Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Music - Related Topics
An Introduction to Goth music and subculture Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

themagikat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:55 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Well, I can see where people get confused with the whole metal/goth music thing, metal can be influenced by goth music, in it's lyrics and arrangement, hence CoF lyrics sounding Gothicesque.
But it can't be the other way around, Goth just isn't loud, there's goth metal, which is loud and has gothic lyrics but it isn't technically 'pure goth' goth purists don't count it as goth, but a goth and metal hybrid but it's mainly considered metal.

i see what you are saying. i was thinking much too broadly where as you are thinking in the purest sense.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:31 am
Dr_lecter1988
Isobel Bellamy
Liten bucko, just because you don't like original 'Goth' music doesn't mean that you can talk like that, if you don't like something live with it don't go bitching on a thread that is meant to teach people the basics of it. And Emo it definately it is not, emo is whiney teenagers bitching about how bad their life is, 'Goth' is very life affirming and even though to some people it seems dark and miserable it isn't, which is what the 'Goth' subculture is about, 'real Goths' don't give a s**t about labels and stereotypes and THEY AREN'T MISERABLE WHINERS see emo for that. Just because something is slow doesn't mean it's for weak people, weak people are the ones that can't accept anything different from what they like and spend their time harrasing others to change so their lives aren't filled with people who are *shock horror disater!* different from them.

Why the ******** did you join this guild if you blatantly don't like the foundation of the 'Goth' subculture - its music.

*claps* Yay Isobel! i avoided chewing him out do to the amount of vulgarity i would have resorted to. but YAY isobel
*laughs* I was/am pissed off heh... sweatdrop that was the censored verson of what I wanted to say to him....  

Isobel Bellamy

Freya Silverflame

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:46 pm
I think Attrition, Diva Destruction, Dargaard, Dulce Liquido, Cruxshadows and maybe the Mission UK could be considered "Goth"

Most people think Rammstein is goth. While I ADORE them, I think they would go under the "Industrial/EBM" label instead.

And Alice O'Connor, here's from one fellow Jack Off Jill fan to another! *huggle*  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:41 am
due to this thread i was able to convince and educate people on the definition of goth. they where convinced i was going goth which im not  

chick_with_a_chainsaw

~Octavia Sperati~

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:56 am
-:Claps:- Bravo, I was waiting for that.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:34 pm
imho, there is no such thing as "pure" goth... even such bastions as sisters of mercy and dead can dance would be quite different categories... but there are different regions in this great land, and this interesting outline was blatantly ripped off from sfgoth.com:

Ambient: Delerium, Metamorphosis
Classical: Vivaldi, Pax Hominibus
Dark Wave: Diary of Dreams, Drop Dead
Death Rock: Christian Death, Heresy
Folk: Loreena McKennitt, Mummer's Dance
EBM: Covenant, Go Film
Ethereal: Lycia, Pray
Industrial: Skinny Puppy, Assimilate
New Wave:The Cure, Charlotte Sometimes
Punk: X-Mal Deutschland, Incubus Succubus
Rock: Sisters of Mercy, Black Planet
Synth Pop: SwitchBlade Symphony, Wallflower

while some of these might be argued to be too mutt-blooded to be truly "goth", they all get played in goth clubs and are listened to and danced to by lots of gothy types. which is more goth, bauhaus or siouxie? they sound so different, they couldn't possibly be the same type of music.

they're not. they're different subgenres, but they're both goth.  

misstree

Red Jumpsuit Barrakus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:04 pm
mmm yes teach me pirate  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:06 pm
otep falls under death metal and nightwish falls under black metal i like them both  

BloodCrystals

BloodCrystals

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:08 pm
a little side note otep tends to lean towards satan worship and ive heard a hint or two in nightwishes lyrics  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:32 pm
LeoKats1712
a little side note otep tends to lean towards satan worship and ive heard a hint or two in nightwishes lyrics

Otep? Satanic? They may have Pigs heads on their stage, but I can't say i've ever heard any lyrics that directly lead me to assume that they are Satanic. and besides, True Satanism Is a very pagan religion, I have no problem with true satanists, those from anton LaVey's Church. But what most people refer to as satanism is just some Stupid Teenagers wanting attention.  

Dr_lecter1988
Crew

tsako

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:35 am
I didn't realise that there was so much to this. thanks for all the info.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:55 pm
darkdreams666
Craddle of Filth, Lacuna Coil, Otep, HIM, Nightwish, Murderdolls...I think these bands fit under the 'Goth' category...

And I don't know why, but for some reason, people think Linkin Park is goth, which is hilarious.

The only one of those bands even considered some-what goth is the murderdolls and there more horrorpunk than anything.  

needs a name

needs a name

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:57 pm
misstree
imho, there is no such thing as "pure" goth... even such bastions as sisters of mercy and dead can dance would be quite different categories... but there are different regions in this great land, and this interesting outline was blatantly ripped off from sfgoth.com:

while some of these might be argued to be too mutt-blooded to be truly "goth", they all get played in goth clubs and are listened to and danced to by lots of gothy types. which is more goth, bauhaus or siouxie? they sound so different, they couldn't possibly be the same type of music.

But Bauhaus is a key goth-rock band...one of the first to emerge in the goth scene. Siouxsie and the Banshees started out as post-punk.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:58 pm
Freya Silverflame
I think Attrition, Diva Destruction, Dargaard, Dulce Liquido, Cruxshadows and maybe the Mission UK could be considered "Goth"

Most people think Rammstein is goth. While I ADORE them, I think they would go under the "Industrial/EBM" label instead.

And Alice O'Connor, here's from one fellow Jack Off Jill fan to another! *huggle*

The Cruxshadows are darkwave due to the more electronic sound. Attrition though is goth.  

needs a name

ceilisidhe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:18 pm
misstree

I must thank you for having the insight to post as it truly is essential to realize the true diversity beneath the umbrella term of "goth". I have had the fortune to speak with members from many bands ranging from Type O Negative to Bauhaus and, while diverse, all have one sentiment in common: goth is much more than black clothes and staring at non-goths.  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff