only a surface knowledge of it.

That about sums it up. Individual states are STILL trying to ban abortion but can't since the federal law overrides it, so they've tacked on a bunch of conditions that must be met before it can be done.

And zz, we're not ignoring your post. We're going to let you and the captain work all this out.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:52 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Mein Kulturkampf
Because it is immoral for one person to assume rights over another person's body, no matter what age.

So there should be no law against adults having sex with minors, right? Cuz, you know, the government has no right to say what any person can and can't do with their body. rolleyes

=) Assuming that the minor is capable of understanding their bodily rights, this is completely correct. You forget that if a person takes advantage of another person, they are also assuming rights over another's body.

That said, as a minor I completely support youth rights in all arenas, from the criminal to the sexual to the democratic.  

Mein Kulturkampf

Mein Kulturkampf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:55 pm
Priestley
Mein Kulturkampf
Priestley
Mein Kulturkampf
Priestley
Oh, I see. So, with FOCA, a woman's legal right to have an abortion even when not medically necessary is protected by obligating medial facilities to provide the procedure? stare

If the medical facility is owned by the state, yes. It's not a new concept that government-run organizations must remain separate from religious organizations.

Actually, I don't think the act discriminates between government and faith-based facilities. If the act of law is passed, it applies to all.

If you read the text of the act, you will see that it applies to facilities that are an extension of government.

Please highlight the particular text to which you are referring, because I cannot see where it explicitly states that it only applies to government facilities or that faith-based institutions are excluded from this act.

"(1) GOVERNMENT- The term `government' includes a branch, department, agency, instrumentality, or official (or other individual acting under color of law) of the United States, a State, or a subdivision of a State.

(b) Prohibition of Interference- A government may not--..."  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:58 pm
zz1000zz
I honestly do not know how to respond at this point. I want to rail against the hypocrisy of complaining about idiocy while making (and repeating) idiotic mistakes. I want to rail against the hypocrisy of using rude and condescending remarks to demean others while condemning my posts for their attitude. I want to rail against the hypocrisy that allows jokes about murder to be posted freely but condemns posts that simply say "Your beliefs are wrong."

Still, the idea of insulting a guild leader, no matter how wrong he or she may be, seems like a bad idea. So instead, I am just going to ask a favor. Fushigi na Butterfly, read your last three responses to me and think.

I think by any fair reading your posts were far more offensive than anything I said in that homosexuality topic.

I read everything FnB said to you, and I am unable to see anything offensive. Perhaps you could, say, highlight the relevant portions?  

Mein Kulturkampf

Priestley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:53 pm
Mein Kulturkampf
Priestley
Mein Kulturkampf
Priestley
Mein Kulturkampf
Priestley
Oh, I see. So, with FOCA, a woman's legal right to have an abortion even when not medically necessary is protected by obligating medial facilities to provide the procedure? stare

If the medical facility is owned by the state, yes. It's not a new concept that government-run organizations must remain separate from religious organizations.

Actually, I don't think the act discriminates between government and faith-based facilities. If the act of law is passed, it applies to all.

If you read the text of the act, you will see that it applies to facilities that are an extension of government.

Please highlight the particular text to which you are referring, because I cannot see where it explicitly states that it only applies to government facilities or that faith-based institutions are excluded from this act.

"(1) GOVERNMENT- The term `government' includes a branch, department, agency, instrumentality, or official (or other individual acting under color of law) of the United States, a State, or a subdivision of a State.

(b) Prohibition of Interference- A government may not--..."

Read this.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:01 am
Mein Kulturkampf
Fushigi na Butterfly
Mein Kulturkampf
Because it is immoral for one person to assume rights over another person's body, no matter what age.

So there should be no law against adults having sex with minors, right? Cuz, you know, the government has no right to say what any person can and can't do with their body. rolleyes

=) Assuming that the minor is capable of understanding their bodily rights, this is completely correct. You forget that if a person takes advantage of another person, they are also assuming rights over another's body.

That said, as a minor I completely support youth rights in all arenas, from the criminal to the sexual to the democratic.

I'm actually going to have to retract this response. After thinking about it more, and spelling it out for myself, I realized it made no sense. So I apologize for that.

Also, I've PMed zz1000zz, so hopefully we'll work this out. Thank you for your concern though. 3nodding

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:46 pm
Mein Kulturkampf
I read everything FnB said to you, and I am unable to see anything offensive. Perhaps you could, say, highlight the relevant portions?

As was already said, Fushigi na Butterfly and I will discuss this through private messages for now.

ryuu_chan
And zz, we're not ignoring your post. We're going to let you and the captain work all this out.

I wouldn't expect anything else.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:43 pm
Is there anything else to discuss in this topic that would be out of place in a standard abortion thread, or can it be safely locked?  

Mein Kulturkampf

Priestley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:08 pm
Mein Kulturkampf
Is there anything else to discuss in this topic that would be out of place in a standard abortion thread, or can it be safely locked?

It will remain open for discussion until such time that a month has passed without a reply, at which time it'll be locked. This is guild policy.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:53 am
I'm pro choice so it's not anything that upsets me.  

Autie Lady

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:31 pm
Priestley
Mein Kulturkampf

It will remain open for discussion until such time that a month has passed without a reply, at which time it'll be locked. This is guild policy.

Of course, that assumes a month will pass without a reply..

Edit: In case anyone was wondering, Fushigi na Butterfly worked out our differences from this topic.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:26 pm
zz1000zz
Priestley
Mein Kulturkampf

Of course, that assumes a month will pass without a reply..

Edit: In case anyone was wondering, Fushigi na Butterfly worked out our differences from this topic.

If it does, it does. If it doesn't, it doesn't. That's just what happens. I'm glad you two have reached an agreement. smile

Further to the topic of the thread, I think it's important to keep this post up for education purposes. Clearly, certain individuals haven't yet understood the message that the cause for which they are fighting is untrue.

Priestley

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:38 pm
Priestley
If it does, it does. If it doesn't, it doesn't. That's just what happens. I'm glad you two have reached an agreement. smile

Further to the topic of the thread, I think it's important to keep this post up for education purposes. Clearly, certain individuals haven't yet understood the message that the cause for which they are fighting is untrue.

Seeing as at least one more thread was posted on this topic well after things had been settled, it may be good to keep this thread around for a while yet. I suppose if FOCA gets passed, the topic will not be needed.

(It is remarkable just how easily people come to terms with me when we actually talk.)  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff