Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
Silly Reading Habits~ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Muffins or Cupcakes??
  Muffins! A-Duh...
  Cupcakes of course!
View Results

Gallivespian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:56 pm
evanna11
People highlight their books?!!I would only do that when I had 2 copies of the book...
About folding pages stuff, I do that whit my bookmark..It is so completely ruined razz . I can read almost everywhere(in the car too, I get carsickness more often when I am not reading in a car razz ).
I try to keep my books very neat, but I just can't..My Harry Potter books are totally ruined (especially 5). I like reading with some background music, so I do not hear any other things and I can be totally" in the world of the book".
I have the really bad habit of reading instead of doing my homework ..I also get up really early to read something, that is how I get rid of the sleep(and come almost to late in class).And I go to bed really late sometimes..Not really smart..

WOW!!! same here for like everything u say too! I also hate it when people highlight their books, I mean what is the point? When you read it again, your eyes will only go to those higlighted parts (the evil doings of the highlighter). You completely miss the entire story! Also, doggy paging the books is torture! I mean I just want to save the book when I see saomeone doing that. I memories the page number (and my teahcers are amazed at how I am getting Bs). Lol, if you think your Harry Potter 5 book is bad you should see mind... OUCH! Anyway, I can't listen to music while reading, it gets to annoying. I love to read in the car and I am reading 24-7 so I never do my homework (which explains my D in math)  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:56 pm
twilightem
I tend to read all the time, especially in biology class. It sounds fun, but gets me into lots of trouble. Like last Wednesday:

Mrs. V(my bio teacher): Emily, what are you doing?
Me: Uhh looking over that book about the IEP project.
Mrs. V: I appreciate your enthusiasm, but please don't read that while I'm teaching.
Me: Ok.

I'm serious. My biology teacher is a ditz. A nice person, but a ditz. A couple weeks ago she lost our tests, so we didn't take them for two days till she found them. On her kitchen counter. xd

XD that's awesome  

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:05 pm
Conall the Wanderer
~Arabella Strange~
I mess up the pages.

I take a piece of a page, fold it so it forms a sort of triangle, and push it out. It results in a huge crease, a curving of the pages (if I do it all over the page) and sometimes ripps. I like the feeling of the book when the pages are curly.

I also bend the edges about a 1/4 of an inch towards the center. Yet more page-curving. smile
I do the same thing with pushing the folds out. It started with science books when I was little because I liked the sound it made. smile

LadyMarcy
I do that corner-crinkley thing. When I'm reading, I have one hand on the corner of the page and I kind of fold it and continously make a crease...but it's not really folding. I don't know how to explain it...

My friend use to watch me do that and cringe.

Hooray! ^_^

This is what I do:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Only October Girl
Sometimes I have to put the book down and put on my ipod, listen to some music, and just imagine what the scene I'd just read would look like in real life. Other times I just need to move around, so I'll put the book down, listen to my music and just imagine the book from the beginning, with me as either the main character or a supporting character.

Weird, huh?

I sort of do that - or else when I'm reading a book, I get so caught up in my own daydream (throughout my whole life, I have a private daydream story with me in it I'm working on in the back of my head I add to when I'm not doing anything or talking) that I put the book down and skip madly, daydreaming (when I daydream, I have to move, getting faster and faster until I stop, exhausted). Then I have to stop so I can read more - and then I have to put down the book and SkipDream more - and then read more - etc. It's a bit annoying.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:35 pm
I will read a chapter in a book and then I will picture exactly how I would make it into a movie. I would imagin the effects and exactly how I would accive them. I also pick out the sceanery and who I would have act the parts. (I'm sudying to be a director) It makes it hard to finnish a book because I spend so much time picturing the sceans  

Kaila_C

Gallivespian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:47 am
Kaila_C
I will read a chapter in a book and then I will picture exactly how I would make it into a movie. I would imagin the effects and exactly how I would accive them. I also pick out the sceanery and who I would have act the parts. (I'm sudying to be a director) It makes it hard to finnish a book because I spend so much time picturing the sceans

Dude, same here!!!! I would like make an entire movie out of reading just one chapter. It is sort of funny. But for you I guess it would make good practice since you want to be a director.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:38 am
Sita Carew

Hooray! ^_^

This is what I do:

That's exactly what I do. I hate it when the fold is too sharp when you push it out and it ends up ripping the page in that little triangle shape.  

