Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Please help me clarify my spiritual beliefs, thank you! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tikat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:56 am
A little bird told me...

I found English translations of key texts.

This is a key text in the theological and philosophical world view.
It uses metaphor in addition to a pragmatic approach to illustrate the basic principals.

This is a commentary on the other religion's sacred texts from the world view you responded to.

This is a brief overview. Not the most accurate, but it gives one impression of the tradition.

A better general overview.

Adolphe Franck made commentary that isn't as historically sound as some. But it is an interesting read.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:58 am
Deoridhe
Dying and reborn gods are in most, and afterlives are in all.

Are afterlives really in all non-Abrahamic religions? I don't specifically have a religion without an afterlife in mind. I guess I never really thought about it before, but simply assumed it wasn't universal.

Not sure it's relevant, but I do know that some Buddhist sects have rejected the idea of rebirth as incompatible with the principle of anatta (no-soul, no-self), and the vast majority except for some extinct sects consider rebirth to be entirely impersonal (not like reincarnation).

I'm pretty sure that Taoism has no belief in an afterlife -- except as the concept of "non-being". Living and not-living are parts of the Tao, but I am not sure that counts as an afterlife, exactly. Individual Taoists might have different beliefs, I'm not sure.  

MoonJeli

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:38 pm
MoonJeli
Deoridhe
Dying and reborn gods are in most, and afterlives are in all.

Are afterlives really in all non-Abrahamic religions? I don't specifically have a religion without an afterlife in mind. I guess I never really thought about it before, but simply assumed it wasn't universal.

Not sure it's relevant, but I do know that some Buddhist sects have rejected the idea of rebirth as incompatible with the principle of anatta (no-soul, no-self), and the vast majority except for some extinct sects consider rebirth to be entirely impersonal (not like reincarnation).

I'm pretty sure that Taoism has no belief in an afterlife -- except as the concept of "non-being". Living and not-living are parts of the Tao, but I am not sure that counts as an afterlife, exactly. Individual Taoists might have different beliefs, I'm not sure.

Belief in an anatta rebirth is still a belief in an afterlife, though it's near the edges. Tao I don't know as much about. My guess is, the closer a religion becomes to a philosophy, the closer it comes to not having features of a religion, like gods and afterlives, and experiential places made, like holidays and rituals.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:00 am
Sry I am taking longer then expected to reply...I'm jsut going through some real life emotional family matters. I'll be ok (no worries),...I
just have to tackle some of my unresolved past. I think I should be better pretty soon.

Anyhow, tikat, plz feel free to answer my profile comment questions on here or pm me..whatever u prefer and thanks.  

patience1984

8,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Healer 50
  • Megathread 100
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items