Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Music - Related Topics
What band/artist got you into our subculture's music? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

vincejustvince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:39 am
Bauhaus, Dead Can Dance, The Cure, Legendary Pink Dots.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:48 am
what got me into the style was first the appearance. I felt the appearence fit my personal self. it just appealed to me so much. I didn't start dressing gothy at all for a few years after i fell in love with the style but during that time i looked up the actual gothic culture and realized how much it was totally for me. I do listen to some gothic music but i mostly listen to almost anything.
I still don't dress all the gothic but thats cuz i can't afford many clothes that i like.
I'm gonna be DIY-ing soon though lol  

Miyu_Aizawa

II Ur Ex-Lover Is Dead II

Shirtless Nerd

8,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:55 pm
The bands that got me into the gothic culture were things like My Chemical Romance, Three Days Grace, Black Sabbath, Marilyn Manson, and Linkin Park. Seeing the music videos and the way the bands would dress really seemed more interesting every time I saw them to the point where I started getting more into the gothic subculture. So, I became a goth =3  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:55 pm
MyChemOtaku09
The bands that got me into the gothic culture were things like My Chemical Romance, Three Days Grace, Black Sabbath, Marilyn Manson, and Linkin Park. Seeing the music videos and the way the bands would dress really seemed more interesting every time I saw them to the point where I started getting more into the gothic subculture. So, I became a goth =3
Do you listen to any goth bands or just dress "gothic"?  

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:28 pm
MyChemOtaku09
That's like saying "reading about Scottish culture got me interested in Norwegian culture".  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:31 am
XWraith_LordX
MyChemOtaku09
That's like saying "reading about Scottish culture got me interested in Norwegian culture".

Not explicitly a problem. I know plenty of people who originally listened to mall-goth groups only to later find real goth groups by proxy.  

GilAskan
Crew

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:16 pm
GilAskan
XWraith_LordX
MyChemOtaku09

Not explicitly a problem. I know plenty of people who originally listened to mall-goth groups only to later find real goth groups by proxy.
Yes but she apparently still thinks that those bands are goth, so someone better tell her about the Sister of Mercy quick. I'm not saying that's a problem I'm just basically telling her that those bands aren't goth. Norwegian culture and Scottish culture are two different things....Linkin Park and the Bauhaus are two different things...  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:51 pm
You'll have a hard time believing this one.

Insane Clown Posse.

I know they always get the most hate out of any band [that belongs] in this subculture, but they've actually made some valuable contributions as far as I'm concerned.

Before I'd ever heard ICP's music, I was listening to any popular music I could find. Mostly video game music and rap. The closest thing I listened to metal was Poweman 5000. But ICP actually helped me get into other music. First it was bands like Slipknot and System of a Down (as well as other bands on the psychopathic record label), then Marilyn Manson, Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against The Machine, Slayer, KoRn, MSI all followed.

Now I'm finding myself listening to all kinds of Death Metal, Black Metal, Gothic Metal, when 4 or 5 years ago I would've never even given System of a Down a second listen.

People should be more willing to try different types of music.

I'm glad I did, all the artists I listen to now make the artists I listened to before that seem talentless.

MCL  

Maniacal Hatter

Shirtless Raider

8,500 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200

Lucifer Over London

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:37 pm
TwiztidMetal
You'll have a hard time believing this one.

Insane Clown Posse.

I know they always get the most hate out of any band [that belongs] in this subculture, but they've actually made some valuable contributions as far as I'm concerned.

Before I'd ever heard ICP's music, I was listening to any popular music I could find. Mostly video game music and rap. The closest thing I listened to metal was Poweman 5000. But ICP actually helped me get into other music. First it was bands like Slipknot and System of a Down (as well as other bands on the psychopathic record label), then Marilyn Manson, Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against The Machine, Slayer, KoRn, MSI all followed.

Now I'm finding myself listening to all kinds of Death Metal, Black Metal, Gothic Metal, when 4 or 5 years ago I would've never even given System of a Down a second listen.

People should be more willing to try different types of music.

I'm glad I did, all the artists I listen to now make the artists I listened to before that seem talentless.

MCL

Nothing you've said has any relation to goth whatsoever. ICP? WTF kind of crack are you smoking?  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:04 pm
Fine, I accepted all the hate just by posting that, but I don't really think anyone that posts s**t like this has really even listened to them.  

Maniacal Hatter

Shirtless Raider

8,500 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200

Lucifer Over London

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:37 am
TwiztidMetal
Fine, I accepted all the hate just by posting that, but I don't really think anyone that posts s**t like this has really even listened to them.

I've heard every band you've mentioned, and seen many of them in concert, some multiple times. None of them have the slightest thing to do with goth in any way, especially ICP.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Lucifer Over London
TwiztidMetal

I've heard every band you've mentioned, and seen many of them in concert, some multiple times. None of them have the slightest thing to do with goth in any way, especially ICP.
Although I agree with you, I think your previous comment about cracksmoking was a bit uneccessary.

Related to this:

One thing I've noticed in many introductions from new members is a high frequency of bands like TwiztidMetal listens to and not too many mentions of the Bauhaus, Fields of the Nephilim, Christian Death, or other goth bands. I'm not sure if those people think that what they listen to is goth or not, but I have a feeling they don't...  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Lucifer Over London

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:09 pm
XWraith_LordX
I'm not sure if those people think that what they listen to is goth or not, but I have a feeling they don't...

TwiztidMetal

Insane Clown Posse.

I know they always get the most hate out of any band [that belongs] in this subculture

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:33 am
Adam Sandler.

Not even joking.

He was in this movie called The Wedding Singer, which I was like, obsessed with. Amazing 80s music on the movie. My dad eventually broke down and bought me the two part soundtrack, which had a song called "Just Can't Get Enough" on it. Depeche Mode. I heard the song. Thought it was ok. Heard it again. Growing. Heard it yet again, and loved it. My mum walked in on me one day listening to it and told me she listened to DM in her teens. I asked her if she had any CDs. She did, Black Celebration and Exciter. I popped in Black Celebration and fell in love. I listened to everything DM I could.

At least that was my best intro in memory. Mum always listened to DM and Siouxsie etc when I was little...I just don't remember it.

But...thinking about it....we watched a lot of WWF/WWE as I was growing up. Lots of metal bands on there at the time, Evanescence being one of them. I just don't remember if I heard Evanescence before that DM album....hmm.

GhoulPuppy

Whisper Gently

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:22 pm
Blutengel and KMFDM.  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items