Conall the Wanderer

Jynkers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:32 am
Sita Carew
(throughout my whole life, I have a private daydream story with me in it I'm working on in the back of my head I add to when I'm not doing anything or talking)

I do that too! I've always done, but I usually don't move whilst fantasizing - or whatever it is I'm doing >_>

But it's usually the highlight of my day, 'cept when it interferes with something, like reading evil sweatdrop

As for strange reading habits... I always talk to the story (not that I expect any answer, I'm just extremely talkative), and I have a tendency to say "we" instead of "they" when telling people about whichever book, because it's always like I'm there too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:48 am
Wazzuqo
Sita Carew
(throughout my whole life, I have a private daydream story with me in it I'm working on in the back of my head I add to when I'm not doing anything or talking)

I do that too! I've always done, but I usually don't move whilst fantasizing - or whatever it is I'm doing >_>

But it's usually the highlight of my day, 'cept when it interferes with something, like reading evil sweatdrop

I do that ALL THE TIME. Literally all the time. But I can't do it when there are too many things going on at once (like French class). Science class is good. xd  

Lhia Dunwaith

Ariele Ravenswing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:08 pm
I make notes in the margins and underline bits I particularly like 3nodding
Or when I disagree with an opinion, I write mine in next to the sentence...my friends tend to think this is weird xd  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:39 am
critternator

Sometimes when I read and I'm thinking so much about something, I will end up reading a whole page even though I wasn't even thinking about what I was reading, I was thinking about something else. Then I have to go back and read the whole page all over again. Has that ever happened to you?

What other silly things do you do when you read?

That happens to me a lot. It's really annoying. Sometimes I am trying to read a book while I am think about something else, so i end up staying on the same page for like 30min.  

mangagirl14

mangagirl14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:42 am
Wazzuqo
Sita Carew

As for strange reading habits... I always talk to the story (not that I expect any answer, I'm just extremely talkative), and I have a tendency to say "we" instead of "they" when telling people about whichever book, because it's always like I'm there too.

I do that too. I talk to the book or I will when I am reading it and a charcter is talking, I will talk how I imagine they would talk and I imagine what the look like. It's fun! I scream randomly while reading or laugh all of a sudden and people look at me like I am crazy.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:46 am
Firstly, I am yet another person with the running-story-in-back-of-my-head thing.
And when I read, I ALWAYS shake my right foot. Always. And I don't have any idea why.  

Phoelidae

Dangerous Survivor

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:54 pm
i do write my reactions in the margin.

things like "that's out of character!"

or "so sad"

or "whoa, didn't see that coming!"

it usually doesn't interfere with re reading especially since i only reread my very favorite ones.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:34 pm
xp Sometimes when I read a really good book, I get too into it. Like, if something happens that makes the main character mad, I get mad too. ^^; Its worse when its a really sad part, and I just start crying! xP And then my tears blur my vission which makes it impossible to read. I have to set the book aside just to stop crying so i can finish the chapter.

I also dont carry bookmarks around much and when I start a book I HATE closing it without something in it! So must of the time I just put it down, OPEN with the pages on the floor (or couch or bed or where ever i am). >< But this makes the pages kinda, like, wanna always open to THAT page! By the time I'm done with the book, its so worn out you'd think it was ages old!  

Utsuneko

DerringerMeryl87

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:03 am
I get really into the book.
Laugh out loud.
Cry.
Talk to the characters (I do this to my TV too).
And if I love the book enough to read it again, I laugh, cry, and talk in all the same places the second and third times through!

I'm also pretty bad about misreading a word and continuing to misread it for the next 3 or 4 times I read a book.
for example: In Harry Potter, I read it Hermoine. It just looked that way in my head until the 4th book when she tells Krum that it's Her-my-own-knee. I had to go back and look at the word again. and SUDDENLY it said Hermione!  
The Friends of English Magic Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff