High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:50 am
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

What she did was not love by any means. It was just insanity.

I agree. But I also think that eating and drinking the body and blood of the person who saved you in the metaphorical form of bread and wine is insanity, so who am I to judge?

And you call yourself open-minded?? eek Now, if we were doing it literally, that would be insane.  
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:33 pm
Priestley

Again, I refer you to Paul and his use of the Lord's Supper as a metaphor for how the Church must be subject to the Spirit despite differing points of view, not holding one's own point of view above, before or higher than one's brothers' -- basically.

*shrug* This is just going to be another church matter where I stand slightly to the left of the general agreement. I tend to think about faith matters very, very differently than almost everyone else. And you know what? I'm okay with that. xd

Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar

I agree. But I also think that eating and drinking the body and blood of the person who saved you in the metaphorical form of bread and wine is insanity, so who am I to judge?

And you call yourself open-minded?? eek Now, if we were doing it literally, that would be insane.

Heh. I vote that Lethkhar's insane for not believing as we do in the first place. lol heart you Lethkar.  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

It's just part of ceremony and tradition. It's just like ceremony in joining a sorority or fraternity. When I was initiated into my sorority... well there's some pretty interesting traditions that go down. All harmless, mind you, but still, weird and seemlingly pointless to outsiders, much like the communion would be to someone outside the church.  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:25 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

If you call grape juice blood and crackers flesh, then yes, we do. Btw, its Guardian.

1000 gold to anyone who knows what my username means. Very few, if any of you probably do.  

xxPromarkxx

Priestley

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:53 pm
ryuu_chan
Priestley

Again, I refer you to Paul and his use of the Lord's Supper as a metaphor for how the Church must be subject to the Spirit despite differing points of view, not holding one's own point of view above, before or higher than one's brothers' -- basically.

*shrug* This is just going to be another church matter where I stand slightly to the left of the general agreement. I tend to think about faith matters very, very differently than almost everyone else. And you know what? I'm okay with that. xd

Oh, c'mon, you can't sidestep the issue like that. If you feel God has revealed to you a different view than the particular issue we're discussing, surely it would show love to your brother to share this view for the benefit of other people here. confused  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:01 pm
freelance lover
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

It's just part of ceremony and tradition. It's just like ceremony in joining a sorority or fraternity. When I was initiated into my sorority... well there's some pretty interesting traditions that go down. All harmless, mind you, but still, weird and seemlingly pointless to outsiders, much like the communion would be to someone outside the church.

Hm, it depresses me that you would compare the Last Supper to a fraternity/sorority hazing.  

Priestley

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:25 pm
Priestley
freelance lover
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

Hm, it depresses me that you would compare the Last Supper to a fraternity/sorority hazing.
Yeeeeeah....

How about the swearing in of a public official?
Might that be a better example?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:40 pm
Ixor-san
Priestley
freelance lover
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

Yeeeeeah....

How about the swearing in of a public official?
Might that be a better example?

That's a far better example. I mean public officials are supposed to make such pledges/oaths/words meaningful to themselves, right? 3nodding  

Priestley

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:29 pm
Priestley
freelance lover
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

Actually, it's not hazing. By definition, hazing is anything that you do to pledges to make them feel uncomfortable or excluded. There's a different between tradition and hazing. Sorry, I really hate the sorority stereotype because my house is definetly NOT like the stereotype. Wouldn't be the first time I've encountered it, but still confused

My point was- for inititation, or even opening and closing formal meetings with my sorority we have traditions we go through. To anyone else, it wouldn't make any sense, but in our sisterhood, it binds us together in the things that Alpha Chi Omega stands for.

In the church, communion as well as many other traditions have been passed down for hundreds of years and if you're not in that community, you're not going to understand it. But if you are, it binds you together with the faith community, knowing that every other member of this community has taken part in the same traditions and future members will as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:29 pm
freelance lover
Priestley
freelance lover
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

Actually, it's not hazing. By definition, hazing is anything that you do to pledges to make them feel uncomfortable or excluded. There's a different between tradition and hazing. Sorry, I really hate the sorority stereotype because my house is definetly NOT like the stereotype. Wouldn't be the first time I've encountered it, but still confused

My point was- for inititation, or even opening and closing formal meetings with my sorority we have traditions we go through. To anyone else, it wouldn't make any sense, but in our sisterhood, it binds us together in the things that Alpha Chi Omega stands for.

In the church, communion as well as many other traditions have been passed down for hundreds of years and if you're not in that community, you're not going to understand it. But if you are, it binds you together with the faith community, knowing that every other member of this community has taken part in the same traditions and future members will as well.

Hence, Communion. xd  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:27 am
Fushigi na Butterfly

Hence, Communion. xd

That's awesome. 10 points for you Fushigi biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:54 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
freelance lover
Priestley
freelance lover
Fushigi na Butterfly

Hence, Communion. xd

Yup, gold star to you! 4laugh

Sorry for the comparison to hazing, but I see fraternities/sororities traditions as being quite bleh and pointless. Of course, I am English and I've not gone to university, so that might have something to do with it. 3nodding

Seriously, though... one can understand something like communion without being part of the community. But it is as you say, partaking in certain communal behaviours and acts can have a binding effect. The same can be said for the opposite: not partaking in communal behaviours can have an alienating effect. However, if you're going to reduce communion to tradition for tradition's sake, you might as well not bother. sad

The point I'm trying to make is that communion should be a significant moment in one's relationship with God and an affirmation of Jesus' love for us and our love for one another. Paul certainly doesn't take the subject of communion lightly! confused

Priestley

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:56 pm
Priestley
Fushigi na Butterfly
freelance lover
Priestley
freelance lover
Fushigi na Butterfly

Hence, Communion. xd

Yup, gold star to you! 4laugh

Sorry for the comparison to hazing, but I see fraternities/sororities traditions as being quite bleh and pointless. Of course, I am English and I've not gone to university, so that might have something to do with it. 3nodding

Seriously, though... one can understand something like communion without being part of the community. But it is as you say, partaking in certain communal behaviours and acts can have a binding effect. The same can be said for the opposite: not partaking in communal behaviours can have an alienating effect. However, if you're going to reduce communion to tradition for tradition's sake, you might as well not bother. sad

The point I'm trying to make is that communion should be a significant moment in one's relationship with God and an affirmation of Jesus' love for us and our love for one another. Paul certainly doesn't take the subject of communion lightly! confused

Agreed on all points. Really, doing anything in the church for the sake of just doing it is silly. Everything should be about your relationship with God and with the community.  
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:36 pm
Edge of Ether
I would like to say that i have noticed a problem with Christians today: We have been accepting too much of what secular society is teaching.

The most important thing is how Christians are letting their opinions replace what the Lord has taught us in his word. Because of the sheer volume of topics that are constantly talked about, and because of flawed logic, many Christians have begun to replace guidelines for living with justifications for sin.

The Bible is the Truth.

There is no more or less. No maybes or ifs. No opinions.
The Bible was written with the ability to adapt to a person's problems, to show new light in a dark situation, however, the Bible was not written so that we could justify our sin.

Legalism is just as bad as justification. Those who take every passage literally are no less guilty than those who twist the Bible's guidelines to suit their own preferences.

As an example, homosexuality is a black and white matter; It is a sin, God condemns all homosexual acts, and in fact Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because of it. To say anything else on the matter is to claim that God's word is wrong. There is no debate, no opinion, that supercedes the Bible.

This will hurt many peoples feelings, but hurt feelings are better than sin-wrought thoughts.

Crucify yourself. Crucify your thoughts. Crucify your beliefs and opinions.
And read God's Word. All the answers are there.

Follow Christ. He did not discriminate, he did not refute his Father's word.
So many Christians today have joined in the world's beliefs, and have left behind what the Bible says. We are supposed to be separate from the world, to stand apart from everyone else's opinions.

Please everyone, remember that His word is absolute.
We are Disciples, not his partners. He determines right and wrong, he determines what sin is or is not. and he laid it all out in his word.

I am sorry to sound so harsh. Prophetic message has always cut to the bone. The words are sharp, but they will mend your heart, should you head them.
==============================================

God bid me to write everything above. HE wants people to hear Him, to read His word, and to know what he commands.

Thank you all for listening, God bless each of you.

(For all those wondering, I recommend "The Message" version of the Bible, it is wonderfully written/translated and is probably the most accurate in terms of meaning.)
I do not want to flame, and I respect your opinion, but I believe the bible is a document to be taken with a grain of salt. It was written by the Apostles, not God, so who knows if it is really God's word? I myself am gay, and do not see the problem. Why would God condemn someone for something that harms none?  

Boadicea Boudicca

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:07 pm
Valley, I find your position on the Bible to be very interesting (I read your join request). You realize that without the Bible we have nothing, right? Sure, anyone can claim to hear God, usually they're schizophrenic or otherwise delusional (there are some genuine prophets though, I'm not claiming that), but the Bible has everything that God wants for us. All of the standards God wants us to strive for. It was written by men, but inspired by God. Dictated, if you will.

I'm not trying to bash or judge or anything like that; I'm just trying to understand how, as a Christian, you find the Bible to be sketchy at best.

Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff