Submit

Do you support it?
  Yes!
  No!
  Poll Whore
View Results

chowchowpup713

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:14 pm
My mom used to when i was little and did very bad things. like lie or not do something stuff like that but now she doesnt.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:34 pm
DuMaKenshinXD
Everyone has gotten hit as a child, i believe so.

I think it is okay, to some extremes.
No Hitting until bleeding or badly bruised

Parents hit they're children because they want to teach them a lesson. If you don't want to get hit, obey. Physical discipline who go away soon enough. As you get older, they understand that you can retaliate so they back off. Not saying you should hit your parents.
But you should learn how to talk to them after your about 15.

My parents a lienient(s/p?) so i wouldn't know what most of you guys go through

Ohmai..
I did.. since i'm 15+ >_>
But guess what?
They get pissed off at me, and then my mom starts ranting about "Is this how you treat your parents" and blahblahblah.. and a lot of other crap =___="  

Rayns Fyre

ll Jelly ll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:57 pm
im 15 and she still does like once a year lol
back then she would hit me with the handle of a duster
but now she would use the 2ft long chopsticks crying  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:45 pm
I support it, the mean reason is to teach young children discipline and respect. Parents do it not because they hate their children it is because they love them. I believe it hurts them to do it but in the end they know it is for the better of their children.

My mother told me that many do not understand why parents are a certain way to them until they actually have children of their own. Then they will get a more clear picture of why their parents were like that.

I do not have children of my own yet but I understand every time I see a child act out in public and their parents just letting them do as they please. Then some non-parent has to tell the child not to do that. It annoys me that other people have to parent their children. stare I honestly want to tell their parents, why have kids if you can't get them to behave?

Also the more I think about my parent's background. Well they grew up in a different environment and lacked the opportunities that I have the usa. So I guess they want me and my siblings not to take those for granitic and to unitize our resources.

It is child abuse when the parents do it for absolutely no reason or just to vent on their anger/fustration on someone innocent.

Its pretty much behavior psychology, when a negative reward is given then it decreases the chances that such behavior will be repeated.

Developmental psychologist would argue what age children are expected to be able to process reason and think abstractly.

[-Points to Piaget and Erikson-]
So if you tried to explain to a young child why they should not do that, there is a chance that some will not understand entirely and will continue to act out. I think that's why parents are less physical as you get older because they know you are old enough to understand. That just means parents can use other ways to discipline you, classical guilt trip.

Darkaznstargoddess

Ruthless Genius

13,100 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50

iBlackros3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:45 am
before...yeah i got hit...but now...nope...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:27 pm
it's strange to still get hit at teen years. I think the parents consider you as a child still. Or the teen is acting like a child. Or the parents are just mad at them for doing something really bad. confused

Well, my mom doesn't hit me anymore.  

hikari megumi 15

Lockany

Cluttered Fatcat

9,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:26 pm
I used to get hit until I turned thirteen I think. I also used to get hit by teachers back in Taiwan, and they use sticks, my parents don't...they threaten me with the stick. = =;  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:52 am
ONCE OR TWICE  

L O v 3`

Friendly Duck

9,225 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Elocutionist 200

fortywinks n fortynights

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:13 pm
User Image
---------------------------------------------------

i get hit all the time by my japanese dad when i was a kid, but all is good now. no hatred

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:39 am
For a short(About 3 months) period after my mother died, my father got drunk all the time and would beat my sister and me. He's been really over-protective of us ever since though.

ErikGilpher

xPANICxITxISxJANEx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:07 pm
They used to hit me when I was little but not anymore :  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:42 pm
Thank god not... they think I'm a very good child ^^ But my brother gets beatings sometimes... They think he's lazy because he doesn't have a "Real Job" He's a mangaka... Plus he doesn't clean  

amu_chan0

1-TRUE-SH4WTY

2,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:14 pm
Who would support violence?

- That's C r a z y  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:22 pm
1-TRUE-SH4WTY
Who would support violence?

- That's C r a z y

My parents. >-<  

M e e G g y

Vallkyirie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:43 am
I believe hitting children, as a source if discipline, is very important.
It helps discipline a child and as some have said before, a lot of people are the way they are now, because of how their parents disciplined them as a child.

It does have adverse effects however. My friends and I have talked about this and we noticed a trend.

Those who were hit by their parents (not just of Asian descent) had a child/authority figure relationship with their parents. They were not as close with them either and complained about about their parents a lot more than those who were not hit. However, they did have respect for their parents. But did not like spending too much time at home (liked going out with friends a lot more) and did not 'talk' to their parents about their personal lives.

Those who were not hit as child had more of a friend/friend relationship with their parents. They are a lot closer with their parents, could talk to them about a lot of stuff and don't mind spending time at home with the family. However, they seem to have less 'discipline' (though that is more specific to the individual since someone can be disciplined even if they weren't hit) and they tended to argue with their parents a lot more often (we can assume its because its easier to argue with a 'friend' than an 'authority figure')

With that said, I was hit as a child, I wouldn't change that. Actually, I support and will prob use it as disciplinary action when I have kids.  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff