Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
What are YOU currently reading? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:10 pm
soccerstars10
im reading Dragon rider by Cornelia Funke
xd

Ooh, I loved that book ^_^ Cornelia Funke is one of my fav authors.

Has she written anything new lately?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:12 pm
Techno Wielder
My neighbor recently dropped off a TON of books that had been sitting in her closet, and after swimming through the many I had already read, I came across two different books that caught my eye, and am now reading them.

The first is called Storm Thief. I love it, because it's so different! It's written like a typical young adult book, but the storyline is so well thought out! It's about these low-life teenagers who live in a city that shouldn't exist, and with it strange storms called probability storms come around. These storms can change anything they come across. For instance, Moa, one of the main characters, was right-handed the night before a storm, and after it passed, she woke up left-handed. And Rail, another main, lost his ability to breathe in the middle of a storm, and so has to wear a respirator everywhere.

The Storm Theif was great too! You should read Poison - it was written by the same author - I wished I remembered his name. I really like the dude's writing.  

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

mangagirl14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:02 am
I am currently reading a book called Many Stones by Carolyn Coman. I have only read a few pages. I just started the book today. It's alright right now. Not really exciting.

Here is the book description: Berry Morgan's Father hasn't been around much since the divorice, until the day he shows up at school to tell her that her sister Laura was brutally mudured. And then, for days afterward, he set up camp at the house and moved back in with them.

A year and a half later he arranged a trip to South Africa with berry reluctantly in tow to attend a memorial service at the school in CApe Town where Laura had voluntereered. Berry's father has planned some other activites as well: a business meeting in Johannesburg, a guided tour of Soweto, and a visit to Kruger National Park.

It sounded good to me so I picked it up from the library.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:38 am
Sita Carew
Techno Wielder
My neighbor recently dropped off a TON of books that had been sitting in her closet, and after swimming through the many I had already read, I came across two different books that caught my eye, and am now reading them.

The first is called Storm Thief. I love it, because it's so different! It's written like a typical young adult book, but the storyline is so well thought out! It's about these low-life teenagers who live in a city that shouldn't exist, and with it strange storms called probability storms come around. These storms can change anything they come across. For instance, Moa, one of the main characters, was right-handed the night before a storm, and after it passed, she woke up left-handed. And Rail, another main, lost his ability to breathe in the middle of a storm, and so has to wear a respirator everywhere.

The Storm Theif was great too! You should read Poison - it was written by the same author - I wished I remembered his name. I really like the dude's writing.

Yeah, at first I didn't find Poison that attractive, book-wise. But now that I've read and loved Storm Thief, I really want to read Poison as well. xD  

Techno Wielder

Lady Ayre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:14 pm
Right now I'm just a little over half-way in Bram Stoker's "Dracula"...

It isn't a light read, per se-- but it certainly has been quite the intriguing one. It is actually much less the gory bloodbath I had expected, and much more a moralistic/intellectual battle-- the outcome of which is most often determined by the the internal strength of one's character...Which, in my opinion at least, is a pretty worthy concept. I love Victorian-era novels, and I now happen to find myself seriously enjoying this dark chronicle of death, tarnished purity, and ever impending doom...Despite all the constant emphasis placed on how a 'true woman' should be (ie: submissive, compliant, pure, marrying being their greatest accomplishment in life and etc. XP ) and such...
...But again, that's Victorian society for you. rolleyes

Fortunately, most of the characters prove to be quite well-thought-out and admirable at least in one way or another...Especially the [surviving] supporting heroine of the novel, Mina Harker.
She saves the entire male-dominated storyline, let me tell you. 3nodding

I won't go completely into the hardcore feminist area though, because most of the male cast actually do happen to possess at least an admirable, if not a strong character. My favorites being (in order): Dr. Seward (his never-ending stream of logic tends to hold him back in some areas, though), Dr. Van Helsing (just plain cool), and Jonathan Harker (probably the most level-headed and strong-minded of the whole lot). =D

Harker would probably be my top favorite if not for the undeniable truth that one must adore the head of an insane asylum as a general rule dictated by the incontrovertible will of the universe...

...Really... ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:27 pm
I am reading the Lord of the Rings for around the 12th time.  

Thrain Okensheild

Underestimated_Angel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:31 pm
Thrain Okensheild
I am reading the Lord of the Rings for around the 12th time.

Impressive. Lhia and I used to be like that with Harry Potter, but now that the series is over, its lost some of its thrill. I'm taking a break from it, but I'm gonna start it back up eventually. Still though. 12?!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:47 pm
i finsihed read blue noon (of the midnights series)
it had such a sad ending! crying

and right now im read Artemis Fowl : the lost colony 3nodding  

soccerstars10

Dunsinane Hill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:04 pm
Just started the first book in The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. I think it's called Lord Foul's Bane. It's pretty good. I'd been taking a break from swords-and-horses fantasy for a bit (with the exception of re-reading my favorite bits of Lord of the Rings), so getting back into it has been interesting. The main character is the most unlikable hero I've ever encountered, which is saying a lot, because I love anti-heroes. The guy has leprosy, which has made him incredibly bitter and closed off. It's too soon to make any sort of judgement, but the book is starting out quite well. It comes with a hearty recommendation from a friend of mine who reads almost nothing but fantasy, so it can't be that bad!

Has anybody else read it?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:34 pm
sorry, havn't. I am currently reading the classic Gone With the Wind. who's read it? how'd you like it? is it worthy the all-time classic title?  

Lady Whispers

Minerva the Bookwyrm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:48 pm
Silver's Bane by Anne Kelleher

1. What is the book about?
It takes place in medieval times and is about how sidhe, mortals, and goblins work together and/or have wars with each other. One of the sidhe goddesses needs her magical Silver Caul returned to her in order for her to put the right faery on the throne or the land of Faerie will perish.

2. Do you like the book so far? Why or why not?
I like it, but don't love it. It's good because it's so vivid that you feel as if you're there no matter if the scene involves battle, rituals, or sex. Negatively, I'm apathatic towards all of the characters.

3. Have you previously read anything by the author?
No

4. Is it a series?
It's related to Kelleher's book Silver's Edge, but I don't know if they're strictly a series, or if the books that are simply related and can be read independantly.

5. Would you place this book among your top read? Why or why not?
No. I like the writing style quite a bit, however, what I love most in a novel are the characters, and this book has none that I either strongly likely or strongly dislike.

6. Is the style of writing bizzare or new to you?
Bizarre? No, but it's refreshing since I don't see it often.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:24 pm
Currently I am reading 1984 à George Orwell.
=)
(Finally! I've been meaning to read it for ages.)

1.] The book is about the life of Winston Smith in a totalitarian world. "Big Brother is watching you"~
2.] Yes, I am enjoying the book very, very much. It's far better than my other two novels this summer. ><
3.] Yes, I've read George Orwell before, he is one of my preferred authors. =) <3
4.] Nope, not a series.
5.] Yes, it's one of my top reads.
6.] No, his style of writing is not new to me. :]  

Bon Matin

Phoelidae

Dangerous Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:31 am
I'm just about done with Legacy by Cayla Kluver. It's a very intersting sort of medieval forbidden love story, but not in a stereotypical way. I like it, but then I'm not very fussy smile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:31 pm
T s u k i`
Currently I am reading 1984 à George Orwell.
=)
(Finally! I've been meaning to read it for ages.)

1.] The book is about the life of Winston Smith in a totalitarian world. "Big Brother is watching you"~
2.] Yes, I am enjoying the book very, very much. It's far better than my other two novels this summer. ><
3.] Yes, I've read George Orwell before, he is one of my preferred authors. =) <3
4.] Nope, not a series.
5.] Yes, it's one of my top reads.
6.] No, his style of writing is not new to me. :]

OMG. 1984 is one of my favorite books in the whole world. I hope you enjoy it immensley.

I'm reading the Earthsea Cycle by Ursula K. Le Guin. I read A Wizard of Earthsea, and I'm starting The Tombs of Atuan. They're great.  

Dunsinane Hill

Blue Bit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:48 pm
I'm reading Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce. Trickster's choice was the first book I'd ever read by her, but they were so good, I just ordered her earlier series about Tortall.  
The Friends of English Magic Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff