Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Body Mod and the Divine Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Body Mod for spiritual reasons?
Yes!
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
Never!
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Ouch?!
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
Poll Ninja
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 26

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:33 am
~with permission from my Domini~
In the order I study under, alteration of the body is considered a useful exercise. It can help build a pain tolerance, and it demonstrates a manifest mastery of the self.
Furthermore, provided propper preparation, diagrams and incantations can be engraved in the flesh, but doing so is a long and troublesome task of obtaining the propper ingredients to make the inks, dyes, brands, needles and knives.
Not to mention the actual inscribing rituals themselves.

While I applaud the dedication of those who would undergo this and have witnessed the tangible benefits, it's not personally for me.
I'll stick to my permanent heraldry.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:53 am
My personal views

TeaDidikai
So- when it comes to body modification and spirituality, where do folks come down?

I think, if it's done safely, then body mod can be a beautiful and creative way to use of Divine-given freewill to express ourselves.

TeaDidikai
Have any nice pieces?

Nothing other than my ears pierced once.

TeaDidikai
Any plans for nice pieces?

I'm thinking of travelling the world and recieving small symbolic tattoos/piercings from every culture I can to show respect and the unity of mankind.

TeaDidikai
How will you go about it? Will there be a ritual during the process? After or before it?

I'll have a small but joyous celebration for each tattoo/piercing before and after it's put on.

TeaDidikai
What terms and conditions would you put on it?

It has to be a positive symbol for the culture.

TeaDidikai
Pain killers okay?

If it's an absolute nessecity (sp). I mean, your body produces it's own pain killers.

TeaDidikai
What kind of social implications do such things imply in a) the pagan community and b) Outside the community when non-pagans see such things?

I think everyone on both sides of the spiritual fence is growing more tolerance and accepting of body mod.  

crystal_raye

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:30 pm
missmagpie
Yay thread! So are you going to post what you want to get as a tattoo, Tea? Or is it a secret?

It's not a secret. It's just... difficult to describe.

I think I have finally found the artists I want to do my work. So I am starting to gear up.

On my shoulder I plan to have the Zagret Wygiecie with a wreath around it. The limbs of the wreath will extend down into a chevron decorated with the Kretalinia. They will arch up and under my breast to treat a little birthmark on my chest as though it is on a pillar in one direction, while the other direction will sweep around a Wszerchswiat designed to look like a compus rose, before making a graceful arch down my paraspinals. This scroll work will twist around a representation of the Fireflower as well.

At my low back will be a dualistic representiation of Sarah and one of Belibog (pardon the attempted phonetics. I can't figure out how to add in the correct letters on this computer.

Behind my ear will be a representation of a "Dream Walker".

But first- my nose ring.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:31 pm
phoenix shadowwolf
missmagpie
Erm. And what's a Valknot? ninja
here's a link that has some jewelry that shows some different valknots. from everything i've read, it's a 'knot of the slain'. generally associated with Odin, and generally only taken up by one when one acknowledges that they might die an extremely unpleasant death.
Erm. Ouch. sweatdrop

Tea: eek That sounds like an extremely complicated and beautiful tattoo. Will you show us pictures once it's done?  

Pelta

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:18 pm
missmagpie
phoenix shadowwolf
missmagpie
Erm. And what's a Valknot? ninja
here's a link that has some jewelry that shows some different valknots. from everything i've read, it's a 'knot of the slain'. generally associated with Odin, and generally only taken up by one when one acknowledges that they might die an extremely unpleasant death.
Erm. Ouch. sweatdrop

Tea: eek That sounds like an extremely complicated and beautiful tattoo. Will you show us pictures once it's done?
If you're still here in a year or so, sure.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:22 pm
Shimegamis_Rage
Aegishjalmar:
User Image

I actually plan on getting that done. I'm just not sure where I'll put it. sweatdrop Yours is lovely.

When my boyfriend and I eventually get married, I'd like to make a bindrune for good luck, good health, and love, and have it tattooed over my sternum (maybe), with a ritual to go along with it. I'm still not 100% sure on all of the details, or if I'm getting any more representing my beliefs other than those.  

queertastrophy

Aesi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:30 pm
I have one tattoo currently, a teal-centered sun, weakly inspired by an old friend's ideas of what makes an empire. I want to adapt it into a larger piece symbolizing wind, with sparrow's wings on my shoulderblades. But it probably wouldn't have religious connections.

If I get ink based on my faith, I would choose a symbol that honors the angel Michael in his roles as protector of the Jews, judge of souls, and the armor-bearing general. I have a strong appreciation for the traits of the Geburah sephirot: justice, masculine female, meeting place of external and internal perspectives. The angel Michael has sometimes been identified as the Primeval Adam, Adam Kadamon, who is the personification of the Tree of Life. And Michael represents many traits of Geburah. He is the final Judge, iconographically pictured with scales and a sword, and a liaison between Heaven and Earth, which have been philosophically symbolic of the external (physical, Earth) and the internal (intellectual/spiritual, Heaven).

A tattoo of Michael including iconographic references to Geburah would be an extremely important one for me. For this reason, I'd have to check out samples from many, many artists before deciding on the design. I'd like to have it drawn after the style of Filippo Lippi or the artist who painted the arched piece of the works of the Anti-Christ and included himself along with Fra Angelico in the bottom left corner. I just studied that painting last night and I can't remember his name now. sweatdrop But the cost of just auditioning artists puts this piece far into the future.

Whether or not I'd have ritual involved in the inking would depend on if I could find a Qabbalic rabbi within reasonable distance who can and is willing to perform it. Finding someone who clearly understands the meaning and purpose of the ink would also require much interviewing, I think.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff