Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

L Lawliet

Mind-boggling Detective

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:31 pm
ochisan12
I'm butting in the debate again.

If L knew about the Death Eraser, he could have said so in the interior monologue the geniuses of Death Note seem to have all the time. No one would know except him. He doesn't have to say, "Hey! Look! I know a way to bring those people back to life!". Back to... how would he get it? If it exists, a shinigami has it. He would have to get it from a shinigami, which means Rem. That's not possible, since Rem was the one who killed L.

Imagine if I had never read the pilot. It doesn't appear in the official English translation at all, so if I had just read the official translation, I would know nothing about the Death Eraser. So... how do I interpret the manga so that I can coem up with that? To someone who has never read the pilot chapter, your assumption is just something random. Your theory is not plausible if people don't know about the Death Eraser.

L Lawliet's got a point there. Where is L if he came back? I don't think he suddenly took a detour to investigate what happened to the candy factory in who-knows-where.
トイス!!

Actually, the pilot appears in the How To Read 13 volume at the end. Still, the pilot is completely independent from the actual story so it has no effect on L's death.

And I do agree with what you, ochisan, quoted earlier: that the eraser is a bad plot device. I mean, if you really think about it, you could apply that to other parts of the story. We could bring back Light over and over again, and he wouldn't have to worry about dying. Now if the eraser was part of the main story, there is NO WAY Light wouldn't have passed up something like that. So if L knew about it, there is a high chance that Light would have known about it too.

And actually, it's quite obvious. If L would have came back from the dead, he would have followed Polysics around the world and watched every single one of their shows. cool Actually, that sounds like something I want to do, haha.

Hard Rock Thunder ♪  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:41 pm
I should have checked that earlier. I haven't gotten to read the novel yet, although I'm dying to. (But even if it was part of the story, the pilot wouldn't apply since I remember the guy--Taro, I think-- burning the notebook. And Ryuk's still following him after 7 years.)

The Death Eraser would have been fun to have, but it would have ruined the series, as you said. Light back to life? I don't want to think about it. And Light would have totally taken it. He being surrounded by two shinigamis opposed to L, who had only partial knowledge due to Rem siding with Light.

I think he'd raid all the sweets in the world and give me all the chocolate pig out. Make Watari give him some cake.

Count Chocolat

L Lawliet

Mind-boggling Detective

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:03 pm
ochisan12
I should have checked that earlier. I haven't gotten to read the novel yet, although I'm dying to. (But even if it was part of the story, the pilot wouldn't apply since I remember the guy--Taro, I think-- burning the notebook. And Ryuk's still following him after 7 years.)

The Death Eraser would have been fun to have, but it would have ruined the series, as you said. Light back to life? I don't want to think about it. And Light would have totally taken it. He being surrounded by two shinigamis opposed to L, who had only partial knowledge due to Rem siding with Light.

I think he'd raid all the sweets in the world and give me all the chocolate pig out. Make Watari give him some cake.
トイス!!

Oh, the novel is really good. I enjoy re-reading it now more than I do re-reading the actual series. XDD

Yeah, Rem would have known about the eraser and would have told Misa, and in turn, would have told Light. So there's no way he wouldn't have boasted about that advantage in his head.

Haha, yeah that sounds more like L there. My first suggestion was just a product of my love of my favorite band.

Ah Yeah! ♪  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:15 pm
Ohh, geez, I gotta catch up soon... I'll probably have to go before I get to everything...
The thinking part of Death Note mostly focuses on Light, and rarely actually shows L thinking unless he's interacting with Light in some way, and when he was still the mysterious guy. He probably would have come back to life after the Kira case was over, which was when Near got the real notebook. So, he probably DID go investigate the candy factory. XD

Rem MIGHT have known about the eraser, but I doubt she would have told anyone, because she might not have thought about it. In the entire series, only in the pilot did any mention of an eraser appear. So, it could easily have been that the eraser was rare or something. At the end of the pilot, it showed the guy burning the notebook, but not the eraser. So, L could have tracked him down and got him to give it to him.

Did I miss anything?  

faerygirl-14

tokijin0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:36 pm
I have to agree with L Lawliet, especally about the existance of the eraser...
If it did exist, Rem would have definately known about it.

The most sound argument i can provide is simply that Ohba says L is dead, and Ohba determines what happens in the world of Death Note.

You said that in the entire series the eraser is mentioned in the pilot. The end of the pilot clearly shows that the death note is common knowledge at that time, if L had been around then, he easily would have figured out that Kira had a death note. So the pilot can only take place either AFTER the events of Death Note, or on a seperate timeline all together.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:49 pm
tokijin0
I have to agree with L Lawliet, especally about the existance of the eraser...
If it did exist, Rem would have definately known about it.

The most sound argument i can provide is simply that Ohba says L is dead, and Ohba determines what happens in the world of Death Note.

You said that in the entire series the eraser is mentioned in the pilot. The end of the pilot clearly shows that the death note is common knowledge at that time, if L had been around then, he easily would have figured out that Kira had a death note. So the pilot can only take place either AFTER the events of Death Note, or on a seperate timeline all together.

Actually, it was shown as common knowledge at the beginning of the real series, after it said "7 Years Later"
And, even though Ohba never said anything about it, he ended the series at it and never said anything else. So, what happened to everyone? They all disappeared?  

faerygirl-14

Count Chocolat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:34 pm
I should get the novel soon then. It's been one of the books (with actual words!) that I've been lookingforward to reading.
I think Rem is the key to this entire thing. Ryuk might not reveal everything, maybe not even the Death Eraser, even though he might. He's unpredictable. But Rem would tell Misa, just as how she told her about how to kill a shinigami and about Gelus.
I wonder if L ever gets cavities...

As for the other argument... I think that tokojin0 is absolutely right. Ohba is god in Death Note.
And never in the actual Death Note series did it say "7 years later."
In the pilot, after showing to the two detectives that the Death Note and the Death Eraser are both real, the two boys and the detectives go ahead and burn the notebook. Then, after the conversation between Taro and the other boy (I forget his name), there's the "7 years later" headline, still within the pilot. That's when Taro, much older, re-appers with Ryuk following and that's when the Death Note is common in rumors. That's all still in the pilot. I think you must have been confused. Again, tokijin0 is right.
As for the other characters, I found an extra to Death Note, not really official. It's what happesn 3 years after Light has died. I haven't read the entire one-shot yet, but I will.
Also, the pilot is just a pilot, it really has nothing to do with the story. The actual Death Note series was written after the pilot was submitted.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:49 pm
ochisan12
I should get the novel soon then. It's been one of the books (with actual words!) that I've been lookingforward to reading.
I think Rem is the key to this entire thing. Ryuk might not reveal everything, maybe not even the Death Eraser, even though he might. He's unpredictable. But Rem would tell Misa, just as how she told her about how to kill a shinigami and about Gelus.
I wonder if L ever gets cavities...

As for the other argument... I think that tokojin0 is absolutely right. Ohba is god in Death Note.
And never in the actual Death Note series did it say "7 years later."
In the pilot, after showing to the two detectives that the Death Note and the Death Eraser are both real, the two boys and the detectives go ahead and burn the notebook. Then, after the conversation between Taro and the other boy (I forget his name), there's the "7 years later" headline, still within the pilot. That's when Taro, much older, re-appers with Ryuk following and that's when the Death Note is common in rumors. That's all still in the pilot. I think you must have been confused. Again, tokijin0 is right.
As for the other characters, I found an extra to Death Note, not really official. It's what happesn 3 years after Light has died. I haven't read the entire one-shot yet, but I will.
Also, the pilot is just a pilot, it really has nothing to do with the story. The actual Death Note series was written after the pilot was submitted.

Hmm... Maybe I got the peoples confused...

Well, as I see it, there are only a few major problems right now:
1. Rem would have told Misa.
She would have, if there had been any reason to. But, like I said, the Eraser was probably really really rare, since it was only seen in the pilot. So, Rem might either never have thought of it (most likely), or didn't even know about it. Especially if no where in the plot was the eraser ever seen or talked about, and if the pilot was in a whole different time period.

2. The pilot is completely different from the real series.
Right, but it was still in existence. Even if the eraser was never mentioned, that doesn't necessarily mean it never existed. And, the time wouldn't have been TOO different, because you can see that the landscape, technology, etc. was still pretty much the same. So, about ten years, give or take, at the most.

3. The author/the manga never mentioned it, didn't say it happened, etc.
Yeah, but, like most books, stories, mangas, etc. it didn't end when everyone died. So, the author left it pretty much to the fans to create their own ending. And, plus, why would they just have Light kill him with a notebook? Why not a gun or a knife or something? For a "genius" like him, how hard would it have been to find some way to hide it? And, if he really were a "genius," he'd know that only using the death note might be crippling.  

faerygirl-14

Count Chocolat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:18 pm
1. The shinigamis don't really test the Death Note out like Light did, so they wouldn't know about all that. But they would surely know about a Death Eraser if one existed. But if Rem didn't know about it and Ryuk wouldn't tell, whether he knew or not, then there's no way that anyone could have found the Death Eraser in the plot series.

2. Right, but remember, the pilot was written before the series, to show the concept of the Death Note to the publishers for the to assess it. I guess what you don't understand is that it's not really part of the story, not attached to it. Plus, as I said before, Ohba didn't want the Death Eraser to be used because he didn't "care for it". So, why would it be used in the series?

3. Could have Light killed him with a knife or a gun when everyone else was watching? No. He would have been questioned. And seriously, I don't think he was carrying a gun with him and I don't know how he'd make it past security with a knife. Remember that not even Aizawa's pants could go through that place. And the point was so it seemed that Kira killed L, so he must have died of a heart attack. Without the Death Note, you can't just say, "So-and-so will die right now." Anyway, it was really Rem who killed L, not Light.
The fans can easily continue the story thorugh fanfictions and beleifs and such. But the facts are facts and facts were that L was dead and there is no Death Eraser outside the pilot.

Even though I'm an L fangirl, I don't try to contradict somethint we know as true. Why?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:58 pm
トイス!!

All three of your 'problems' are the evidence that what you are arguing for is simply not true. You may keep a hold of your wishful thinking about L's death if you want, but facts are still facts; L is dead and stays dead throughout the rest of the series.

Hard Rock Thunder ♪  

L Lawliet

Mind-boggling Detective

faerygirl-14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:38 pm
Uhh... I think you're all misunderstanding what I'm trying to say... I'm saying that, as soon as the solidified, concrete series ends, the rest is up to interpretation. Even though the Death Eraser wasn't really part of the PLOT plot, it still exists...

YES I get what the pilot is for... stare Even if the AUTHOR lost interest, it is still a "fact" that it exists. So... it can be used.

And, anyways, there WAS a newspaper about the Taro incident. The incident was obviously before Light's time, because the only comparison those police guys found was that bank thing.

And, when did I say that Light had to kill him when people were watching? Why would he even DO that? That's just suicidal. Because, L eats wit a metal fork. He could have just stabbed him with that or something.

That's the thing everyone's getting wrong; I'm saying that L COULD have survived, because there was a loophole in it, and since the author left the story, it's possible to continue it in a way where L comes back to life.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:16 pm
I think you're misunderstanding what we're trying to say too. Sure, open the series is open to further interpretation. That doesn't mean that a discarded concept can be used. Because that's what the Death Eraser is. Just a discarded concept. It's not a fact if the author says it's not. Really, the author has total control over that reality. Not you. Not me. Not anyone else. Just like you can't bring a person back to life, you can't use a plot device that was never used in the first place. It only existed as an idea, it was never made a real fact. Really, the pilot means near to nothing to the actual series.

There was a newspaper. But remember, wouldn't that newspaper have been dug up by someone? Brought out? The fact that it wasn't means it didn't exist in that plot. And the bank incident was never brought up in the actual Death Note series. Why? Because it didn't exist in that plot. If you want, you can call the pilot a real story but it's not Death Note directly.

I never said that Light had to kill him while someone was watching. But there was always someone else around when L and Light were together, right? The NPA members, classmates, random people at the cafe. It would have been suicide to think that he could just kill him through physical means.

Okay. You're saying he could have. I didn't get that from all your debates. At all. Sorry for the misconception. But... Near is L. The author made it clear in the extra chapter. Near is L. And he also made it clear L was dead and wasn't coming back. Because the chapter took place 9 years after L died, 3 after Light died. Wouldn't he have come back by that time? If it was possible, that is.
Also, a Death Eraser doesn't quite count, as I've stressed more than enough times.

I think my brain is going to end up like re-fried chicken after all this.  

Count Chocolat

L Lawliet

Mind-boggling Detective

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:27 pm
faerygirl-14
Uhh... I think you're all misunderstanding what I'm trying to say... I'm saying that, as soon as the solidified, concrete series ends, the rest is up to interpretation. Even though the Death Eraser wasn't really part of the PLOT plot, it still exists...
トイス!!

I understand what you're saying, but interpretation does not mean that it is the truth. I severely disagree with your interpretation because L lost and in the game he played with Kira, loosing meant death. He knew that full well and so he paid with his life. To try to reverse what happened is an insult to L's memory, I believe.

Plus Chicker ♪  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:55 pm
Of course it's not the truth. The truth doesn't exist beyond what the author decided was the end.

And, I don't think that it's an insult. First of all, you don't just die because you lose; you make a backup plan, then review your skills to see why you lost. Then, you win next time. If L just lost, he would be smart enough to know that a loss doesn't mean you give up.  

faerygirl-14

tokijin0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:55 pm
L Lawliet
faerygirl-14
トイス!!

I understand what you're saying, but interpretation does not mean that it is the truth. I severely disagree with your interpretation because L lost and in the game he played with Kira, loosing meant death. He knew that full well and so he paid with his life. To try to reverse what happened is an insult to L's memory, I believe.

Plus Chicker

Wow L, thats deep, but i totally agree.  
The L Guild Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas